Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2018 3:51 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Massachusetts Minutemen

applecorps wrote:

Phildog wrote:

One of these four videos was similar to many breakdowns we've seen this year. It's the tactic of sending the center out to the top of the key for a temporary double-team on the ball. This leaves the offense's big guy to approach the basket. If the guard can get the ball to him, either directly or via two quick passes, he either stuffs it alone or over a smaller guy (like Mike Lewis) who tries to pick him up until the center rotates back.

Not sure why KD uses this tactic so often, as it seldom results in a steal, and often ends up as noted above.

I've watched quite a few college games over the years. That double-team on the point guard with a big is fairly common among the top programs that play man. It's meant to disrupt the opponents offensive flow. However, it is predicated on the fact that your bigs are mobile and quick. I'm sure KD installed it this year because it is part of his complete defensive scheme and let's get everyone used to it. Remember, this year was not about winning. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/04/2018 5:45 pm  #52

KenOTR73 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Phildog wrote:

One of these four videos was similar to many breakdowns we've seen this year. It's the tactic of sending the center out to the top of the key for a temporary double-team on the ball. This leaves the offense's big guy to approach the basket. If the guard can get the ball to him, either directly or via two quick passes, he either stuffs it alone or over a smaller guy (like Mike Lewis) who tries to pick him up until the center rotates back.

Not sure why KD uses this tactic so often, as it seldom results in a steal, and often ends up as noted above.

I've watched quite a few college games over the years. That double-team on the point guard with a big is fairly common among the top programs that play man. It's meant to disrupt the opponents offensive flow. However, it is predicated on the fact that your bigs are mobile and quick. I'm sure KD installed it this year because it is part of his complete defensive scheme and let's get everyone used to it. Remember, this year was not about winning. 

Right, Ken, I have seen it employed by other teams, but I think it has been a bit over-used in this case. When it loses its element of surprise, the opponent can be very quick to counter it.

3/04/2018 6:11 pm  #53

Phildog wrote:

coffee wrote:

Chas gets kicked around on the board sometimes but we really missed his defense inside tonight.   They scored at will and when we collapsed inside to help out they were open for threes.

It'll be nice to have some bigs who can score and defend.  JaRob started to fill the need in the first half until he was called for some phantom fouls.

Avoid those fouls and this would have been a different game.

He had 2 in first half and played little rest of game.

Ray Goss said he was sick and in street clothes.

Just checked the box score.." Did not play.  We could have used him against Hines.  He killed us inside.

Last edited by coffee (3/04/2018 6:20 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/04/2018 7:13 pm  #54

Well, I've seen this crap before, for the last 35 years. Team got worse, not better.

3/04/2018 7:23 pm  #55

Peterson Events Center is right up the road from your diner.  Join the Golden Panthers and watch a winner !  I’m personally disappointed it took you this long to make a disparaging comment.

3/04/2018 8:50 pm  #56

Somerset24 wrote:

Peterson Events Center is right up the road from your diner. Join the Golden Panthers and watch a winner ! I’m personally disappointed it took you this long to make a disparaging comment.

LOL! By the way, The Golden Panthers were disbanded decades ago.

3/05/2018 8:46 am  #57

duq81 wrote:

Somerset24 wrote:

Peterson Events Center is right up the road from your diner. Join the Golden Panthers and watch a winner ! I’m personally disappointed it took you this long to make a disparaging comment.

LOL! By the way, The Golden Panthers were disbanded decades ago.

Didn't that team beat us earlier in the year? I said at the beginning of the season that progress would be playing better at the end of the year. They aren't.  We're -- what? -- 2-9 in our last 11, losing to some teams we beat earlier. If not for the cream puff OOC schedule, we'd have 10 wins. Jim Ferry could have done that. Those transfers better be good or we spent a lot of money on a coach who can't recruit, again.

