Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2012 9:37 am  #1

Fall Signing Period Starts Wednesday

The fall signing period starts Wednesday and runs for a week.  The Dukes have one commitment in Isaiah Watkins a 6'8" three star recruit.  The are also waiting on Jon Severe a three star combo guard to make a decision.  His final four are DU, GW, URI and the Bonnies.  At this point it is unclear if Severe does not sign with the Dukes if there are any other prospects who may sign with the Dukes during this period.  Coach Ferry may hold the last scholarship until the spring signing.

11/12/2012 10:10 am  #2

Re: Fall Signing Period Starts Wednesday

I'm still a bit in shock we got Watkins, so I will breathe a little easier once he signs on the dotted line.

I though missing out on Castro was a big loss. It will be interesting to see how he does at Butler. Hopefully just being in the conversation with this guy means other players will consider the Dukes.

There is a lot of upside to going to school at Duquesne and I am sure Ferry is working on making that case to players across the country.

Having Bill Raferty call your game on national tv sure helps too!

11/12/2012 10:22 am  #3

The good news is that Severe didn't commit on his visit to St Bona this weekend or we'd have heard about it by now.

11/12/2012 11:07 am  #4

steve19981 wrote:

The good news is that Severe didn't commit on his visit to St Bona this weekend or we'd have heard about it by now.

Good point.  It is hard to say how much interest he has in Duquesne.  We came late to the party.  As you pointed out on the Yuku board it was a great that DU was a least able to get him on campus for a visit.  Hopefully our coaching staff did a good job of selling DU.

11/12/2012 11:27 am  #5

I think our chances at severe are pretty small. Impressive we got that visit for sure though. Something Jim is saying is making guys at least consider Duquesne.

I could see him being a nice replacement for Sean Johnson, they went to the same high school right?

11/12/2012 12:59 pm  #6

DukesDan wrote:

I think our chances at severe are pretty small. Impressive we got that visit for sure though. Something Jim is saying is making guys at least consider Duquesne.

I could see him being a nice replacement for Sean Johnson, they went to the same high school right?

Like the rest of you; I don't have any knowledge of what goes on in particular young man's mind when choosing a school; but off of last nights game, it would be clear to me as a prospective player that Jim Ferry can coach, and make me a better player.  This is a great opportunity for a guy who can score to move in, and get significant playing time.  It was clear that with another guy who could have buried some shots we would have been talking about a victory today.
The team never cracked or lost poise, when things didn't go their way, a trait of our recent teams under RE.  They got wide open looks by running the offense, just didn't bury enough of them.  They continued to play tough defense throughout; took the break opportunities that presented themselves, with some beautiful passing by DC to set up Jerry for two layups.  They were one muffed pass on an easy dunk opportunity, on a pick-and-roll, from making this a two-point game with about two minutes to play.  Then one mistake on a failure to secure a defensive rebound on a foul shot and that was it.  Despite that error,this team will be much more sound than our recent teams as the process continues.  We are beginning to see real basketball for the first time in many years.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/12/2012 3:15 pm)

11/12/2012 1:17 pm  #7

The TV coverage of the Dukes and conference in general is rising drastically. This will really help with recruiting. I'm sure all the players who were considering Duquesne watched last night.

11/14/2012 8:20 pm  #8

Zach Braziller†@NYPost_Brazille

No plans as of yet for Christ the King's Jon Severe to commit or sign this week, he said. Duquesne, GW, St. Bon. and Rhode Island involved.

11/18/2012 8:16 pm  #9

For what it is worth...

URI Rams/HEAT Fan†@NewEraURI_Hoops
Hearing URI Target '13 NY guard Jon Severe will most likely wait til spring to commit and sign.

11/18/2012 10:01 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

For what it is worth...

URI Rams/HEAT Fanďż˝ @NewEraURI_Hoops
Hearing URI Target '13 NY guard Jon Severe will most likely wait til spring to commit and sign.

Can't say I'm very surprised by this. The optimist in me would like to think that this gives Duquesne more time to get into the picture but I think it probably suggests that he hasn't liked what he's seen and we're dead in the water. The good news is that I doubt he ends up in the A-10 now.

Board footera