Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2023 12:21 am  #1

Robert Morris Back In NEC For Football in 2024

Robert Morris will be back in the NEC for football in 2024.   Gives DU a really good rivalry game

11/30/2023 9:02 am  #2

Re: Robert Morris Back In NEC For Football in 2024

That’s for the best for both them and the NEC. Perhaps paves the way for one or more of the teams departing for MBB to remain for football.

11/30/2023 2:54 pm  #3

Yes.  It was apparent last week when their men’s lacrosse team joined the NEC.   The other team that left was Bryant but they just moved to CAA. 

I think that means they will let Merrimack and Sacred Heart stay as well.  Both are going to MAAC which doesn’t have football.

Last edited by DuqBlue (11/30/2023 2:55 pm)

11/30/2023 3:01 pm  #4

I take that back.  This is from the RMU press release:

“NEC football sponsorship will include seven competing programs next season, as core members Central Connecticut, LIU, Saint Francis U, Stonehill and Wagner will be joined by associate members Duquesne and Robert Morris.”

The NEC is plain stupid.   No Merrimack or Sacred Heart.

12/01/2023 12:10 pm  #5

DuqBlue wrote:

I take that back. This is from the RMU press release:

“NEC football sponsorship will include seven competing programs next season, as core members Central Connecticut, LIU, Saint Francis U, Stonehill and Wagner will be joined by associate members Duquesne and Robert Morris.”

The NEC is plain stupid. No Merrimack or Sacred Heart.

This situation is so bizarre. There doesn't seem to be any urgency on anyone's part. I just don't get it. A nine team conference seems like a win/win for the NEC. Are they going to play as independents? If so the Dukes and other NEC teams should schedule them anyway. 

12/01/2023 12:16 pm  #6

Independent would be such an L for Merrimack’s program, but who knows how much football even does for them. Probably a bigger L for SHU.

We know the Dukes have done well with buy games from a financial perspective. And without a conference, at this end of FCS, what do your players have to play for?

12/01/2023 12:33 pm  #7

Face wrote:

Independent would be such an L for Merrimack’s program, but who knows how much football even does for them. Probably a bigger L for SHU.

We know the Dukes have done well with buy games from a financial perspective. And without a conference, at this end of FCS, what do your players have to play for?

Maybe they could hook up with the remaining 4 teams in the Pac12. (just kidding) 

12/01/2023 10:03 pm  #8

Face wrote:

Maybe you hit on the point.  Maybe the NEC schools don’t want a 9 team conference.   You lose those buy games.   

Apparently the next “Stonehill” down the road is the University of New Haven.  D2 football getting ready to join the NEC.

12/01/2023 11:18 pm  #9

MikeR wrote:

Face wrote:

Maybe they could hook up with the remaining 4 teams in the Pac12. (just kidding) 

Face you mean the TWO teams in the PAC 12!!!!!   As a side note today they announced Oregon State & Washington State will play teams from the Mountain West.  Would HATE to be a MATH Teacher explaining how the PAC 12 has TWO teams -  OR a GEOGRAPHY teacher explaining how California is in the ATLANTIC Coast Conference!!

Last edited by SkepticAl (12/01/2023 11:18 pm)

12/02/2023 4:47 pm  #10

According to a website "Fear the FCS," Sacred Heart and Merrimack are looking at their options for football and understand staying in the NEC for football is one. Also it says a league needs 6 eligible teams for an automatic playoff bid but is given a 2-year grace period to get back to 6. Stonehill won't be eligible until 2026.

Also a statement by the NEC suggests they are looking for more schools.

Finally Sports Business Journal says these schools have to pay exit fees of $1 million each.

Last edited by scduke (12/02/2023 4:53 pm)

12/02/2023 6:13 pm  #11

scduke wrote:

According to a website "Fear the FCS," Sacred Heart and Merrimack are looking at their options for football and understand staying in the NEC for football is one. Also it says a league needs 6 eligible teams for an automatic playoff bid but is given a 2-year grace period to get back to 6. Stonehill won't be eligible until 2026.

Also a statement by the NEC suggests they are looking for more schools.

Finally Sports Business Journal says these schools have to pay exit fees of $1 million each.

Hey, thanks for that. 

12/03/2023 9:50 am  #12

Fear the FCS said that the exclusion of Merrimack & Sacred Heart from the RMU announcement means they are out as members in all likelihood.

https://x.com/fearthefcs/status/1729589379696316889?s=46&t=GP7EjtudGDDC1i1puMC4hg

RMU joining gives them 6 and wiggle room.

