Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2017 1:20 pm  #551

Re: New coach thread

duq81, Don't get me wrong, would love to get the sexy coach. However, it seems like the hot young coaches are taking a pass on DU.  I certainly would like to see Moton, Davis or Dooley be our next coach, but I think the well has been poisoned and the more rejection in the media the harder it gets.. Like I said previously Driscoll is not the sexy choice but is solid, and unlike Ferry did who not have the prior D1 coaching experience at major schools he does. As far as his record it is a testament to his coaching that he could a wreck of a program line North Florida to the NCAA and NIT.  I still have faith in Harper, but even  armed with a million bucks it a hard task. 

Last edited by CLK (3/23/2017 1:20 pm)

3/23/2017 1:20 pm  #552

Sorry but how does anyone know what Harper is doing?  Just because it is reported on social media does not make it so.  For all anyone knows half or more of the names associated with the latest hiring were never considered or, if they were, were never offered.  People are playing with everyone on social media and maybe it's time to just not believe anything until Harper comes out with a statement. 

A reporter sees something on social media and contacts the coach, King, Fife, whoever and they say they aren't interested.  Maybe they aren't and maybe they were never offered. 

This is going to be a difficult process made more difficult by this crap on the internet.

3/23/2017 1:21 pm  #553

I would never belittle anyone or attempt to stomp on someone's dream, but the scrawls of a senior journalism major at a school 450 miles away aren't gospel. Why doesn't everyone walk to your nearest watering hole have a drink and then watch tonight's games.

3/23/2017 1:25 pm  #554

The Dome wrote:

I would never belittle anyone or attempt to stomp on someone's dream, but the scrawls of a senior journalism major at a school 450 miles away aren't gospel. Why doesn't everyone walk to your nearest watering hole have a drink and then watch tonight's games.

Great advice from a wise man!  

3/23/2017 1:25 pm  #555

JT3 fired at Georgetown; bring him in for an interview?

3/23/2017 1:27 pm  #556

Folks, perhaps what the media is tweeting out is misleading. None of us (unless one of you is holding back) knows what's going on, who we're talking to, who's being offered. Yet we have knee-jerk reaction after knee-jerk reaction about getting turned down.

If the names we're seeing are accurate, then Mr. Harper started out by aiming high. Or am I mistaken?

Very possible that some of these guys are translating Duquesne reaching out to gauge interest as a bona fide offer. Happens all the time.

Plus openings are springing up everywhere, as I posted elsewhere. Some of these guys may think they're in line for something more attractive. I the end, these guys may end up still as an assistant, or coaching the same team (and maybe not getting the same results or job interviews next year).

3/23/2017 1:29 pm  #557

I guess at some point Brandon Knight becomes attractive.  

3/23/2017 1:31 pm  #558

The Dome wrote:

Yes!  Well done!

3/23/2017 1:33 pm  #559

The Dome wrote:

I am so down with this. Anyone have any preferences of who you'd like to see win? Personally would love to see Purdue and Xavier pull off upsets

3/23/2017 1:38 pm  #560

townsonkid wrote:

He just might. It would certainly create some local buzz, and at least he cut his teeth under a very good coach in Jamie Dixon.

3/23/2017 1:44 pm  #561

As I have been saying; no time to panic based on Social media nonsense; stay focused on the prize(a quality coach) and have the patience to wait for something factual to be released. 
I'm sure we'll be reading rumors about Georgetown now , so perhaps our search can be a little less visible on Social media.
We don't need a guy who is afraid of a challenge; no different than buying stocks, high risk but also high reward.  A guy who brings in a few good players and wins here will look like a friggin genius and have lots of $$$ thrown his way.  It doesn't take that much to win in the A-10 right now.  Give the new coach great support bring in some guys who can play and we're in our way; not rocket science!

3/23/2017 1:45 pm  #562

townsonkid wrote:

No no no Pitt guys

3/23/2017 1:48 pm  #563

levon1975 wrote:

As I have been saying; no time to panic based on Social media nonsense; stay focused on the prize(a quality coach) and have the patience to wait for something factual to be released.
I'm sure we'll be reading rumors about Georgetown now , so perhaps our search can be a little less visible on Social media.
We don't need a guy who is afraid of a challenge; no different than buying stocks, high risk but also high reward. A guy who brings in a few good players and wins here will look like a friggin genius and have lots of $$$ thrown his way. It doesn't take that much to win in the A-10 right now. Give the new coach great support bring in some guys who can play and we're in our way; not rocket science!

