Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2024 10:16 pm  #26

Re: Dru Joyce III

I think Dru ends up getting the job, whether it's tomorrow at the first reasonable time or in a month after a nationwide search. Looking at the recruiting threads and seeing all the names from the portal that are mentioning being recruited by Duquesne, somebody is doing that recruiting. I doubt it's Dambrot, and obviously it's not his successor if it's not an internal hire. Also, like Phil said, there haven't been any names mentioned locally or nationally connected to the job even in the rumor mill. In this day and age, that speaks volumes. It also was precisely the reason I put that list together. As I said, I have no inside information. So I have no idea if Harper is interested in any of them, or if any of them would be interested in the job. I thought it would be nice to have a list of names who are out there though.

At the end of the day, it's nice to not be in a position of having to settle for a coach like we have too often in the past. If the job does end up going to Joyce, I don't think it is settling. It would be trying to keep the legacy and vision of a successful coach going into the future.

3/25/2024 10:36 pm  #27

FAM wrote:

On a side note - and not wanting a new thread, I was also at the girls game tonight.  Mr. Dixon, Mr. Williams, and Mr. Clark were also there.  I talked a little with Tre.  What a great, polite, and kind young man.  I thanked all of them for what they did for everyone and they were polite, humble, and thankful.  Those are 3 high character men.

I was lucky enough to be a few rows off the court behind the basket for Saturday's game. So after the team salute usually reserved for winning teams I congratulated and thanked the team on their way down the tunnel. Dixon was still a bit salty from the game, but you can't fault a competitor for that after getting blown out. He did thank me, but his body language spoke volumes. The team as a whole seemed genuinely appreciative of the support. Clark specifically stayed behind to sign autographs for a bunch of kids for probably 5 minutes. I got one on my program too, the first athlete I've asked for one in I don't even know how many years (decades would probably be more accurate). I congratulated him on a great season, and he fired back at me without hesitation, "we couldn't have done it without you." As great as the fan support was in Brooklyn and Omaha, I recognize it had next to nothing to do with the results on the court, but it was great to hear. This was a special team both on and off the court. Showing up to support the women's team is just another sign of that.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/25/2024 10:46 pm)

3/26/2024 7:50 am  #28

What no one is considering and sadly it is the POINT, salary. Although we are celebrating and reveling in our run it takes money. Ford was acknowledged as the highest paid coach in the A-10, many of the names listed on the “wish list” are making more than KD. 

3/26/2024 9:05 am  #29

I don’t think Dru can be very demanding in terms of salary for his first few years since he is not in a position of power… an assistant looking for his first head coaching job.

3/26/2024 9:18 am  #30

The Dome wrote:

What no one is considering and sadly it is the POINT, salary. Although we are celebrating and reveling in our run it takes money. Ford was acknowledged as the highest paid coach in the A-10, many of the names listed on the “wish list” are making more than KD. 

Some? Yes. Many? No. At this point I'd say no more than a couple are making more than the million per year Dambrot was getting. Don't forget Dambrot said he only came here the second time we offered because he knew the athletic department was committed to success. This year's run can only increase that funding.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/26/2024 9:21 am)

3/26/2024 9:40 am  #31

I would highly prefer if this gets announced in the next day or two. Don't drag your feet admins!!

3/26/2024 9:41 am  #32

The school or athletic dept, whoever runs the NIL fund, needs to keep striking while the iron is hot.   I got more emails in the last week+ than I got in 3 years.   They suddenly learned how to make tshirts!!!   They need to keep that up.   Have the link for people to donate to the NIL fund, and even state that is how college sports work now, we need NIL funds to keep or get the best players we can, all sports.   

Dambrot was 6th highest earnings as coach in the A10.   Mooney, Ford, Grant(all three over $2M), Odom, Miller were ahead of him, Martin, Schmidt and McKillop were just behind him.   Valentine was at the bottom, and they had one of the best teams, and Ford was disgraced by the end of season. 

3/26/2024 10:52 am  #33

3/26/2024 10:56 am  #34

CLK, thanks!

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: Barring an unforeseen set of circumstances, Duquesne is expected to promote Dru Joyce III to head coach.

Joyce was an assistant under Keith Dambrot.

11:19 AM · Mar 26, 2024

3/26/2024 11:34 am  #35

If this is the case, PLEASE ANNOUNCE IT NOW!!!

Aside from the anticipation killing me, figuring out who is staying & who is leaving ASAP is critical for the most effective portal shopping to be undertaken.

3/26/2024 12:33 pm  #36

My guess,the board,president and Harper have to meet with lawyers repesenting Dru and figure out
his contract.Waiting anxiously for some word,check this board every 2 hours for some news.
 Want to drive over for the introductory press conference to celebrate Dru being or coach.

3/28/2024 9:28 am  #37

Just throw this out there!
Does anyone think the announcement is waiting for the Wonens team to be done in the NIT?