Last edited by DuqBlue (12/03/2023 11:10 am)

12/03/2023 6:11 pm  #13

So there were rumors of the football City Game in 2025. Then rumors of Duquesne-RMU at Acrisure the same year. Obviously the Dukes and Bobby Mo will be playing in 2025 now. Are we playing at Heinz twice in the same year? Or did RMU replace Pitt?

12/04/2023 10:38 am  #14

DuqBlue wrote:

Fear the FCS said that the exclusion of Merrimack & Sacred Heart from the RMU announcement means they are out as members in all likelihood.

https://x.com/fearthefcs/status/1729589379696316889?s=46&t=GP7EjtudGDDC1i1puMC4hg

That is plausible. My information is 6 weeks old. If Merrimack and Sacred Heart wanted to stay in the NEC and it is an option as they say, then it would seem we should know by now.

12/04/2023 11:33 am  #15

scduke wrote:

DuqBlue wrote:

That is plausible. My information is 6 weeks old. If Merrimack and Sacred Heart wanted to stay in the NEC and it is an option as they say, then it would seem we should know by now.

I wonder if there is some negotiating going on in regard to the hefty exit fees.

12/04/2023 7:18 pm  #16

The exit fee is $1 million each.   That’s why the NEC doesn’t let them stay in football.  They want the exit fee.  lol

12/16/2023 10:03 pm  #17

I’m guessing no one responded because no one knows, but there were other topics being discussed. So I’ll ask again to see if anyone knows. Did Dukes -RMU replace the Pitt game in 2025? Or are we going to play at Heinz twice in 2025?

12/19/2023 7:40 pm  #18

luckymcd wrote:

I’m guessing no one responded because no one knows, but there were other topics being discussed. So I’ll ask again to see if anyone knows. Did Dukes -RMU replace the Pitt game in 2025? Or are we going to play at Heinz twice in 2025?

Yes, to be honest I really never heard DU/Pitt beyond a stray comment when they were playing WVU.  And I never heard DU/RMU at Acrisure.  I don’t understand how you would get Pitt and the Steelers to sign off that. With all the turf issues.

12/20/2023 6:20 am  #19

https://triblive.com/sports/pitt-duquesne-involved-in-talks-to-play-football-game-at-acrisure-stadium/

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/10/08/duquesne-robert-morris-football-rivalry-nearing-return/

There’s the articles on both possible games. The Pitt one makes sense and I’d like to see it happen. While I’d happy the RMU series is resuming, I don’t think it makes much sense to play it at Heinz Field. Even in a best case scenario, could we even fill the lower bowl? I am curious about whether the stories are related at all though. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

12/20/2023 12:28 pm  #20

luckymcd wrote:

https://triblive.com/sports/pitt-duquesne-involved-in-talks-to-play-football-game-at-acrisure-stadium/

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/10/08/duquesne-robert-morris-football-rivalry-nearing-return/

There’s the articles on both possible games. The Pitt one makes sense and I’d like to see it happen. While I’d happy the RMU series is resuming, I don’t think it makes much sense to play it at Heinz Field. Even in a best case scenario, could we even fill the lower bowl? I am curious about whether the stories are related at all though. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Thank you!

1/21/2024 4:25 pm  #21

Was looking at some articles that remarked how incoming NEC school Chicago State’s fundraising to expand their D1 programs, with the thought that football could be among them.

1/25/2024 7:30 pm  #22

Per FBSchedules: Duquesne at Boston College 9/7/24.

Still can't tell from their athletic department websites what Merrimack and Sacred Heart are doing with football next season.

However, Fear the FCS says Sacred Heart is going to be an FCS Independent in 2024. Merrimack is scheduling like it will not be in the NEC in 2024, either. Per FBSchedules, it has already scheduled 6 schools from 5 different conferences, none the NEC.

Last edited by scduke (1/26/2024 10:24 am)

1/30/2024 12:49 pm  #23

https://x.com/fearthefcs/status/1752376615227494836?s=46&t=GP7EjtudGDDC1i1puMC4hg

NEC schedules. And no Sacred Heart or Merrimack

Last edited by DuqBlue (1/30/2024 12:49 pm)

1/30/2024 5:15 pm  #24

Board footera