Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2013 1:52 pm  #51

Re: St Louis

Scotchngars wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

The problem with some on this board is that you feel RE should have taken a program from decades of loosing to the promise land in such a short period of time. He did the impossible in just 3 years and then again I hate the term used Platuaed. I don't see anyone calling for Calipari to be fired, or Huggins,or stoops, or Howland, or Shaka Smart, or Petino, or Williams, any coach that has been to the top of their career achievments and not stay there every year. It's college sports. Players go pro, transfer, leave, get in trouble what ever. Some on this board loved the success of RE but since he could not get to the NCAA tourny in just six years after decades of loosing and being the laughing stock of the A10, you got greedy, PERIOD. The reason he has been know as a rebuilder is every team he turned around he got a better offer and moved on.

So he lands at Duq. and again is successful, but he did not want to move on he wanted to stay. This will blow you people away, and not many know. When Calapari left Memphis and went to Kentucky, guess who called RE, Memphis, I have held this for a while but since this continuing bashing of RE about Platuaing I cant keep it any more. This man was committed to stay at Duq. He turned them down, I was talking with him the night he got the call, and he called me the next day and apologized for not calling me back that night, due to the lengthly talk with Memphis. It was a seven figure offer and all the trimmings, but he was not about the money, he was about what he was doing at Duq and his family. So if this AD would have supported and not fired him, I would bet that this program would be on the way up again and not where it is now. 

All of a suddent the term is used that Ferry himself says we have to rebuild. Last March it was take us to the next level? which is it and why. Again I don't speculate, predict, hope, assume just facts. So I am not saying RE would not be in the same place right now but since Ferry, would your opinions be the same if RE was still here and understand that this is a down season and it happens to all successfull coaches? 

C'mon, you're comparing RE to a bunch of guys who have been to the Final Four. By the way, Howland's seat has been about as hot as a seat can get. There are tons of UCLA fans who want him fired, and he was lucky to keep his job after last year.

The point is you say he plataued and could not get us further. Yes I'm comparing because the coaches I choose to list is just a small amount of those who have achieved a level of success but can't do it every year, or every two or three, that's the point of the comparison. They all have down seasons and still remain!

Those coaches reached the top level, we reached the CBI, is that our ultimate goal? I know that some are satisfied with that level, I'm not. I grew up when Duquesne was a powerhouse, and that is what I would love to see us become again. I know there are ups and downs, but the NIT was in 2009, and we've been trending downward ever since. I just didn't see anything that indicated we were going to reach our ultimate goal. Again, I wasn't one of the group of posters who were ripping RE to shreds last season, and as I have stated many times, I would have had no problem with him getting this year to get the ball rolling again, and agree that GA handled the situation horribly. Where we disagree, is that while I don't like how things were handled, I don't neccessaily disagree with the thought that Ron was not going to get us much farther than he did. If the AD feels that way too, then he is faced with a decision, either accept that 16-18 win seasons, with the occasional NIT run is an acceptable outcome, or take the gamble that someone else can do a better job. The gamble being that there is no guarantee that the new coach will do better, or even as well. I know some get annoyed by my constant comparisons of Dukes basketball to Pitt football, but the parallels are so obvious. Pitt made basically the same decision with Wanny. Wanny, like RE, obtained decent results, is a very nice guy, and was loyal to the program, and many are extremely pissed at the AD for how he was treated, and want the AD fired. Sound familiar? So far, the move has neither paid off, or blew up in thier face, as Pitt remains in minor bowl hell. Only time will tell what happens with the Dukes. It's far too early to either be sold on Ferry, or to be trashing him. When he gets his guys in here, we'll have our answer.

Last edited by duq81 (1/29/2013 1:55 pm)

1/29/2013 2:08 pm  #52

Re: St Louis

duq81 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

duq81 wrote:

C'mon, you're comparing RE to a bunch of guys who have been to the Final Four. By the way, Howland's seat has been about as hot as a seat can get. There are tons of UCLA fans who want him fired, and he was lucky to keep his job after last year.

The point is you say he plataued and could not get us further. Yes I'm comparing because the coaches I choose to list is just a small amount of those who have achieved a level of success but can't do it every year, or every two or three, that's the point of the comparison. They all have down seasons and still remain!

Those coaches reached the top level, we reached the CBI, is that our ultimate goal? I know that some are satisfied with that level, I'm not. I grew up when Duquesne was a powerhouse, and that is what I would love to see us become again. I know there are ups and downs, but the NIT was in 2009, and we've been trending downward ever since. I just didn't see anything that indicated we were going to reach our ultimate goal. Again, I wasn't one of the group of posters who were ripping RE to shreds last season, and as I have stated many times, I would have had no problem with him getting this year to get the ball rolling again, and agree that GA handled the situation horribly. Where we disagree, is that while I don't like how things were handled, I don't neccessaily disagree with the thought that Ron was not going to get us much farther than he did. If the AD feels that way too, then he is faced with a decision, either accept that 16-18 win seasons, with the occasional NIT run is an acceptable outcome, or take the gamble that someone else can do a better job. The gamble being that there is no guarantee that the new coach will do better, or even as well. I know some get annoyed by my constant comparisons of Dukes basketball to Pitt football, but the parallels are so obvious. Pitt made basically the same decision with Wanny. Wanny, like RE, obtained decent results, is a very nice guy, and was loyal to the program, and many are extremely pissed at the AD for how he was treated, and want the AD fired. Sound familiar? So far, the move has neither paid off, or blew up in thier face, as Pitt remains in minor bowl hell. Only time will tell what happens with the Dukes. It's far too early to either be sold on Ferry, or to be trashing him. When he gets his guys in here, we'll have our answer.

No the CBI is not enough, I did not write that it was. My point was quick success followed by slight down seasons and no tolerance by some of the fans and the AD, but still Post season play, which is more than the last decades, even if it is the toilet bowl. Pitt wasn't to proud not to play in it last year, so why didn't we. The rest of your last post I agree with, Ferry will be given his fair chance and should have it, but if it were RE, and he was in the same boat he would be getting axed because some can't be patient with a winner, just sayin.

Board footera