Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2024 2:06 pm  #1

2 Questions

-Any updates on Tre Williams's health?
-Does a win tomorrow lock up an NIT bid? (Because Richmond lost it seems last night's win didn't make it a lock.)

3/15/2024 2:42 pm  #2

3/15/2024 2:48 pm  #3

Re: 2 Questions

At the Presser today, some reporter said that the chief bracketoligist for the NIT said DU was in regardless of what happens tomorrow. Dambrot said, and I love this, I hope we don't go to the NIT but make the NCAA. Before someone jumps on this, he said it respectfully.

3/15/2024 3:16 pm  #4

I think we are getting a lot of positive vibes right now in the bball universe.   But every team left in the A10 is in the running for the NIT I think, winning tomorrow sure would help the cause.   I doubt 6-7 teams from the A10 get in the NIT.  4-5 seem realistic tho.   

And I sure hope Williams can go tomorrow.   Even just as a defender he is really doing a solid job.

3/15/2024 3:16 pm  #5

Thanks for the speedy updates.

Liked KD's quote & pleased by the NIT news.

Sorry to hear about Tre. Maybe he goes.

3/15/2024 4:46 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

At the Presser today, some reporter said that the chief bracketoligist for the NIT said DU was in regardless of what happens tomorrow. Dambrot said, and I love this, I hope we don't go to the NIT but make the NCAA. Before someone jumps on this, he said it respectfully.

Dambrot has kept these kids focused these last two games. These past two games were the best coached games of the season. It's all within reach and he knows it.  Tre is likely out but KD has stuck with a vey deep bench all season and it's paying off now. it's next man up. Go Dukes. 

3/15/2024 7:57 pm  #7

phil95 wrote:

Looked like Tre took a knee in the lower thigh. I would guess there is bad bruising and pain. Hope he will be ok to put in some minutes.

3/15/2024 11:01 pm  #8

applecorps wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Looked like Tre took a knee in the lower thigh. I would guess there is bad bruising and pain. Hope he will be ok to put in some minutes.

I believe that Tre has either a separated shoulder or hyper extended elbow/shoulder. Tough to play through. He’s so underratedly tough.

3/15/2024 11:18 pm  #9

Saw him in hotel lobby tonight with arm in a splint

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I believe that Tre has either a separated shoulder or hyper extended elbow/shoulder. Tough to play through. He’s so underratedly tough.

3/16/2024 1:23 am  #10

phil95 wrote:

Saw him in hotel lobby tonight with arm in a splint

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Thanks for the info, phil95; although it wasn’t the report that I was hoping for.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/16/2024 1:23 am)

3/16/2024 6:36 am  #11

If I’m not mistaken since the NCAA took over the NIT they have a policy of inviting conference winners who do not make the NCAA. That would make Richmond a pseudo automatic qualifier. 
That also takes up a portion of the 32 team bracket. 

Last edited by The Dome (3/16/2024 6:41 am)

3/16/2024 7:33 am  #12

The Dome wrote:

If I’m not mistaken since the NCAA took over the NIT they have a policy of inviting conference winners who do not make the NCAA. That would make Richmond a pseudo automatic qualifier. 

The rule was changed this year.  Conference champs that loss in their tournaments no longer get automatic bids to the NIT.  They are giving automatic bids to the two highest NET ranked teams from the power 6 conferences instead.

3/16/2024 7:41 am  #13

The Dome wrote:

That was the policy, but then Fox decided to start their own secondary tournament for major conference teams. That of course meant the NCAA chased the money too. So starting this year they scrapped the automatic bids for regular season conference champs that didn't make the Big Dance. Instead they are guaranteeing 2 bids each for the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 12, and SEC. Those are the only remaining automatic bids to the NIT.

So Richmond is not automatically in, but with a NET ranking of 74 I think they should still be in the NIT. Where it hurts is the non-major conference teams on the NIT bubble. VCU should also be in, and as of now going strictly by the NET rankings St. Bonaventure is the last team in the NIT. Loyola, St. Joe's, and the Dukes are 3 of the highest 7 teams in the NET not in the NCAA or NIT as of now (again I'm gong strictly by the NET rankings to have something objective). If we need one more win to get into the NIT though, let's just make it two and go dancing instead.

3/16/2024 8:33 am  #14

Thanks for the update!!! And once again padding the accounts of the major conferences. 😢

3/16/2024 9:00 am  #15

I fundamentally agree with luckymcd. When the NET rankings first came out it seemed like the NIT committee just took the at-large teams with the next-highest NET rankings. If they are still picking teams that way our position is still precarious even though 3 websites pick us for the NIT. I would feel a lot better if we won today.

I would feel even better if we proved Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm wrong. They are picking VCU to win the league tournament.

3/16/2024 9:47 am  #16

Board footera