Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2024 12:17 pm  #26

Re: Mossie Cheer

VBC wrote:

After Mossie passed away I had discussions with a number of people about doing the cheer.  Every single one of them, including a former player with season tickets who has since moved south, said that they were not worthy to lead the cheer.  I know that I certainly don't feel worthy of such a task.  My thought at this point is perhaps the captain of the cheerleaders with the rest of the cheerleading squad around her could come out to center court and shout "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!" with the rest of the cheerleaders then joining in with Ahoya, Ahoya, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Ahoya, Let's Go Duquesne!!!

It is great strolling down Memory Lane with my friends here.  There will never be another Mossie, but I am OK with some fan, any fan with the kind of passion to try to unite the fan base and get the crowd cheering.  For too long our arena was known as the Slumber Center. If the guy from Omaha wants to take the lead and do the Mossie cheer, any version of it, or any other type cheer to spark the crowd then I say go for it.  Although I say knowing you and your passion for the Dukes you are certainly worthy.  

3/25/2024 12:52 pm  #27

YES! The wonderful visual of him jumping up and down and the stomping of feet.  I can see it and feel it.  Like we are back there. What a great discussion. 
This has to happen next year.  Keep his spirit alive.

I don’t post much as I don’t know the intricacies of the game like most of you but have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts and thoughts for years.  Thank you all.  And thank you to coach, players, Dave Harper, President Gormley, alum and fans for an unforgettable year.   Having been at the loss in 71, this has been a dream come true.  Let’s go Dukes!

3/25/2024 1:26 pm  #28

VBC wrote:

After Mossie passed away I had discussions with a number of people about doing the cheer.  Every single one of them, including a former player with season tickets who has since moved south, said that they were not worthy to lead the cheer.  I know that I certainly don't feel worthy of such a task.  My thought at this point is perhaps the captain of the cheerleaders with the rest of the cheerleading squad around her could come out to center court and shout "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!" with the rest of the cheerleaders then joining in with Ahoya, Ahoya, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Ahoya, Let's Go Duquesne!!!

Sure, the cheer will never be quite the same without Mossie, but I would love to see it become part of the Cooper Fieldhouse experience.  Having the cheerleaders do so would be a good place to start.

3/25/2024 1:35 pm  #29

I had the opportunity to lead the cheer with the Red & Blue Crew back in the mid 00s. It was an honor to do it, though I'm sure I didn't do it perfectly. I was probably one of the few in the Crew who had seen Mossie at games since I'd been going since I was a small child before he passed.

If it should 'belong' to anyone it should be the students, whether that's the cheerleaders, the Crew, or similar.

Last edited by Face (3/25/2024 1:36 pm)

3/25/2024 1:38 pm  #30

Face wrote:

I had the opportunity to lead the cheer with the Red & Blue Crew back in the mid 00s. It was an honor to do it, though I'm sure I didn't do it perfectly. I was probably one of the few in the Crew who had seen Mossie at games since I'd been going since I was a small child before he passed.

If it should 'belong' to anyone it should be the students, whether that's the cheerleaders, the Crew, or similar.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.  I appreciate that CLK would think that I would be worthy, but this old alum ain't gonna do it, no way, no how. 

3/25/2024 1:42 pm  #31

Not to take anything away from you either, VBC!

I'd love to get a more vociferous fanbase as a whole. I wish we did sports more like the Brits. I love watching the Premier League and hearing all the songs and chants.

3/25/2024 5:07 pm  #32

You know, somewhere there must be a video or film of Mossie in action. And in these days of AI it might be possible to reconstruct the whole shebang.  As in on the video boards at the Coop.   I  mean nobody minds that the actual band Styx doesn’t play at Steelers games.  Actually, such a recreation could be done several ways.   Hmm.

3/25/2024 5:22 pm  #33

I've searched far and wide Mike and have never been able to find any video of Mossie that would help settle this. I've seen one video of him leading cheers, but it didn't have any audio. I'd never say never since lost media seems to pop up all the time in this day and age. I'd be surprised if it's out there though.

Board footera