Regardless my personal opinion is why wait!
I’m all in for DRUquesne!

Last edited by Motor (3/28/2024 9:32 am)

3/28/2024 9:42 am  #38

DRUquesne??  I like that.  I sense possible  marketing for  that!

3/28/2024 11:14 am  #39

kcc173 wrote:

DRUquesne??  I like that.  I sense possible  marketing for  that!

DRUquesne.  I’m stealing that

3/28/2024 11:49 am  #40

Motor wrote:

Just throw this out there!
Does anyone think the announcement is waiting for the Wonens team to be done in the NIT?

Regardless my personal opinion is why wait!
I’m all in for DRUquesne!

Good one Motor. Would that also make us the DRUkes 😀

3/28/2024 12:24 pm  #41

https://x.com/A10Talk/status/1772696959163269246?s=20

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/28/2024 12:25 pm)

3/28/2024 12:32 pm  #42

DRUquesne and the lion mascot being called Blufasa, the Dukes got some cool nicknames.  

Last edited by townsonkid (3/28/2024 12:58 pm)

3/28/2024 12:45 pm  #43

Supposedly the deal is done per Rothstein.

3/28/2024 12:51 pm  #44

MikeR wrote:

Here is his tweet today

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1773401776110133740?s=19

Sources: Duquesne has officially hired Dru Joyce III as its next head basketball coach.

3/28/2024 12:53 pm  #45

Rumor has it there will be a press conference but not this week… it IS a Catholic University.

3/28/2024 1:01 pm  #46

CLK wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Here is his tweet today

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1773401776110133740?s=19

Sources: Duquesne has officially hired Dru Joyce III as its next head basketball coach.

I think this is just outstanding.  Congratulations, Dru.

3/28/2024 2:08 pm  #47

Admittedly, my knowledge of the portal and the way it all works is limited but it seems a good sign that none of the brotherhood has entered and surely they are aware of this coaching succession plan. Congratulations, Coach!

3/28/2024 4:02 pm  #48

First, I love the logo mod. Beautiful.

Second, I totally agree Z. And that could be a good sign in general. A real sense of family among a program is attractive and keeps people in the fold.

3/28/2024 7:40 pm  #49

I had a great time in Omaha.  Had occasion to meet AD and new coach and several of the kids.  I could go on with this or that, but all this chatter about Lebron?  No one here knows that he’s anything but a friend and a fan. I have very wealthy powerful friends in my business, but that’s what they are. What is it - he sent shoes?  And thus you assume he’s a major donor, or sending his kids to   Duquesne.  Get real.  The whole Lebron thing is in your head not his or our perfectly capable new coach’s.

3/29/2024 12:31 am  #50

Some people, just don't get it. Lebron considers Dru to be his "Brother". Growing up together from humble beginings and then for both to find success at their same chosen profession, Basketball.....WOW ...I would call that a fairy tale story ....I think that would be a great movie script...no wait?! My bad... there already is a movie about that... "Shooting Stars".

If you think, that for one-mili-second, Lebron would hesitate to open his wallet for whatever NIL money Dru would ask for ....your living in LALA Land  !!!! In fact I would be shocked if Lebron hasn't had this conversation with Dru already, on how to best financailly support Dru efforts to succeed at Duquesne. be that NIL $$$$ or otherwise.

Here is a  link to a article in Forbes on Lebron networth. What I get from this article is 3- things...First, Lebron has always been a wise investor and smart businessman, two, Lebron is worth 1.2 Billion and 3rd, Lebron's financial suceess is largely about being a " Brand'. ... I mean he is,....after all called, "King James" everything that he has touched on and off the court  has succeeded, turned to Gold. Dru is the very embodiment of that "Brand". Of succeeding in the face of adversity, the "Rudy" story, where the little guy gets to win against all odds.....The" Great American Success" Story...,..Dru is the very embodiment of that success story. The natural continuation of that story .. IMO ..Dru, Lebron and Duquesne are the perfect fit to get us to continue that success story and having Duquesne dancing once again.

I don't think that  2 or 3 NIL agreements with Duquesne, to help with Dru's success, is too much to ask for?....Let's face it, to Lebron... 2, 3,  or even 4 NIL agreements would be a financial drop-in-the-bucket.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewithorn/2022/06/02/lebron-james-is-officially-a-billionaire/?sh=4245514a453e

I see that Paul Zeise of Post-Gazette has had many of the same thoughts, as myself, pertaining to Dru, LeBron and DU Basketball and how that mix can influence Duquesne B-Ball going forward.....

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2024/03/26/duquesne-promote-dru-joyce-keith-dambrot-dae-grant-ncaa-tournament/stories/202403260088

Just Being Real

Last edited by CalDuke (3/29/2024 9:10 am)

Board footera