!!insidediv!!

Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


UPCOMING GAMES:
Saturday, March 2: Duquesne @ George Mason. 2:00 PM
Tuesday, March 5: Duquesne @ VCU. 7:00 PM
Saturday, March 9: GW @ Duquesne. 2:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



4/14/2023 7:02 pm  #1


Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

 

4/15/2023 7:20 am  #2


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

I like these 2 players.  Hopefully one or both sign up. 
However we still need a Center 6-10 or 6-11 player for the final roster spot. He does not have to be all league but someone who could get you 8-9 Pts, 6-7 rebounds and block 1-2 shots per game.
What about PG then?  I know Rozier will play 15-20 minutes but who will be either the starter or backup PG?
Darthard appears to be a 2G.  From watching Clark play he could also play the point.
Go Dukes
 

 

4/15/2023 8:34 am  #3


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

I am with you Motor, but I think the coaching staff is well aware of the need for a true big/5.  It wouldn't surprise me if we actually get 2 bigs as Burre hasn't played a lot and we haven't heard anything about his medical condition.  Dixon is a 4 and should stay there.  I want to see where Matus plays as I think he can really good.  I agree that Darthard appears to be a 2 so I still wouldn't mind a 6'3" PG as well.  With Carney and McGriff in the portal and with the guys that have moved on (Easley, Rotroff, Reece and Brewer) it seems that we should have 6 scholarships available, but someone please verify for me - maybe I missed someone.  If I am correct we still have 4 left to offer so it will be interesting to see the composition.   

 

4/15/2023 8:39 am  #4


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

Motor wrote:

I like these 2 players.  Hopefully one or both sign up. 
However we still need a Center 6-10 or 6-11 player for the final roster spot. He does not have to be all league but someone who could get you 8-9 Pts, 6-7 rebounds and block 1-2 shots per game.
What about PG then?  I know Rozier will play 15-20 minutes but who will be either the starter or backup PG?
Darthard appears to be a 2G.  From watching Clark play he could also play the point.
Go Dukes
 

I like the idea of Clark at the point.  I've heard from people around him that he likes the point and sees himself as a point guard but, of course, have not seen much of him there so have no idea if he can do it.  

possible 5 at this point:
1. Clark/Rozier
2.Grant
3. Matus/Clark
4.Dixon
5. Chabi

 

4/15/2023 11:37 am  #5


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

2 concerns:
-How many PF/Stretch PF types can a roster sustain? (Dixon, Drames, Tre Williams, Hronsky, & Savrasov)
-How many players in the final year of eligibility is too many to keep the program running in the right direction from year to year? For example, if these 2 guys sign to join both Tres, Dae Dae, & both Drames, at least 7 players will move on at the end of the season before the inevitable portal victims or other possible fifth year guys that might be added. I like the experienced players but, there has to be some class balance to avoid having to bring in 8-9 new guys each season.

Having voiced those concerns, both of these players seem like strong roster additions to me, especially Savrasov. His combination of interior, exterior, & FT shooting percentages; rebound rate, experience, steal rate, & low foul rate are very hard to come by in a player his size.

Last edited by phil95 (4/15/2023 11:38 am)

 

4/15/2023 12:22 pm  #6


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

After having seen this video of Savrasov, I am now convinced that he would be our starting 3. I think that the combination of he & Matus at that position would be pretty great. They could both also see action as a Stretch 4 while Hronsky could also do some SG in large lineups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jJi2nTm-c

 

4/16/2023 9:12 am  #7


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

PistolPete wrote:

I am with you Motor, but I think the coaching staff is well aware of the need for a true big/5.  It wouldn't surprise me if we actually get 2 bigs as Burre hasn't played a lot and we haven't heard anything about his medical condition.  Dixon is a 4 and should stay there.  I want to see where Matus plays as I think he can really good.  I agree that Darthard appears to be a 2 so I still wouldn't mind a 6'3" PG as well.  With Carney and McGriff in the portal and with the guys that have moved on (Easley, Rotroff, Reece and Brewer) it seems that we should have 6 scholarships available, but someone please verify for me - maybe I missed someone.  If I am correct we still have 4 left to offer so it will be interesting to see the composition.   

Pistol I believe we have 3 more scholarships available to make 13 magic number. If by chance we sign the 2 visitors this weekend that will leave us with one.  However lets see how creative the Dambrot clan is?
2 Drame twins, 
Barre
Dixon
Hronsky
Williams
Clark
Grant
Rozier 
Barba
 

 

4/16/2023 9:37 am  #8


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

The last several recruits will be interesting and critical if the Dukes are going to be successful moving forward next season. I don't expect a blockbuster type of player and I don't believe that is necessary for success. If we have a roster of good to very good players who can play together at both ends of the court, we should be competitive in the A-10 exceeding what we accomplished during the past season. A true center would be welcome who, as previously suggested by Motor, could average 8-9 points, 6-7 rebounds, and block a shot or two, all the while playing good defense.  That kind of team could likely be top 4 in the conference and hopefully get an NCAA bid based on A-10 tournament results. Would probably need to be a 2 or 3 bid league for us to see that happen next year though.

 

4/16/2023 9:50 am  #9


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

As Myron Cope used to say "A little birdie told me....." there is a chance that Joe Reece will be given an  added year of eligibility due to circumstances while he was at his prior University and had either a medical or some other 
"legitimate" reason for missing a year of action.  A success by Reece would surely change what KD and his staff do with the portal eligibles. 

Last edited by grammudder (4/16/2023 9:51 am)

 

4/16/2023 10:27 am  #10


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

grammudder wrote:

As Myron Cope used to say "A little birdie told me....." there is a chance that Joe Reece will be given an  added year of eligibility due to circumstances while he was at his prior University and had either a medical or some other 
"legitimate" reason for missing a year of action.  A success by Reece would surely change what KD and his staff do with the portal eligibles. 

Huh! That/s interesting enough. If he does come back, it would be one more player leaving after next season. Don't know and really won't know how many that would be until the dust settles but I hate to see 75% of the team leaving. Guess that's a new reality in college basketball in particular.We will see what we will see.

 

4/16/2023 11:59 am  #11


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

grammudder wrote:

As Myron Cope used to say "A little birdie told me....." there is a chance that Joe Reece will be given an  added year of eligibility due to circumstances while he was at his prior University and had either a medical or some other 
"legitimate" reason for missing a year of action.  A success by Reece would surely change what KD and his staff do with the portal eligibles. 

Thanks Gram and if he does get another year would it count against the scholarship count?  Since the extra 
Covid year allowed players to use that year and not count against the limit.

 

4/17/2023 6:04 pm  #12


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

Motor wrote:

grammudder wrote:

As Myron Cope used to say "A little birdie told me....." there is a chance that Joe Reece will be given an  added year of eligibility due to circumstances while he was at his prior University and had either a medical or some other 
"legitimate" reason for missing a year of action.  A success by Reece would surely change what KD and his staff do with the portal eligibles. 

Thanks Gram and if he does get another year would it count against the scholarship count?  Since the extra 
Covid year allowed players to use that year and not count against the limit.

Interesting about Reece. I had wondered if he might be able to get another year of eligibility since he only played 15 minutes across 6 games his freshman year (2018-19) at Old Dominion. By comparison, Tevin Brewer played 10 games (starting all 10) his first season (2019-20) at Florida International (after two years in JUCO) before losing the rest of the season to injury. That season didn't count against his eligibility, he played two more years at FIU, then one at Duquesne. I'm not sure that Reese was ever injured that season, I think he was just a true freshman at the end of the bench on a deep team. But the NCAA does seem to give a lot more leeway than it did on redshirts. And NILs plus graduate degrees (Reese is really smart from what I've read) make another year of college basketball a better deal for a lot of kids than turning pro overseas or entering the job market.

If he gets another year of eligibility and stays at Duquesne to use it, I'm pretty sure he would count against the scholarship limit. Only 5th-year seniors who stayed put for the 2021-22 season didn't count against their teams' scholarship limits, I'm not aware that that one-off was extended beyond that season. If Reese gets another year and stays, then we'd have six scholarship players leaving (Brewer, Carney, Easley, Gunn, McGriff, Rotroff) and only two coming in (Drame twins) so potentially up to four scholarships still available, conceding of course that I have no idea who was on scholarship in the first place.

 

4/27/2023 1:51 pm  #13


Re: Two Players Visiting - Savrasov and Darthard

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum