Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2023 8:00 am  #101

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Phil, I agree and you weren’t being mean.  One of the major goals is to get to the NIT or NCAA.  People are so happy, and rightly so, about 20 wins that they set the bar low and think that is it. I’m very happy that we have 20 wins. But, an NCAA or NIT appearance is the goal.
Go Dukes.

3/06/2023 8:16 am  #102

CLK wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Pistol you and CLK are absolutely correct in your assumption that it would have been a no brainer to sign on for this outcome based on last year’s disastrous season. What you can’t deny is the frustration of knowing it could and should have been better. Believe me I only speak from the frustration of knowing my time of seeing a tourney appearance is on the clock so to speak. It’s also the frustration of seeing what I believe is an obstinacy by Dambrot to necessary change. 

It is not over my friend.  I still think despite yesterday's debacle this team has plenty of fight left in them and are capable of making a run.  Anyone says that they are not surprised at the success of this season needs to go back and read their preseason comments.  One person called me an armature internet annalist when I said that this could be the best team Dambrot has had on the Bluff.  Now they are Complaining that the team didn't win every game.  Too funny.  No matter how this turns out I believe there is serious reason for optimism if we can keep our core players.  You and Pistol did a good job of outlining our weaknesses and needs to be in the thick of it next year.  KD and staff need to get it done and keep the forward momentum.

Thanks all for your candid comments and analysis of this years team.  I am disappointed in the outcome of this game but by no means feel that its all over and the sky is falling.  CLK I admire your pre season prediction and it indeed did come true.  By no means do we even consider firing KD that would be rediculous, and I believe he will finish out his contract and perhaps get a final extension.  We definitely need to keep the nucleus of this team together for next year. Bring in a couple key pieces from the portal and continue on to the NIT or NCAA.  I am also not giving up on this year either.
GO Dukes

3/06/2023 9:25 am  #103

I've kept quiet since the loss Saturday but thought I'd chime in a bit after settling down. We've all seen teams get blown out in one game but then come back to win next time they face the same opponent. Of course we have two losses to Fordham this season so there is a pattern developing of sorts. Do I believe we can even get to the Fordham game on Thursday. Absolutely I do. Can we win that game? Possibly. It would all have to come together for us. Fordham enters with a winning mindset having beaten us twice and clobbered us Saturday. The Dukes are coming in having experienced quite the opposite. This could be a telling factor in the outcome. However it all plays out, as I posted in a previous thread, next season looms large for KD and staff. If we hold serve on most of these players scheduled to return and add some significant pieces to the puzzle, next season could be one to remember. Let's do our best this week and see what happens during the offseason. Next year could be the most significant one for the Dukes in a long time. Fingers crossed!

3/06/2023 9:33 am  #104

Motor, it is great having you back on this board.  If not for the pioneering effort of you, Denny and Len we may not have had these forums.  Wish we could get Denny back posting again.

Over the past 45 years the biggest obstacle in the path of DU hoops has been the inept administrative leadership.  We finally, I believe, have a president and AD that get it.  I absolutely agree that there is no way Harper fires Dambrot.  Dambrot will either decide to retire or get an extension.  

FAM, the goal of getting back to the NCAA has not changed.  I don't believe that Dambrot or Harper have lowered the bar.  I think Harper realizes how step the hill is and recognizes the progress of this coach and what he has accomplished.  I think he will not listen to the anxious voices like other ADs and fire the coach and land back at ground zero.

3/06/2023 10:14 am  #105

CLK wrote:

Motor, it is great having you back on this board.  If not for the pioneering effort of you, Denny and Len we may not have had these forums.  Wish we could get Denny back posting again.

Over the past 45 years the biggest obstacle in the path of DU hoops has been the inept administrative leadership.  We finally, I believe, have a president and AD that get it.  I absolutely agree that there is no way Harper fires Dambrot.  Dambrot will either decide to retire or get an extension.  

FAM, the goal of getting back to the NCAA has not changed.  I don't believe that Dambrot or Harper have lowered the bar.  I think Harper realizes how step the hill is and recognizes the progress of this coach and what he has accomplished.  I think he will not listen to the anxious voices like other ADs and fire the coach and land back at ground zero.

I agree that there has been progress this year BUT we saw the same progress 3 seasons ago then it all came crashing down with player transfers and bad recruiting.  Let's say, for the sake of debate, that Dixon, Dae Dae, Matus, and Clarke enter the portal in the off season.  Or 2 or 3 of those players do.  Will we be surprised?  It's happened seemingly every season?  Will we say, "let's see what KD can do?"  I think we've seen from KD what he can do here at Duquesne in the A-10.  This is likely the limit.  If players stay, im for giving him next year to see if he can improve but I think we'll get a lot of the same - like the high water mark he hit with Sin, Marcus, Mike and Lamar.  But if they transfer on him, I don't see any good reason to keep him around.

