Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 11:23 am  #1

Special Announcement - 10/23 @ 11AM

Per an e-mail to Duquesne fans, there is a special announcement being made at 11AM on 10-23 at the AJ Palumbo Center.  Remarks by Ken Gormley and Dave Harper. 

Could this be it?

Last edited by WEB (10/17/2018 11:30 am)

10/17/2018 11:50 am  #2

Re: Special Announcement - 10/23 @ 11AM

i wonder what this could be, he said sarcastically

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/17/2018 12:52 pm  #3

yak-rbc wrote:

i wonder what this could be, he said sarcastically

The Dukes have accepted an invitation to join the Big East Conference, effective July 1, 2019.

Hey. what's the point of dreaming if you can't dream big.

We all know that they're going to announce that they will be wasting some large amount of money, putting lipstick on the pig that is the AJ Palumbo Center. Don't beat me up, it's an opinion, and I'm entitled to have it even you don't agree with it. Both St. Joe's, and LaSalle have done this recently. Duke is quaking in their boots.

10/17/2018 1:18 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

The Dukes have accepted an invitation to join the Big East Conference, effective July 1, 2019.

well, i guess that's an idea.

Your opinion is one I agree with, however. The Palumbo as it was built leaves little ability to make it great, buuuut we'll see

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/17/2018 1:52 pm  #5

Before criticizing the plan; shouldn’t we wait and see what is presented?  My suggestion is to play in the current Palumbo but raise funds for a new facility built to modern standards.  Obviously, this would be ideal if money was no object.  Perhaps we could give a Russian Oligarch  naming rights in return for easy credit terms!

10/17/2018 3:18 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

Before criticizing the plan; shouldn’t we wait and see what is presented? My suggestion is to play in the current Palumbo but raise funds for a new facility built to modern standards. Obviously, this would be ideal if money was no object. Perhaps we could give a Russian Oligarch naming rights in return for easy credit terms!

Mega Millions and Powerball are up to a combined 1.2 billion. Let's get those tickets, and if we win, donate some of that for a new arena. :D
All jokes aside, that's actually what I'd like to see. Spruce AJ up, but embark on a 5 year fundraiser to build a nice 7,000 seat arena with no bleachers. 7,000 seats would also fill a void in the city. We could book a ton of concerts that are not really big enough for PPG.

Last edited by duq81 (10/17/2018 3:21 pm)

10/17/2018 5:44 pm  #7

I like the idea of someone winning the MegaMillions and donating a large chunk for a new 7k arena.   I will do my part if I win.   

I wonder though if that would ever fly with the city now.   Putting a 7k arena a block from an 18k arena.  I don’t think that would ever get through.   That area is already a mess during rush hour on event nights. 

They can’t do anything about renovating current structure and keeping similar capacity. 

I’m excited to see the plans.

10/17/2018 7:24 pm  #8

I’m excited to see what the renovations look like, however I also agree we would be better off with an entirely new facility. 6-7k would be perfect. An actual enclosed bowl with all seats rather than bleachers would create a much more “big time program” feel and a better atmosphere at the games.

All that said, still happy and excited.

10/17/2018 8:06 pm  #9

If the plans look anything like the leaked pictures on PSN I’m for it.

I hope that on the non luxury box side it can be one continuous large section of seats.   Not the present two tiered setup.   This could enable capacity to stay around the sans.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/17/2018 8:49 pm)

10/17/2018 8:19 pm  #10

If I win the MegaMillions, you'll be watching future home games at the El Duque Dome. 

10/17/2018 8:50 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

If I win the MegaMillions, you'll be watching future home games at the El Duque Dome. 

I respect that.   But it could be called the E. D. Dome.   And that wouldn’t be good.   Lol.   I listen to too much AM radio.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/17/2018 8:51 pm)

10/18/2018 7:34 am  #12

duqkurt wrote:

If the plans look anything like the leaked pictures on PSN I’m for it.

I hope that on the non luxury box side it can be one continuous large section of seats. Not the present two tiered setup. This could enable capacity to stay around the sans.

Those pics have been floating around for at least a year.  It does look nice, and anything like that would be sweet.  I do think the AJP could receive a face lift and look really nice.  It not only needs an interior make over, but an exterior one too.  Drove up Forbes recently, late night, and really couldnt tell the place was there.  It just looks like another office or school building, not a sports arena.  The whole intersection looked dim and kinda dangerous.

10/18/2018 8:49 am  #13

ED how about just, THE DOME!  Seriously the bottom section of the paint can arena across the street is 9,000 seats. You will never get the money nor the approvals for anything more than what can be placed on the current foot print. I would hope longer term more games are capable of being moved to there.

10/18/2018 8:51 am  #14

I plan on attending this meeting.

I like the idea overall.

But I agree with Duq81 on a new facility - unless they are going to completely gut the old building and really come up with something new and innovative it really isn't THE answer, just an answer.  And I really don't like the pictures that have been circulating if that's the best example someone can come up with (other than perhaps the facade along Forbes that they show).  How about buying the property across the street and putting up something new there?  Or relocate the fire station on the corner and use the whole block for something new?  All probably too expensive.  But if you are going to do something let's do it right. 

That being said, Pres. Gormley and  AD Harper have both surprised me numerous times in the past few years with the kinds of things they have done to promote Duquesne academically and otherwise and the men's and women's teams in particular.  What I often thought they were going to do was surpassed by what they actually did.  So I'm looking for that on Tuesday.  I want to be pleasantly surprised like these 2 gentlemen have done before.

10/18/2018 9:48 am  #15

I would build the Forbes side out, closer to the street, with bright colors, not that tan cinder block and red.  Put up a nice marquee and light up display.  Have a glass wall in order to show the city views.  I think there are a lot of possibilities there, hopefully they pick something that will last, and look good and attract recruits and fans and help us win games, lower that huge opening dirty looking ceiling, will make it louder.

Board footera