Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2023 7:01 pm  #1

Injury update

This is quite ridiculous that we have no idea of the status  of several players. If anyone has any intel please let’s this board know what’s up. Thanks in advance.

9/14/2023 8:31 pm  #2

Re: Injury update

I agree - I am hoping to attend the October 5th Duquesne Tip Off Event being a new season ticket holder.

I really want to know about the health status of:  Barre, Hronsky, and Mahoric.  Don’t need details just an update on where they are at and if cleared to play.  Maybe throw David Dixon in there as well.

9/15/2023 9:21 am  #3

I think they are all fine, and will be "cleared" eventually.   Right now, there is nothing to be cleared for, is there?   

9/15/2023 9:55 am  #4

Duquesne athletic dept treats fans with contempt.The biggest question marks all Duquesne fans have is the health of several members of the team and their availability for this season.Instead of addressing the issue
the last bit of information coming out of Duquesne is the coaching staff is out recruiting 3 players in North Carolina.Until Duquesne signs players to come here its not news worthy.If I lived locally you better believe
Id be pestering Duquesne for information on the status and progress our Dukes are making to be this special team the Dukes could be this season.

9/15/2023 10:05 am  #5

stew wrote:

Duquesne athletic dept treats fans with contempt.The biggest question marks all Duquesne fans have is the health of several members of the team and their availability for this season.Instead of addressing the issue
the last bit of information coming out of Duquesne is the coaching staff is out recruiting 3 players in North Carolina.Until Duquesne signs players to come here its not news worthy.If I lived locally you better believe
Id be pestering Duquesne for information on the status and progress our Dukes are making to be this special team the Dukes could be this season.

You know athletes have HIPAA rights like the rest of us.

9/15/2023 11:09 am  #6

BluffHunter wrote:

stew wrote:

You know athletes have HIPAA rights like the rest of us.

Yeah, maybe those of you so deeply concerned about this could get the ball rolling by sharing some of your own health issues.

9/15/2023 3:18 pm  #7

Im not interested in players history of health issues,all I want  to know is whose practicing and who isnt
and how the newcomers are performing.Fan is fanatic for short.Thats who I am .I wish all the players good health and a good life and thank them for choosing to represent Duquesne.I blame myself for allowing
the basketball program to fail,we hevent been relevant for over 40 years...Im a Duquesne fan to the core of my being and this board is here to exchange information and everyone has the right to a opinion.I failed the program but so did a lot of other folks in contributing to the woeful 50 years
of dereliction and inncompetence.I want something better and anticipate a special season from our Beloved Bluffites. I wish all of you love and happiness.Thats all I can do from my residence in Hilliard,Ohio.

9/15/2023 3:44 pm  #8

The HIPAA rights defense as the reason we don't know more about the players' availability has come up many times before & it is a very weak one. This is a choice by someone at the university.

It is a fact that more than 80% Division I athletes on scholarship sign a waiver of these rights so the schools can report almost whatever medical information they want to the press. This is why so much such info is available about other athletes at other schools.

Does DU not offer the athletes waivers? Does the school have a strict policy against such waivers? Is this the coaching staff trying to keep personnel info from opponents? Is it just another typical DU athletics failure to keep up with the competition when it comes to building/growing a fan base? I certainly don't know.

Does more detailed info come out about players in other DU sports? Knowing that should give a good idea of just why details in the basketball program are rarely available.

Please note that I am not arguing that I/we have the right to know the players' medical statuses. That is not, in any way, my position.

9/15/2023 3:58 pm  #9

phil95 wrote:

The HIPAA rights defense as the reason we don't know more about the players' availability has come up many times before & it is a very weak one. This is a choice by someone at the university.

It is a fact that more than 80% Division I athletes on scholarship sign a waiver of these rights so the schools can report almost whatever medical information they want to the press. This is why so much such info is available about other athletes at other schools.

Does DU not offer the athletes waivers? Does the school have a strict policy against such waivers? Is this the coaching staff trying to keep personnel info from opponents? Is it just another typical DU athletics failure to keep up with the competition when it comes to building/growing a fan base? I certainly don't know.

Does more detailed info come out about players in other DU sports? Knowing that should give a good idea of just why details in the basketball program are rarely available.

Please note that I am not arguing that I/we have the right to know the players' medical statuses. That is not, in any way, my position.

The waiver the athletes may sign is geared towards the NCAA using the injury information for research, not media purposes. It's also anonymous. HIPAA Buckley.pdf (ncaa.org)

9/15/2023 4:02 pm  #10

stew wrote:

Im not interested in players history of health issues,all I want  to know is whose practicing and who isnt
and how the newcomers are performing.Fan is fanatic for short.Thats who I am .I wish all the players good health and a good life and thank them for choosing to represent Duquesne.I blame myself for allowing
the basketball program to fail,we hevent been relevant for over 40 years...Im a Duquesne fan to the core of my being and this board is here to exchange information and everyone has the right to a opinion.I failed the program but so did a lot of other folks in contributing to the woeful 50 years
of dereliction and inncompetence.I want something better and anticipate a special season from our Beloved Bluffites. I wish all of you love and happiness.Thats all I can do from my residence in Hilliard,Ohio.

