Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2023 7:53 am  #26

Re: 46 Years and Counting

Box & One wrote:

Ironic that VMI is on the list with the same time period … 1977 to today, considering that was the team that beat the Dukes in the 1977 tournament 66-73.
Saturday March 12, 1977.

They must be cursed with us.

Box & one that’s funny but sooo true. I thought Duquesne had the monopoly on the curse of Dudey Moore.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/19/2023 11:15 am)

3/19/2023 10:27 am  #27

Steel Bowl-  You have more patience than I for those who try to blame a half century of losing on one of the two only coaches who have gotten solid improvements in the program.

They show the same lack of background basketball knowledge and intelligence that got the other coach fired when he actually got within 5 points of going to the NCAA's.

There is no reasonable argument that will change their preconceptions even after the biggest turnaround season in Duquesne history.  I've given up responding to them since their minds are closed and they don't see the harm they do to the program when these kids and their families read their hateful self rigorous diatribes.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I'm really tired of even coming to this board anymore and hearing the same thing over and over and over again.  They are poison.

By the way, there is no curse... Just 35 years of poor university support followed by 10 years of people like them who think it's so easy and lack the patience to stick with an Everhart or a Dambrot and support the program.  It's easier to this stones and think they are smarter than they really are.

GO DUKES!!

I'll save you the trouble.  Dambrot is only the 4th ever to post more than one 20 win season at Duquesne... Ever.

Last edited by coffee (3/19/2023 11:06 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/19/2023 10:37 am  #28

coffee wrote:

Steel Bowl-  You have more patience than I for those who try to blame a half century of losing on one of the two only coaches who have gotten solid improvements in the program.

They show the same lack of background basketball knowledge and intelligence that got the other coach fired when he actually got within 5 points of going to the NCAA's.

There is no reasonable argument that will change their preconceptions even after the biggest turnaround season in Duquesne history.  I've given up responding to them since their minds are closed and they don't see the harm they do to the program when these kids and their families read their hateful self rigorous diatribes.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I'm really tired of even coming to this board anymore and hearing the same thing over and over and over again.  They are poison.

GO DUKES!!

What made it possible for KD's having the opportunity to engineer the greatest 1 year turnaround in school history?

Now I remember! He went 6-24 with a 17 game losing streak the year before.

3/19/2023 10:42 am  #29

Judging a 500 win career by his worst season shows your short sightedness and exactly what I mean.  Name the last 5 Duquesne coaches with multiple 20 win seasons.

How many in between?

I'll save you the trouble... Dambrot is only the 4th ever.

Last edited by coffee (3/19/2023 11:12 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/19/2023 4:46 pm  #30

coffee wrote:

Judging a 500 win career by his worst season shows your short sightedness and exactly what I mean.  Name the last 5 Duquesne coaches with multiple 20 win seasons.

How many in between?

I'll save you the trouble... Dambrot is only the 4th ever.

I am on the record for praising the coach for making some progress this season & being in position to field another respectable or better team next season.

I am also on the record as being disappointed by the fact that in 6 seasons this coach has accomplished very little when compared with the amount of institutional support he has been given as could be judged by any objective observer with a strong background in modern D-1 basketball.

6 years is a very long time in this business. 7 years is an eternity.

KD has another season to prove me & many others wrong. Based on the results of the last 2 weeks, I don't believe he can do that. His time has come to put-up or shut up has truly come.

I would be thrilled to be eating crow at this time next year.

3/19/2023 5:13 pm  #31

I believe KD's winning percentage is around 52%.  Not saying that's good, bad, or otherwise but that's pretty much what I expect to see moving forward over time. Really not what I expected at this point especially after 16, 19, and 21 wins in years 1,2, and 3. Since then we are 35 -46 in years 4,5,and 6. You make of that what you will.

3/19/2023 5:26 pm  #32

Some people have trouble with facts.

Number of NIT or NCAA tournaments Dambrot has taken the Dukes to?   Zero

Number of CBI wins:  0

A number of years ago Dambrot refused to consider the CBI and said that’s not what he came here for. This year all of a sudden it was good enough. BTW, he lost.

I agree that Duquesne has been dismal for years… very few 20 win seasons, correct. Those are facts.

Now, an opinion. if one isn’t upset that going into year seven,  we should be satisfied even though there hasn’t been an NCAA or NIT, your expectations for the program are lower than many on this board.

As a fan, Personally I expect more… that’s a fact.

3/19/2023 8:02 pm  #33

Pathetic again

3/20/2023 8:44 am  #34

Which of these schools would you rather be a fan of this morning: Princeton, Florida Atlantic, Fairleigh Dickinson, Furman or Duquesne?
For those who thought going to the CBI was a good idea - what an embarrassing farce that was.
How much disappointment and bs can a fan base stand?
Get the team in a league where they can maybe feel better about themselves.
Referees hear and see more than the average Joe fan

3/20/2023 7:51 pm  #35

I will go this far. KD. like RE, was brought in here to turn the program around, but, ofcourse, KD promised to bring DU back to the days his Dad played. Well, tall order that would likely never happen. But, after next year, DU should turn it over to Dru. Why? Because it makes sense. First, KD out-recruits at this level for years, because of his L.J. connection.  But Dru not only has played with LeBron, but remains close, and Dru, himself, played professional BB for 12 years.  That's a lot for a resume for this program to turnover a head coaching job to. Don't think DU needs to form a search committee and come up with a lesser prospect. It's very likely Dru will take a fast pace, pro style of play to the court, and win more often than not. Just my opinion.

3/20/2023 8:09 pm  #36

Mr. Basketball wrote:

Which of these schools would you rather be a fan of this morning: Princeton, Florida Atlantic, Fairleigh Dickinson, Furman or Duquesne?
For those who thought going to the CBI was a good idea - what an embarrassing farce that was.
How much disappointment and bs can a fan base stand?
Get the team in a league where they can maybe feel better about themselves.
Referees hear and see more than the average Joe fan

Never going to happen. DU is very fortunate to be in the A10 not only for the money provided though the TV contracts, but also for the exposure which helps with enrollment and sponsorship. As someone brought up small schools are struggling financially because of among other things reduced enrollment. St Francis Brooklyn just announced that they are dropping all D1 sports. Lesser league, no thanks.

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1637894867648147456?s=20

Board footera