Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2023 2:32 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Santa Clara University Broncos

Dukes better wake up ,havent played well and right now look like a 9-9 team in A10.Barre
and Rozier should be seeing less time.Barre and Rozier not reallyshowing much offense.

12/26/2023 7:35 pm  #27

stew wrote:

Dukes better wake up ,havent played well and right now look like a 9-9 team in A10.Barre
and Rozier should be seeing less time.Barre and Rozier not reallyshowing much offense.

They don't look good after a long layoff. Three losses that were close, but  going forward, they need to win these kind of games.

12/27/2023 9:43 am  #28

Rozier isnt sitting, so we can just stop with all that.   Barre probably can, if Williams is half way decent and Marhocic is as good as some here think he is, Barre is just too soft.   Dixon is the guy who can butter the bread.   Need him to be a force, every game, not 2/3 of them.   That Umass game right out of the blocks will let us know, and UMass is looking good lately.

12/27/2023 10:11 am  #29

Rozier is fine. He is a point guard who plays hard, intelligent & feeds the two best player, Grant& Williams the ball. Dusan this Saturday against the little sisters of the poor should play 30 minutes if possible medically. In fact run the offense thru Dusan. Love Dixon. Chabi SLOWLY improving At this point I have seen enough of Treys game. Umass big & physical. Typical Frank Martin team. So far this season our 4 & 5 do not finish on the low blocks. Without an inside game this Duquesne team will not compete for an A10 title. Get Dusan in game shape

12/27/2023 10:46 am  #30

Rozier has been much better than I thought he could be. The coaching staff deserves credit for recognizing that this could happen & for any role they have played in his development. Kareem also deserves praise for the hard work he has obviously put in. He plays hard,with heart, & smarter than most of the Dukes in the KD Era. Most importantly, he seems to have the confidence of his teammates.

Having written that, I see the PG position in general & and Kareem, specifically as the team's greatest weakness in the quest to secure an at-large bid or win the A-10 tournament. Despite bringing in a ton of experienced talent in the off-season, the coaching staff failed to bring in anyone to compliment and/or challenge Kareem at this position. I fear that this will be exposed as a fatal flaw in the team's make-up during the gauntlet that will be this year's A-10 slate.

Getting Kareem lots of experience in the non-con schedule had to be one of the coaching staff's main priorities and rightly so. However, I would have liked to see Nicholls get a couple 4 minute runs most games to see what he has to offer & give him some experience should Rozier get injured. Playing a freshman PG in tiny, unpredictable spurts seemed unproductive.

Intentional minutes with Clarke at PG, Dae Dae at the 2, & Necas at the 3 would also have been nice.

12/27/2023 7:44 pm  #31

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rozier is fine. He is a point guard who plays hard, intelligent & feeds the two best player, Grant& Williams the ball. Dusan this Saturday against the little sisters of the poor should play 30 minutes if possible medically. In fact run the offense thru Dusan. Love Dixon. Chabi SLOWLY improving At this point I have seen enough of Treys game. Umass big & physical. Typical Frank Martin team. So far this season our 4 & 5 do not finish on the low blocks. Without an inside game this Duquesne team will not compete for an A10 title. Get Dusan in game shape

Rozier is not “fine”.  And he is not “feeding the best 2 players.”  He is averaging over 32 minutes a game at PG and under 3 assists a game. He’s barely Ok. The best thing you can say is that he’s not making dumb plays.  He’s getting more minutes than Clark at this point.   He’s certainly not “bad” but I’m sure Jimmy can run the point and still play his game. Next time you are watching, just picture F Drame out there with Jimmy, Dae Dae, Savrasov, and Chabi/Dixon. Or Necas.  That is a better 5 for sure. This team is too deep with big long players to play Rozier, Dae Dae, and Jimmy at the same time so much. Kareem brings a lot to this team but he needs to back up Jimmy and Dae Dae.  Not be second on the team in minutes. It always sounds like I’m down on Rozier but I’m not. I really like him and his game. But he’s playing too much. That is all.

12/27/2023 7:50 pm  #32

phil95 wrote:

Rozier has been much better than I thought he could be. The coaching staff deserves credit for recognizing that this could happen & for any role they have played in his development. Kareem also deserves praise for the hard work he has obviously put in. He plays hard,with heart, & smarter than most of the Dukes in the KD Era. Most importantly, he seems to have the confidence of his teammates.

Having written that, I see the PG position in general & and Kareem, specifically as the team's greatest weakness in the quest to secure an at-large bid or win the A-10 tournament. Despite bringing in a ton of experienced talent in the off-season, the coaching staff failed to bring in anyone to compliment and/or challenge Kareem at this position. I fear that this will be exposed as a fatal flaw in the team's make-up during the gauntlet that will be this year's A-10 slate.

Getting Kareem lots of experience in the non-con schedule had to be one of the coaching staff's main priorities and rightly so. However, I would have liked to see Nicholls get a couple 4 minute runs most games to see what he has to offer & give him some experience should Rozier get injured. Playing a freshman PG in tiny, unpredictable spurts seemed unproductive.

Intentional minutes with Clarke at PG, Dae Dae at the 2, & Necas at the 3 would also have been nice.

Yes   You said it better than I did. F Drame/Necas out there with the other starters makes us better I believe.  And Kareem’s best quality can be optimized - coming in off the bench to add energy, grit, 3 point shooting, and overall positive attitude when the team needs a boost

12/27/2023 10:02 pm  #33

Styles1229 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Yes   You said it better than I did. F Drame/Necas out there with the other starters makes us better I believe.  And Kareem’s best quality can be optimized - coming in off the bench to add energy, grit, 3 point shooting, and overall positive attitude when the team needs a boost

I guess you told me. This kid is horrible. You’re right he sucks. Thank you for your insight.

12/28/2023 2:00 am  #34

It’s not a criticism of Kareem to say that the team needs to be able to play a bigger lineup to be successful in the A-10.  Playing three guards including Kareem makes them susceptible to getting beat on the boards as we have seen in the past with Dambrot’s teams.  Playing only two “bigs” means they don’t have confidence in anyone to  with more size to play the 3 spot.  That will limit their potential.
II think they would have had to win 2-of 3 of the losses so far to even have an outside shot at an at-large bid.  I just don’t see them in the conversation as a kid-level A-10 team.

12/28/2023 9:14 am  #35

Wow, don't you just love the can do attitude on this Board by the self-anointed experts and amateur psychologists?  My advice to the players is to ignore this Board, 

12/28/2023 9:41 am  #36

Best post of the year, if not the best post ever!!!!!!!  It's easy to sit back and criticize in anything, it's way harder to make things happen.

12/28/2023 10:34 am  #37

Perhaps some posts are too personal and/or too critical of the coach or certain players. That said, some posters--I would say trying to be optimistic--hope we could get an at-large bid if we don't get an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. However according to a recent article in The Athletic, the lowest NET ranking for an at-large team was Rutgers with #77 in 2022. Last year Clemson did not get an at-large bid with a NET ranking of #60. Today we are at #79. Draw your own conclusion.

Board footera