Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2015 9:23 am  #26

Re: Gameday Thread - Duquesne vs Eastern 8

Rather then rehash Amodios mess the Trib had an interesting article TODAY on  Gordon Gee president WVU. He gets the importance of college sports .Hired Urban Myers @ OSU.Interesting article by Bob Cohn.Isn't it amazing that neither the Trib or PG has decided to address the current status of the basketball program? Answer Nobody Cares.

2/08/2015 9:31 am  #27

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Rather then rehash Amodios mess the Trib had an interesting article TODAY on  Gordon Gee president WVU. He gets the importance of college sports .Hired Urban Myers @ OSU.Interesting article by Bob Cohn.Isn't it amazing that neither the Trib or PG has decided to address the current status of the basketball program? Answer Nobody Cares.

Exactly. 

TECH NOTE:  For some reason, I can't post a "new topic" today (stupid computer) so what follows would be a "New Topic" titled "Acceptance" that I posted on the other board.

They say the final stage of dying is acceptance, after the denial, anger, bargaining and depression stages!

Based on the volume of traffic on this board, and to some extent, the other, we've reached it.

No one wants to comment on games; the Ferry/GA haters don't show up to gloat; the few optimists left don't even pipe up.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference and I think many of us have reached it. It is truly sad that with a month left in the season, we have absolutely no room for hope, nothing to talk about and our emotions have just been sucked out of us as a group.

I think it's more and more likely (only about 20% but still) that after this fiasco, DU Admin. finally throws in the towel and admits it can't compete as an NCAA mens hoops team of any merit, whatsoever. We either drop mens and womens hoops completely or try and drop to a lesser conference, and as pointed out here, the economics of that may be even more painful than just dropping a conference.

I think I have accepted "death" regardless of what happens. I just don't care anymore

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/08/2015 10:09 am  #28

A couple of questions for you gents is there a bad shot in the Ferry "offensive" system?  I ask since there seems to be no consequences for taking any shot. Secondly and this is a rhetorical laugher what are the consequences of not playing defense and hustling. I only ask since as "81" and others ask where is Robinson I would prefer to play with walkon's willing to hustle than allow what is currently going on to continue. BTW the defenders of Ferry's offensive system on the other board point to our points per game average etc. but when your 20-30 behind shots and points do come easy and further more as teams figure out what little we can do it's more easily defended. Colter and Mason have been effectively neutralized and where do we head to next.

2/08/2015 11:01 am  #29

Tejas, I also think the President doesn't care, those in  upper DU administration don't care, and the media doesn't care.  I keep reading things about various Robert Morris programs, whether hockey or BBall.  We know how strong Penn State is and thought Pitt BBall is weak this year, that is unusual and their once pathetic football program is beginning to "try harder."  What gets me is that it "appears" the President and others Don't understand that positive athletics increases enrollment.   Talk about apathy...Where in the world is the Duquesne President???????????????????

Last edited by FAM (2/08/2015 11:02 am)

2/08/2015 11:12 am  #30

FAM wrote:

Tejas, I also think the President doesn't care, those in  upper DU administration don't care, and the media doesn't care.  I keep reading things about various Robert Morris programs, whether hockey or BBall.  We know how strong Penn State is and thought Pitt BBall is weak this year, that is unusual and their once pathetic football program is beginning to "try harder."  What gets me is that it "appears" the President and others Don't understand that positive athletics increases enrollment.   Talk about apathy...Where in the world is the Duquesne President???????????????????

He is literally hiding from taking his, and his alone, responsibility for being so short-sighted as to listen to GA, and fire Ron.

God, when someone posted that video of Ferry's introductory press conference a couple of weeks ago, it literally made me nauseous!

My emails and calls get ignored now.  A member of the AD, who let's just say would be near the top of the contacts web page, called me in December and promised he "would always be there to talk to me" has not returned one phone call or email since then. Typical!

Also the guy I talked to about the scholarship, also promised to "always be there" as well. He has dodged my emails.  Dr. D's assistant even told me when I called two weeks ago, that his assistant promised that he (scholarship guy) would get back to me.

Nope nothing!

They don't care.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/08/2015 11:17 am  #31

There are a few assistant's to the AD who are about as easy to talk to and as warm as concrete.  The entire AD department needs overhauled.  But the President won't man up and say anything to any of the media or fans.  He is a huge disappointment when it comes to the arm of athletics at Duquesne.  My lowly advice is to email the folks from the PG and Trib. who cover DU basketball.  I have had a response from one and nothing from another but if 40 people email them that will be a story in itself.  I am not one to constantly go back in time and discuss the Good Old Days because I think that is what some currently at DU continue to live in.  But I believe that Father Mac, when he was Presdient of Duquesne would have never let things continue as they are.  Maybe the current President needs to take a page out of his legacy.  Maybe as the attendance gets even worse and they have even a harder time selling season tickets next year takes place he and others will WAKE UP!

Last edited by FAM (2/08/2015 11:22 am)

2/08/2015 11:21 am  #32

duq81 wrote:

Is Ferry trying to get fired?

Hmmmm. that is an interesting thought. Perhaps he knows the writing is on the wall, and he's only getting at minimum one more year before he gets fired, after GA's probably departure at the end of this year!

He gets paid regardless! He can tell future interviewers that he was only given three years.....lack of support.....same old incompetent Duquesne......Graveyard of coaches......

Tank this season, walk away with almost 2 million dollars and probably get another lower level coaching gig!

Hmmmmmm.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/08/2015 11:24 am  #33

FAM wrote:

There are a few assistant's to the AD who are about as easy to talk to and as warm as concrete.  The entire AD department needs overhauled.  But the President won't man up and say anything to any of the media or fans.  He is a huge disappointment when it comes to the arm of athletics at Duquesne.  My lowly advice is to email the folks from the PG and Trib. who cover DU basketball.  I have had a response from one and nothing from another but if 40 people email them that will be a story in its!

I emailed both writers, introduced myself and never received a reply.

Nobody in the media cares.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/08/2015 11:34 am  #34

Nobody cares that's the problem. The newscasters on WTAE were criticizing WVU, they showed our game but didn't say a word.

2/08/2015 5:58 pm  #35

The Dome wrote:

A couple of questions for you gents is there a bad shot in the Ferry "offensive" system? I ask since there seems to be no consequences for taking any shot. Secondly and this is a rhetorical laugher what are the consequences of not playing defense and hustling. I only ask since as "81" and others ask where is Robinson I would prefer to play with walkon's willing to hustle than allow what is currently going on to continue. BTW the defenders of Ferry's offensive system on the other board point to our points per game average etc. but when your 20-30 behind shots and points do come easy and further more as teams figure out what little we can do it's more easily defended. Colter and Mason have been effectively neutralized and where do we head to next.

Dome, there is no visible signs of coaching on this team.  There are less and less fans that even listen to the "Ferry Tale" of "we are getting better".  The players keep making the same mistakes both on offense and defense.  Moreover, the Ferry exclusive 2-3 zone puts this team in an impossible position against a team like Davidson.  Our guards are too small, too slow, & too weak to defend against any team that have decent 3 point shooting guards, especially the wide open looks they get.  We are very close to earning the distinction of being the worst defensive team in D1 basketball.  Yet it is the same crap over and over again from this fraud of a "next level" coach.   We seem to be stuck with this guy, but th guy that hired him has to go.

Board footera