3/06/2023 11:26 am  #106

Did I miss something? What is the status of Hronsky?

3/06/2023 11:32 am  #107

El Presidente wrote:

Did I miss something? What is the status of Hronsky?

Nothing that I know of (he did have Covid recently but he warmed up the last game I believe.)  I just used him as an example of the type of player who has seemed to transfer in the past

3/06/2023 11:35 am  #108

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I agree that there has been progress this year BUT we saw the same progress 3 seasons ago then it all came crashing down with player transfers and bad recruiting.  Let's say, for the sake of debate, that Dixon, Dae Dae, Matus, and Clarke enter the portal in the off season.  Or 2 or 3 of those players do.  Will we be surprised?  It's happened seemingly every season?  Will we say, "let's see what KD can do?"  I think we've seen from KD what he can do here at Duquesne in the A-10.  This is likely the limit.  If players stay, im for giving him next year to see if he can improve but I think we'll get a lot of the same - like the high water mark he hit with Sin, Marcus, Mike and Lamar.  But if they transfer on him, I don't see any good reason to keep him around.

Perfect segway!  The world of college basketball changed.  So, all of you fans who worry about kids being lured away from Duquesne can now put your money where your mouth is.to help keep them and also get better recruits.  How bad do you want to win?

Red and Blue Collective – Name Image Likeness

3/06/2023 11:51 am  #109

CLK wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Perfect segway!  The world of college basketball changed.  So, all of you fans who worry about kids being lured away from Duquesne can now put your money where your mouth is.to help keep them and also get better recruits.  How bad do you want to win?

Red and Blue Collective – Name Image Likeness

I love this!

3/06/2023 11:59 am  #110

CLK wrote:

Thanks CLK its great being back.  Folks also dont forget that CLK was also a founding father of the Dukes Boards.
Go Dukes

3/06/2023 12:33 pm  #111

Motor wrote:

CLK wrote:

Thanks CLK its great being back.  Folks also dont forget that CLK was also a founding father of the Dukes Boards.
Go Dukes

George Washington,Thomas Jefferson,Theodore Rosevelt, Abraham Lincoln & CLK😁 Bluff Rushmore National Park. Founding Dukes Forum indeed.👍

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/06/2023 12:35 pm)

3/06/2023 2:10 pm  #112

LOL, actually our friend Lenny was the person most deserving of that honor.  He had the technical knowledge to set up these boards, which 20 years ago was not that easy. He also had the personality, drive and love of the Dukes to keep it going.  Regrettably he is no longer with us but no doubt still rooting for his Dukes.  Would be great to win it all for him this year.

3/06/2023 5:54 pm  #113

phil95 wrote:

coffee wrote:

Honestly... we’ve had two good, winning coaches in 50 years and you people have the stupidity to want to drive this one away after being the only one of two to win 20 here at Duquesne.   Do you think KD got these kids from the chemistry classes?  He recruited these kids and they are doing far better than any other team in the last half century. 

No fan base?  Were you there last Sunday?

Get a job coaching somewhere if you know so much.

Coaches were not lining up to work here when we fire RE.   Get rid of KD and we get another Ferry and not 20 win season or a team playing for a double bye on the last day of the season.

KD knows what he’s doing.  He worked the transfer portal well and when the team is buying in, they have a chance.  Duquesne ain’t Duke or even Pitt.  Takes more to try to win here and KD is coming closer than any since the 1970’s.

I am not questioning or attacking your opinion. I am curious to know how many seasons you think KD should continue to coach at DU without an NIT or NCAA bid before being fired. Is it 7, 8, 9....?

I saw good reason to part ways at the end of last season. I now think KD has earned his 7th year but no more without at least an NIT bid.

Aside from last year he’s usually delivered a winning season combined with a top half finish in conference.  There are now 364 D1 teams nation wide.  To get a bid from this conference you need to be in the top 50 NET rating.  Even the NIT is stocked with conference winners who didn’t win their tournament now making it harder there too.

You are asking Dambrot to finish in the top 20% along with all the traditional powerhouses or lose his job after winning 20 for only the 3rd time in a generation?

Stay the course.  He’ll get us there.

Last edited by coffee (3/06/2023 5:56 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/06/2023 7:02 pm  #114

Give this link a break already? It's done. It's over. A-10 starts tomorrow. Move on.

Board footera