Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2018 7:39 am  #26

Re: A10 Tournament

Some thoughts:
1. The Dukes should get at least one home game in the NIT since they will have the best record of the A10 contingent (probably DU, Fordham, Mason and SJU). In women’s ball, the A10 is considered to be a true mid-major.
2. The Dukes are a relatively small team with only Kadri giving them true size. For the past three years, we have played two 6’3” bigs together. Paige and Eni are good rebounders, but not so good on the ball defenders. Our guards are smallish also. Would love to see more Helmi and a 6’5” or better recruit!!!
3. The injuries to Nina Aho and Angela Staffelino really hurt this team. Both would have been big contributors as they were last year. Nina would have added strength and shooting. Angela was definitely a scorer whose Defense was improving. Both should get real minutes next year.
4. Watching UConn yesterday, they played a good bit of zone D. Probably due to 3 games in 3 days and their best defender was hurt. As sooon as a ball was dribbled, two defenders attacked with one then fading and giving the zone its continuity. Interesting way to prent the dribble drive. Of course, UConn has superior players. Wouldn’t mind seeing the Dukes play more zone.
5. We are a consistent 20 win team over the past 10 years. That is great and let’s remember to give Coach Burt and the staff credit. Unfortunately, as a mid-major, to go to the dance as an at-large, 25 wins seems to be the number needed. We are close. More size, particularly at the 3 and 5, and a bit stronger D will get us there hopefully.
6. I enjoyed watching this team. They battled and worked hard. Let’s have a good NIT run to cap a good season!

3/05/2018 10:46 am  #27

SkepticAl wrote:

DuqBeach:  ARE 100% Correct about Good Refs/Bad Refs -  JUST hope they ARE CONSISTENT (what is a foul at one end is a foul at the other)  ESPECIALLY IN A TOURNAMENT GAME.

Coach Burt probably "works the officials" as much as anyone -  this is the FIRST time I've seen/heard specific comments directed towards them.

For what it is worth "basketball metrics" Seem to indicate that other than a lay up (or a dunk on the men's side)  a THREE IS A BETTER OPTION THAN THE 2!!!  Was an article in Sports Illustrated a while back about that - (Oddly enough they used Marshall vs Pitt as an example)  - Unsure if the metrics apply to the ladies as well.

So maybe  it's not just a guards "shoot first pass second mentality" but more of what baseball teams are doing these days with their defense etc.

Connor, Kadri Ann & Paige their share of 3's -- Even Eniko who seems reluctant to go back up after grabbing an offensive rebound will "pull the trigger" if the ball is in her hands behind the arc.  Think Kadri Ann is the ONLY one who can "create" consistently from inside (get the ball - spin one way or the other etc. go up score/draw a foul)  Hopefully Laia adds that option.   

There are/have been some concerns about our "match up" problems with Dayton - had the ladies got a second game with them maybe the results are different - had VCU got a third crack against DU - (especially down there) maybe That would have been different.

Some wins in the NIT would be nice.

Kadri  really was only post up player who could create shots but she really was only one who got ANY passes
to low post, When Eniko and Helmi were open they  really got any passes.
The substitution vs St  Louis still bothers me: Eniko was on the court for 3 minutes and after the first mistake she went back to bench.I would say that as an insult  Same "mistakes" were tolerated by the starters. Same happened with Helmi.
Was it determined in the pre season who are starters   what ever would happen .

3/05/2018 2:08 pm  #28

I'm not close enough to the program to know for sure, but I would guess that PT is earned by a number of factors. Experience, certainly, but also each player's ability to understand what is expected and what to do on both offense and defense.

It's common for a coach to play the players who offer the best opportunity to win. Sometimes, that's not just about raw talent.

In football, for example, you might have a cornerback with amazing speed and strong tackling ability, but if he is continually getting beat by receivers using simple moves on him, he may be replaced with a "lesser" player.

In a program like ours, which has experienced consistent winning for several years, it's good to see players have the opportunity to develop, rather than being thrust into vital roles before they're ready.

But again, I am not an expert. Just offering one opinion.

3/05/2018 8:29 pm  #29

I agree with many comments from Hook Shot, Skeptic Al, Luke and El Duque regarding our posts, match-up issues, who gets to play, etc.  I'm probably repeating myself, but here is my 2 cents.

At the conclusion of the magical 2015-2016 season when Duquesne went to the big dance, defeated Seton Hall and then lost to UConn in the 2nd round, I asked Dan what the Dukes needed to do to get to the next level.  He replied- We have to get bigger and stronger.  'Hook Shot's' comment about getting a 6'5 or bigger post is spot on.  My take is, there's nothing wrong in continuing to recruit 6'3 players who can shoot the 3, but significant size is needed down low. Until we get that size (along with reasonable mobility and skill), Duquesne will continue to have problems not just defending dribble drives into the post, but getting boxed out and out-rebounded.  Don't read too much into this, but in a radio show, Dan said he has 2 2020 verbal commitments from kids who have size.  I don't know if 'size' means more 6'2, 6'3 players OR (and I'm hoping), 6'4, 6'5 and maybe bigger.

Until then, Duquesne has to do something different defensively, where we are vulnerable from dribble drive penetration.  I follow the PAC12 schools intently and #6 Oregon and #12 Oregon State EXTENSIVELY play zone. As 'Hook Shot' mentioned, so will UConn.  Many other schools do as well.  Early in the season, I saw (first-hand) an undersized Western Illinois team- travel out to face mighty Stanford (a final 4 team and LARGE), and defeat them using an aggressive zone defense.  Duquesne is bigger than Western Illinois and more talented.  Duquesne does not have the athleticism on the perimeter to play effective man-to-man, so why not move to a strong zone, or at least play more zone?

Last point; Is anyone on the staff working with Helmi, Kadri, Angela, or even Paige regarding their footwork and developing better moves around the basket? Do we have anyone on the staff who can do this?  I have seen players come in as freshmen who are awkward and by the time they are seniors, they have become a force to be reckoned with.  A team I am familiar with recruited someone whose primary function was to work with and develop post players.  That team (a power five school) has produced two All-American posts and because of that work, they can more easily attract quality posts coming out of high school.

I am sure there is work being done to improve the performance of the team, but perhaps in a different direction.  I don't know, but with Laila Sole becoming eligible, our injured players healthy, and everyone but Judy coming back, I am confident the team will be stronger.  Just want to see us get some real size in the future.

3/05/2018 10:12 pm  #30

levon1975 wrote:

Duquesne is disrespected at every juncture in this league. I would like to see Duquesne explore opportunities in another league. When you are a 2-seed playing a low seed and get screwed by the refs there is a definite problem. I’ve watched the men’s team get screwed by the refs in this league all season; and there is no end to it. Screw the A-10!

So you want to deemphasize basketball? To get into the BE, we'll need to become a power in this league. Any other league we could go to is a garbage league. The Horizon fell to 26th this year. I'll pass on that. The MAAC? NAAHHHHH! You do realize that the A 10 gets it's officials from the same pool as the other eastern leagues. Duquesne is well down the pecking order, so we don't get the top crews.

Board footera