Agreed.  I just don't know how much longer I can deal with this.  I was so happy when Fife was considered a done deal because I knew I could just relax and get behind the new coach.  Now I have to wait for more news to leak.  Today is basically over as far as news.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/23/2017 2:30 pm  #564

I know, I know!!! and we can groom him, then pitt will overpay him in a few years, he wont need to change his address.  Kind of like with Suzie.  But maybe, like Suzie, he could get the team on the right path, sign a good PG, teach how to win.  It could be worse.  

3/23/2017 2:41 pm  #565

Colin Dunlap said to watch out for Karl Hobbs

3/23/2017 2:41 pm  #566

HerbertHoover wrote:

so duquesne..... laudable.... no one wants the job.... Hire someone that wants it. His name is Mike Rice 

Mike Rice is the best choice, because he needs it as much as we need an experienced coach at this level, he has ties to DU and he has been working with top HS prospects the past couple of years. Couple that with he's 47 years old and very likely learned from his past, DU comes out looking good with a Coach that is familiar with winning at this level, plus, if he is successful, most likely would stay in the long run.  

3/23/2017 2:47 pm  #567

I like the guy from Ball State--Whitford.  He has good credentials and seems solid.  I would like to see him offered the job--if he would take it.

3/23/2017 3:04 pm  #568

3/23/2017 3:04 pm  #569

Did anyone see the mess going on at Umass right now?  They just cancelled the Kelsey Press conference 15 mins before it was supposed to happen.  I wonder if Gtown reached out to him?  Would be nice for someone else to share in our misery.  I know that's childish, but I'm at that point.

3/23/2017 3:11 pm  #570

Wow.  

Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey has had a change of heart and will not take the UMass job, sources told ESPN.

3/23/2017 3:21 pm  #571

Dukes2012 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

CLK wrote:

This is getting embarrassing.

I guess we are now seeing the negative side of trying to be ambitious and punch above our weight a little bit in terms of going after candidates. This really sucks.

This is the ghost of administrations past. The gift that keeps on giving. I kind of feel bad for Harper and gormley. They've shown they are serious about winning but the reputation the program has earned over the past several decades is a huge burden.

Bingo!  Nesti destroyed the program, and Murray & Dougherty didn't care that much--it wasn't a priority.  I am somewhat skeptical about the various media reports, though.  Coaches are notorious for leaking nonexistent talks in order to advance their own agenda.  Also, a search firm contacts multiple individuals to gauge interest--doesn't mean that substantive talks are taking place.

3/23/2017 3:26 pm  #572

Simms wrote:

Wow.  

Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey has had a change of heart and will not take the UMass job, sources told ESPN.

I just saw that too.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/23/2017 3:26 pm  #573

New twist;  Pat Kelsey backs out of UMASS job!!  They have to be frantic; at least we are still actively looking.  They thought they were done!

3/23/2017 3:28 pm  #574

Wildwood13 wrote:

The search firm we hired has ties to Izzo, his assistant coach Fife turns us down. So I ask, why spend money on a search firm that doesn't match the coach's interest with the school. This is making us look worse than the performance we put on the court. The damage is done as well as I am with Duquesne basketball. We should have said only interested coaches apply and then we could come back at the press with they approached us because we had a vacancy. Instead we have more damage than what we could handle by chasing these coaches and them turning us down. Good luck and wishes to all. I will be watching who they hire, but I really don't believe we are going to get a quality game changing coach.

I just listened to a long interview of Mike Dunleavy Sr., the former NBA and current Tulsa HC.  He discussed his transition from NBA to college and stated that it took him a year or two to realize that search firms are the means by which college coaches are hired.  He was interested in some jobs but couldn't get any interest, despite his credentials, until he interviewed with these firms.  It is how it is done, apparently.

3/23/2017 3:29 pm  #575

Simms wrote:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636564064104880755-4

Sigh...  Been a rough search to say the least.

Ok, unlike some A Hole shooting his mouth off on Twitter, this reliable source at least said "Becker looked into the vacant Duquesne job." Other reports, like the K Rice one had it like Becker said "Duquesne Who?"  So at least we know that we are really looking and offering.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera