Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2023 11:15 am  #1

Conference USA

Who saw this coming out of the 10th rated conference???

Florida Atlantic - Final Four
UAB and North Texas - NIT Championship Game
Charlotte - won CBI
Rice - beat Dukes in CBI

By my count, the conference is 17-1 in postseason tourney play. Wow!

3/29/2023 11:24 am  #2

Re: Conference USA

Big Ten 8 invited to big Dance no team reached reached final 8. Mid majors deserve better and they are what makes March Madness special and create interest.NCAA slow on figuring this out.

3/29/2023 4:48 pm  #3

Both posts above outline the problems that the future holds for all non P-5 Conferences in regard to postseason tournament births.  In reality the P-5 with the help of the pathetic parasitic NCAA has legislated against an abundance of non P-5 programs in the Tournament, to ensure even mediocre P-5 teams are included.  The "NET" rankings were very specifically devised to reward P-5 schools for playing a large number of Quad-1 and Quad-2 opponents each year, which they do automatically in their own conferences.  Non P-5 schools are seldom even granted the privilege  of playing one game against the higher ranked P-5 teams, and if they do, it will be with a weaker non-P-5 visiting a powerful p-5 team. It is like gerrymandering political districts.  They are designed so that only one side can win!  The NCAA cares not at all about non-football schools and would readily drop to its knees before any P-5 school, because if the NCAA becomes anything other than a pathetic tool of the P-5, they will simply be eliminated, and their lavish salaries will soon be reduced or eliminated.  Ironically, once the p-5 schools quit sharing the profits with the NCAA, and tell them to get lost, the NCAA will have only the non P-5 schools as a source of revenue!  

3/29/2023 5:13 pm  #4

Spot on Levon 👍

3/29/2023 5:52 pm  #5

Mike Rhodes from VCU is supposed to be going to Penn State.

3/29/2023 9:46 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

And Penn State won their conference tourney led by Siena, Bucknell, and Drexel transfers

3/30/2023 8:33 am  #7

applecorps wrote:

FAM wrote:

And Penn State won their conference tourney led by Siena, Bucknell, and Drexel transfers

Penn State lost their conference tourney championship game.  I can't stand everything about PSU and it irked me to see this post so I needed to correct it.   no hard feelings

3/30/2023 12:05 pm  #8

I'm not a huge Penn State fan either but they had a very competitive team this past season. Thought they were really coached up and got everything out of that team that was there. I don't always feel that way about our staff here. Truly hoping I have to eat those words! Would enjoy nothing more!!

3/30/2023 12:29 pm  #9

El Presidente wrote:

I'm not a huge Penn State fan either but they had a very competitive team this past season. Thought they were really coached up and got everything out of that team that was there. I don't always feel that way about our staff here. Truly hoping I have to eat those words! Would enjoy nothing more!!

One thing about KD teams at Duquesne is that they fade out.  Horrible finishes to almost every season.  I'm no coach and can offer no solutions but his teams seem to peak mid season.  need to correct that

3/30/2023 2:34 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

Both posts above outline the problems that the future holds for all non P-5 Conferences in regard to postseason tournament births.  In reality the P-5 with the help of the pathetic parasitic NCAA has legislated against an abundance of non P-5 programs in the Tournament, to ensure even mediocre P-5 teams are included.  The "NET" rankings were very specifically devised to reward P-5 schools for playing a large number of Quad-1 and Quad-2 opponents each year, which they do automatically in their own conferences.  Non P-5 schools are seldom even granted the privilege  of playing one game against the higher ranked P-5 teams, and if they do, it will be with a weaker non-P-5 visiting a powerful p-5 team. It is like gerrymandering political districts.  They are designed so that only one side can win!  The NCAA cares not at all about non-football schools and would readily drop to its knees before any P-5 school, because if the NCAA becomes anything other than a pathetic tool of the P-5, they will simply be eliminated, and their lavish salaries will soon be reduced or eliminated.  Ironically, once the p-5 schools quit sharing the profits with the NCAA, and tell them to get lost, the NCAA will have only the non P-5 schools as a source of revenue!  

Great point Levon. I did hear from a very reliable source that many of the non power 5 commissioners are weak in the presence of power 5 commissioners at the annual meetings. Yes the power 5 has the majority of leverage.  The  non power 5 commissioners need a counter plan or threat to gain some leverage come March when the designated committee hands out bids to the big dance. Even if the NCAA expands March Madness the more power 5 teams will simply get their ticket punched. Maybe the non powers focus on an NIT tournament format. Better yet a Super Bowl game at the end. Power 5 vs NIT. Everybody loves the underdog. Again can’t have weak commissioners begging for crumbs.

3/31/2023 10:41 am  #11

Styles1229 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

FAM wrote:

Penn State lost their conference tourney championship game.  I can't stand everything about PSU and it irked me to see this post so I needed to correct it.   no hard feelings

You're right, they lost by 2 to Purdue after fumbling an in-bounds pass. The point was that they were led successfully by low-major transfers.

Last edited by applecorps (3/31/2023 2:04 pm)

4/01/2023 8:55 am  #12

applecorps wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

You're right, they lost by 2 to Purdue after fumbling an in-bounds pass. The point was that they were led successfully by low-major transfers.

yes.  and agreed, the point was well taken.  

Board footera