Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2018 6:43 pm  #1

Kadri-Ann Lass feature

I wanted to share my feature on Kadri-Ann Lass. She really opened up to me and gave me a lot of great info. Hopefully you learn something about her and this journey which has taken her from Estonia to America. http://dystpittsburgh.com/tenacious-lass-makes-duquesne-record-books/

1/28/2018 10:01 am  #2

Re: Kadri-Ann Lass feature

Thanks for the EXCELLENT post -  So many things that we (as Americans take for granted) Language/Communications - Food, Culture Norms - can be completely different from what players like Kadri Ann, Julianna, Eniko etc have to go through - Makes their adjustment more remarkable, and their accomplishments even better.

I remember in the week before the U CONN game in the NCAA - Szmoza (after her junior year) said something like "I think U CONN was unbeatable but Kadri Ann (after her FRESHMAN year) convinced me NO ONE is unbeatable Even though the results weren't what we wanted - NEED MORE PLAYERS with that kind of confidence!!!

1/28/2018 11:07 am  #3

It is amazing how what we consider easy is not so for others and I am sure vice versa. What Kadri has done is remarkable. What is most important about Kadri is how she has grown as a person. We talked for over 30 minutes for this feature and when we got to discussing her sophomore season, she really opened up. Last year both herself and Dan Burt repeatedly said they could not put their finger on it. Kadri clearly had given it thought and let it go.

She even said to me after the interview that she had time to assess everything but that she was over what happened last year. She does not dwell on it and it clearly shows in her play.

1/28/2018 1:18 pm  #4

Great article, Zachary, & as most of the time I'm too lazy to do much posting here, let me say that I do read & enjoy all of your coverage & player profiles.  I echo what Skeptic Al says about the difficulty of adjusting to a new culture for somebody so young & how remarkable it is when they pull it off.  We tend to forget how young the ladies & men who play college sports are, until for instance at the most recent Dukes Dunks & Donuts when I got in line for coffee behind a few of the women's players & saw that they were looking at little cardboard pictures of the Powder Puff Girls & laughing about something, & then I'm reminded that while in some ways they're adults, in other ways they're kids.  They do a much better job with the adjustments & expectations than I would have at their age.

Board footera