3/05/2018 9:49 am  #58

Jim Ferry basically did do it. It's mainly his players with a few new ones sprinkled in. Ritter, that 2-9 mark included some very close losses to some very tough competition. A short-handed Duquesne lost to Pitt, with Ryan Luther in the lineup earlier. Don't let the facts get in the way. If you think for one minute that this current coach is on Jim Ferry's level, you're dilirious.

3/05/2018 12:58 pm  #59

Didn't hear from Ritter when the team was playing well. Now we'll be stuck listening to him until October.

All the more reason to wish for a miracle in the A10 Tournament.

3/05/2018 1:04 pm  #60

Trying to remember when a first year coach had a winning season here. I have not done any research for lack of time here at work but I recall RE was 10-19 in year 1. Of course, he might have done better if not for the catastrophic shootings. We'll never know. Certainly JF did not have a winning season with 8 wins in year 1. Rule out Danny Nee. Don't have to look that up!! Ditto D. Porter and others. Here we are with a first year coach with many players from a previous regime at 16-15 currently. I know all about the soft OOC schedule.  My pre-season prediction was 14-15 wins knowing about the schedule. It's human nature to always want more than we have. If KD  wins 18 this year, most of us would want 19 and so on. Very glad to have our current coach!

3/05/2018 1:17 pm  #61

president wrote:

Trying to remember when a first year coach had a winning season here. I have not done any research for lack of time here at work but I recall RE was 10-19 in year 1. Of course, he might have done better if not for the catastrophic shootings. We'll never know. Certainly JF did not have a winning season with 8 wins in year 1. Rule out Danny Nee. Don't have to look that up!! Ditto D. Porter and others. Here we are with a first year coach with many players from a previous regime at 16-15 currently. I know all about the soft OOC schedule.  My pre-season prediction was 14-15 wins knowing about the schedule. It's human nature to always want more than we have. If KD  wins 18 this year, most of us would want 19 and so on. Very glad to have our current coach!

The beauty about KD is that there is not a single person on this board who had higher expectations or is more upset with only winning 16 games than he is.

3/05/2018 1:50 pm  #62

president wrote:

Last DU MBB coach with a winning first year record was John Cinicola in 1974-75. Cini was the last of 8 consecutive coaches with winning records their first year. Rice finished at .500. Since then, only one other coach (Satalin) won at least 12 games. Dambrot's 16 wins are second only to Dudey Moore's 17 in his first season.

2017-18 Keith Dambrot 16-15 (Jim Ferry 10-22 previous year)
2012–13 Jim Ferry 8–22 (Ron Everhart 16-15 year before)
2006–07 Ron Everhart 10–19 (Danny Nee 3-24 year before)
2001–02 Danny Nee 9–19 (Darelle Porter 9-21 year before)
1998–99 Darelle Porter 5–23 (Scott Edgar 11-19 year before)
1995–96 Scott Edgar 9–18 (John Carroll 10-18 year before)
1989–90 John Carroll 7–22 (Jim Satalin 13-16 year before)
1982–83 Jim Satalin 12–16 (Mike Rice 11-16 year before)
1978–79 Mike Rice 13–13 (John Cinicola 11-17 year before)
1974–75 John Cinicola 14–11 (Red Manning 12-12 year before)
1958–59 Red Manning 13–11 (Dudey Moore 10-12 year before)
1948–49 Dudey Moore 17–5 (Chick Davies 17-6 year before)
1924–25 Chick Davies 11–7 (Bill Campbell 8-6 year before)
1923–24 Bill Campbell 8–6 (Fr. McGuigan 16-2 year before)
1920–21 Ben Lubic 11–6 (Fr. McGuigan 6-10 year before)
1914–15 Fr. Eugene McGuigan 12–2 (Alexander Hogarty 7-2 year before)
1913–14 Alexander Hogarty 7–2 (first DU BB coach)

3/05/2018 2:17 pm  #63

Thanks ElDuque! We have to go back 39 seasons (I think) for a non-losing 1st year. We all need to take a chill pill! The best is yet to come.

Board footera