Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2017 2:11 pm  #26

Re: KD lands another big fella from Ohio...

Thanks Econ for bringing sanity into the situation.  I have brought up the scholarship situation several times out of wonder but certainly not concern.  Fun to discuss, sure, but as you stated, our leadership has this totally under control.  We have eight other offers or so for 2018.  It will all wash out without us fretting

9/20/2017 3:17 pm  #27

Isn't KD the chair of the NCAA Rules Committee.? I know that he was. Who would better know how to handle recruiting and scholarships? Nothing to worry about here. Just enjoy!

9/20/2017 3:53 pm  #28

Just my uninformed, random thoughts:
1. The NCAA allows 13 scholarship players. We will have 13 players with basketball scholarships.
2. Any number above 13 will include walk-ons.
3. Regardless of whether the players are on basketball scholarships or are walk-ons, I believe they all have to go through the Clearinghouse.
4. There are still hundreds of kids who has basketball scholarships last winter who are looking for new schools, so as long as these kids qualify, why not give them walk-on status so they can finish school.
5. Ditto for incoming freshmen.

9/21/2017 11:05 pm  #29

OHHOOPS.org has Rotroff ranked 9th  and Swingle 15th in Ohio.

9/22/2017 8:28 am  #30

WashPaRick wrote:

OHHOOPS.org has Rotroff ranked 9th  and Swingle 15th in Ohio.

These sites are all over the map. 24-7 has Rotroff at 396 nationally, and 16 in Ohio. Swingle is 262 and 8. MaxPreps has Rotroff at 1,410 nationally (yikes!), and 56 in Ohio. Swingle isn't even listed. Verbal Commits has Rotroff as a 3 star, and Swingle as only a 2.3, yet Swingle was getting attention from a much higher level of school. You have to take these sites with a big grain of salt. I guess overall you can consider them to be fairly similar as prospects. Swingle is listed as a PF, despite being taller, and heavier than Rotroff, who's listed as a center. Maybe they'll play together. Return of the Nelsons?

9/22/2017 3:43 pm  #31

The best thing to look at is the offer sheet, IMO. Rankings, coaches comments, stars, and highlight film are fun ways to pass the time in the long off-season, but if a lot of schools want a kid, and better still a lot of successful schools, that is better than any of the above.

All three of these bigs have offers from a number of programs more successful than ours. That's a sign of progress. Two of the three had A10 offers which is also good, but I do think all three likely have work do. If they didn't the offer sheets would be a lot better, because bigs ready to play from day one are a lot less common than projects.

9/22/2017 4:00 pm  #32

steve19981 wrote:

The best thing to look at is the offer sheet, IMO. Rankings, coaches comments, stars, and highlight film are fun ways to pass the time in the long off-season, but if a lot of schools want a kid, and better still a lot of successful schools, that is better than any of the above.

All three of these bigs have offers from a number of programs more successful than ours. That's a sign of progress. Two of the three had A10 offers which is also good, but I do think all three likely have work do. If they didn't the offer sheets would be a lot better, because bigs ready to play from day one are a lot less common than projects.

Spot on, Steve. Offer sheets are most accurate barometer of level of recruit you are getting. That said, there are plenty of guys in the NBA who very few or no offers.  Also agree about the big guys having work to do. A more complete big man will have four or five stars next to his name and likely heading to the upper echelon of P5 schools. Doesn't mean one, two, or all three of these kids won't turn out to be great.

9/22/2017 11:59 pm  #33

Nobody knows for sure how these players will develop.I like who the Dukes have recruited,it all sounds good on paper,its up to these 3 guys,how hard are you willing to work on your game,spending the time conditioning,weight room ,playing against players as tall or taller as strong or stronger than you.How do you deal with failiure  and losing and how well do you bounce back from injuries,academic challenges,
dealing with all the people who want your time,coaches,fellow players,making friends and fitting in.
 Whether you are a 2 star or a 5 star rated high school player, how bad do you want it?? It aint easy.

9/23/2017 6:05 am  #34

stew wrote:

Nobody knows for sure how these players will develop.I like who the Dukes have recruited,it all sounds good on paper,its up to these 3 guys,how hard are you willing to work on your game,spending the time conditioning,weight room ,playing against players as tall or taller as strong or stronger than you.How do you deal with failiure  and losing and how well do you bounce back from injuries,academic challenges,
dealing with all the people who want your time,coaches,fellow players,making friends and fitting in.
 Whether you are a 2 star or a 5 star rated high school player, how bad do you want it?? It aint easy.

We're all, emotionally in a pretty good place right now, feeling very optimistic. Of course we don't really know how things will play out. Five years from now, we could be as bitter, and depressed as were six months ago, or we could be ecstatic, we really don't know. We just have to let it play out. We could use a little good luck as well. No shootings, no legal issues, no horrific injuries to star players. We're overdue for good luck.

9/23/2017 7:19 am  #35

duq81 wrote:

stew wrote:

We're all, emotionally in a pretty good place right now, feeling very optimistic. Of course we don't really know how things will play out. Five years from now, we could be as bitter, and depressed as were six months ago, or we could be ecstatic, we really don't know. We just have to let it play out. We could use a little good luck as well. No shootings, no legal issues, no horrific injuries to star players. We're overdue for good luck.

Luck is the residue of design. We have someone with a plan. I'll take my chances.

9/23/2017 7:22 pm  #36

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

stew wrote:

Luck is the residue of design. We have someone with a plan. I'll take my chances.

Ron had a plan. While I think KD brings a bit more to the table than Ron did, Ron still had a good plan, one that probably would have worked. Lady Luck's ugly stepsister reared her head, and through no fault of his own, Ron's ceiling was dropped several feet. Likewise Jim Satalin. You have to forgive me for keeping an eye out for that dark cloud that has followed us for 40 years. I'm hoping, but I won't believe until I hear those magic words one March. "In the East Region, the sixth seed, out of the Atlantic 10, the Dukes of Duquesne" (camera shows the team whooping and hollering).

Board footera