Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2023 1:00 pm  #2

Re: Sad News - RIP Garry Nelson

Very troubled to hear this. I began my career at Duquesne in 1964 and graduated in '69 so was a huge follower of the Dukes and the Nelson twins. Sending condolences to Garry's family.

6/05/2023 2:36 pm  #3

Who can forget the sight of a large human driving a Vespa around campus?

6/05/2023 6:21 pm  #4

God rest his soul. Greatest one liner of all time .”I had a more difficult time with Bob Lanier rather then the 8 foot bear”

6/05/2023 7:09 pm  #5

Duquesne lost a great one.  My condolences to his family and friends.

6/06/2023 8:35 am  #6

When I was a kid Id go out shoot hoops and pretend I was Garry Nelson.His loss was kind of emotional because of all the interest I had in the Dukes at that time.Thanks for all the good memories Garry.

6/06/2023 8:46 pm  #7

Very sad news, Gary was a great guy on top of being a bball icon on the Bluff.  He even attended events that I and others sponsored to attempt to make Bball as priority for the Administration.  He will be dearly missed.  God bless and RIP Gary.  Prayers to the Nelson family. 

6/07/2023 4:05 pm  #8

I remember that star St B. center Bob Lanier identified Garry (and Barry too) as two hard knocking guys in the paint. It was high praise from a guy that tough.

6/07/2023 5:41 pm  #9

Finally I can see a few who date me....I knew Gary professionally but I can't remember seeing him play...my brain gets to maybe 70 or 71 with my die hard father at the arena...wow...wow

6/07/2023 7:59 pm  #10

I was in school with the Nelsons.
They were in Army ROTC.  They marched with the
the rest of the men, Wore suits. No uniform was big enough
for them. I asked them why they were in ROTC. Because of their
height they would be exempt. They replied for the easy A.
Before Towers, a cafeteria served the campus. My roommate told
me one of the Nelsons, it have been Garry, crashed his motorcycle into
a fence near the cafe. My roommate and several other guys watched and waited to see
what would happen. The Nelson got up, dusted himself off and asked 'Don't 
I get an applause?"
RIP Garry.

6/08/2023 7:53 am  #11

Econ u made me chuckle...

6/08/2023 8:01 am  #12

Econ69 wrote:

a fence near the cafe. My roommate and several other guys watched and waited to see
I get an applause?"
RIP Garry.

Great story.  I'm a little too young to remember those guys but their legend grows with each passing year.  And how times have changed, right?  Can you imagine the implications today of David Dixon crashing his motorcycle near a school building?!?  Sportcenter, national debate about the state of college basketball, the calling for KD's job because he can't control his players etc.

Last edited by Styles1229 (6/08/2023 8:02 am)

6/08/2023 7:27 pm  #13

Styles1229 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

I get an applause?"
RIP Garry.

Great story.  I'm a little too young to remember those guys but their legend grows with each passing year.  And how times have changed, right?  Can you imagine the implications today of David Dixon crashing his motorcycle near a school building?!?  Sportcenter, national debate about the state of college basketball, the calling for KD's job because he can't control his players etc.

And that same motorcycle ended up in the “repair garage” that was created in the common area on their floor in St. Martin’s. Took the motorcycle up the elevator.

If you only knew, Styles1229, if you only knew. RIP, Garry.

6/09/2023 10:44 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

I get an applause?"
RIP Garry.

And that same motorcycle ended up in the “repair garage” that was created in the common area on their floor in St. Martin’s. Took the motorcycle up the elevator.

If you only knew, Styles1229, if you only knew. RIP, Garry.

LOVE IT!  

6/11/2023 9:28 am  #15

I was blessed to know Garry and call him a friend.  We weren't close friends but it was always my pleasure to be around him and discuss various topics concerning Duquesne basketball.  His stories of his days on the Bluff were the greatest.  The one about the trip to Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood is one of my favorites.  The smiles that he and Barry have on their faces in the famous photo of them with Fred Rogers would make John Prine proud.  Here's a link to a column written by another old friend, George Von Benko.
https://archive.ph/2023.06.11-094808/https:/www.heraldstandard.com/sports/local/remembering-garry-nelson-and-when-the-dukes-were-kings-of-pittsburgh/article_5b7cb778-0706-11ee-9d2b-a32b8d8a3301.html

7/19/2023 8:30 pm  #16

For your consideration....

A Contribution may be made to The Garry A. Nelson Memorial Fund, supporting the Men's Basketball Program, by sending checks (with the fund name in the memo line) to Duquesne University, Administration Building, 600 Forbes Avenue, Room 406C, Pittsburgh, PA 15282.

Board footera