And Stew, your fanaticism is unmatched. Stop blaming yourself... there are a million reasons Duquesne has struggled before a passionate fan not doing enough.

9/15/2023 4:16 pm  #11

BluffHunter wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The waiver the athletes may sign is geared towards the NCAA using the injury information for research, not media purposes. It's also anonymous. HIPAA Buckley.pdf (ncaa.org)

The schools are also permitted to & do in great numbers allow the students to waive their HIPAA rights through the use of their own waivers. All you have to do is watch Sports Center & you will see many coaches & other university representatives give very detailed information about injuries & non-injury ailments affecting player availability.

Here is a good example of a university's official Twitter account giving such information:
https://twitter.com/PackMensBball/status/1600887488226234371?lang=en

9/16/2023 8:26 am  #12

As soon as a player gets hurt in any sport that is televised, the first thing the tv crew says is they will have the sideline reporter get an update. They don’t say we will check with the university to see where they stand on the HIPAA rights.  And by the way, who gives a flying f**k on my health  issues ! If they want to know I’ll tell them and have.  The ridiculousness of some of the people on this board never ceases to amaze me.

9/19/2023 1:04 pm  #13

The sideline reporter gets an update from someone related to the program who filters whatever the information is to meet any requirements, so no one *needs* to say that.

If y'all wonder why the board has been slowly withering away, threads like this and the invective within are a big part of it. If the athletic program operated 100% the way you think it should, everyone here would still find a reason to be upset.

Last edited by Face (9/19/2023 1:21 pm)

9/19/2023 1:32 pm  #14

Face wrote:

The sideline reporter gets an update from someone related to the program who filters whatever the information is to meet any requirements, so no one *needs* to say that.

If y'all wonder why the board has been slowly withering away, threads like this and the invective within are a big part of it. If the athletic program operated 100% the way you think it should, everyone here would still find a reason to be upset.

Please explain to me why getting a status report on injured players on this board for the upcoming season is a negative? This is a board about Duquesne sports.
Please inform how it offends you ?

9/19/2023 1:38 pm  #15

I'm not offended in the least; simply observing. And that's maybe how the thread started, certainly not what it became.

9/19/2023 5:18 pm  #16

As I see it, player injuries are a closely guarded secret. Only when the injury results in walking boots, crutches, is televised or KD addresses the issue do we know the details of an injury.
I think reason for this lack of information has to do with competitive advantages.  Most coaches don't want the competition to know that a starter has an injury that can be exploited. Or the player may use to avoid practice or feel pressured to return to practice before he is ready.

9/20/2023 11:19 am  #17

I don’t understand all of the angst on this issue in mid-September; over two weeks before the official start of practice.

Here’s what we do know right now.
- All players on the current roster are on campus and participating in various team drills and individual training.
- All players on the current roster are expected to play this year; no one has been ruled out. 
-Dusan is still rehabbing his knee; he is expected to be fully ready for the start of conference play.
- A couple of players are awaiting final clearance from medical personnel to fully participate in practices.

EDIT ON PRACTICE DATES:  I believe that official practices can begin 42 days before the first game. So we can expect the first practice to commence around September 26. We will learn more in the next few weeks (especially at the Tip Off event on October 5).

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (9/26/2023 10:50 am)

9/27/2023 10:51 am  #18

It does not seem to me that anyone on this thread is looking for a HIPAA violating description of any medical situation pertaining to a player. It would be nice, as a fan of the team, to know who is available to play and if they are not, when they will be.  Hronsky and Barre sat out several games down the stretch without the fans knowing if they could possibly be available at any point. Just radio silence. Now that it’s a new season, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that someone associated with the team says”we are excited to have Barre and Hronsky back at full strength for the up coming season” or “Hronsky and Barre still have a ways to go before they can contribute meaningfully”.  Not knowing what to expect or who will be filling what role seriously diminishes interest in a team. This is a D1 program in a major market city. One should expect lots of detailed analysis about what to expect in the coming season.  I’m surprised anybody on this board would defend the lack of updates by the athletic department.

9/27/2023 2:05 pm  #19

Looked like they practiced today, photos online, only a couple and they were of individual players.  Clark, a Drame, and Williams I think.  Maybe there will be more out there and can at least see all the guys on the court to calm some of yinzes nerves.  

10/05/2023 10:28 pm  #20

From the tip off event
https://x.com/michalowskicbb/status/1710097767819874414?s=46&t=191ZUNi8sIHtfeenlUF9rg

George Michalowski:
Duquesne MBB injury updates from Keith Dambrot tonight:

"We got [David] Dixon back today, we think we're getting Chabi [Barre] back quickly, and we think we're getting [Dusan] Mahorcic back in December."

10/07/2023 7:38 pm  #21

I spoke with Chabi on Thursday and he was very pleased to say that he was cleared to practice fully.

Last edited by levon1975 (10/07/2023 11:09 pm)

10/07/2023 7:56 pm  #22

That is excellent news! Made my day. Thanks for posting.

Board footera