Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 8:35 am  #1

Keith Dambrot on Lebron James and JJ Redick's "Mind the Game" Podcast

"We bring in LeBron's high school coach, Keith Dambrot to talk about what it was like to coach LeBron at such a young age. Keith provides wisdom for all coaches at any level about working with stars, role players and more. This is a special one so let's get to it! "

The NBA Playoffs | LeBron James and JJ Redick | Mind the Game (youtube.com)

4/17/2024 9:17 am  #2

Re: Keith Dambrot on Lebron James and JJ Redick's "Mind the Game" Podcast

Coach comes on for the second half of the episode right around 34:15

4/21/2024 10:05 am  #3

Thanks for posting this. Watching LeBron & Reddick talk through these things is very entertaining & even more educational. I learned so much from their conversation. I must admit this is the most likeable I have ever found both of these gents to be. That probably says more about me than them.

I also want to point out that much that what I have always suspected & posted about KD was confirmed by his commentary in response to J.J.'s assertion that "flex" & "motion" offenses are long outdated & irrelevant in today's game. Keith chimed right in about how correct Reddick was despite the fact that less than 18 months ago he had his team predominatly running elements of both of these offensive systems.

Now, I couldn't care less what offensive scheme a coach runs so long as it is highly effective & keeps the players engaged. During his time at DU, Dambrot's chosen offense system, more often than not, failed to check either box.

I do give the man credit for attempting to make major changes to the offensive schemes over the final 50-60 games of his career. That can't be easy to do so close the the end of a decades long run. Further credit is due for delegating this initiative to an assistant coach.

Always ready to revise history to the advantage of his image & behind the times in coaching philosophy; that's the KD I will remember most.

4/21/2024 2:43 pm  #4

What did that man do to you Phil?

Thanks for posting Bluffhunter. So cool to see Dambrot up there with those two talking hoops! He fit in like a glove. Maybe he moves that direction in retirement? Or some sort of commentary? I always appreciated his candor and commentary after games. It would be awesome to see him as some sort of college basketball pundit or something. I could see it.

4/21/2024 3:51 pm  #5

He consistently peddled BS for 7 years to cover for his lack of coaching success.

Why are you so concerned with what I think? You believe KD was a straight shooter prone to candor. I don't.

CityDuke wrote:

Thanks for posting Bluffhunter. So cool to see Dambrot up there with those two talking hoops! He fit in like a glove. Maybe he moves that direction in retirement? Or some sort of commentary? I always appreciated his candor and commentary after games. It would be awesome to see him as some sort of college basketball pundit or something. I could see it.

4/21/2024 3:57 pm  #6

phil95 wrote:

He consistently peddled BS for 7 years to cover for his lack of coaching success.

Why are you so concerned with what I think? You believe KD was a straight shooter prone to candor. I don't.

CityDuke wrote:

Maybe the name of this forum should be called “ Duquesne haters United.” 😂😂😂On a serious note I hope  Coach Dambrots wife  is doing well  with her treatment.👍

4/21/2024 11:14 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Maybe the name of this forum should be called “ Duquesne haters United.” 😂😂😂On a serious note I hope  Coach Dambrots wife  is doing well  with her treatment.👍

Would you rather it be called “The Keith Dambrot Cult United”?  I am consistently baffled by the way any thought that is not consistent with unwavering support of KD is met with such derision and the poster is characterized as a hater.  Why can’t anyone believe that KD underachieved without having to deal with backlash?  Furthermore, why is it perfectly permissible to complain about the AD, both past and present, and the University in general without anybody labeling that poster as a “hater”?  It’s clear that certain individuals are fair game to criticize while others are off limits. 

I prefer a forum where we are free to openly discuss all aspects of Duquesne basketball respectfully without fear of being censored or chastised because it is unpopular.  I , of course, hope KD’s wife is doing well.  And I will forever be grateful for the season that he delivered   But I also hope that I can reasonable discuss his body of work, both good and bad, in this forum without fear of being labeled a hater or being censored.

4/22/2024 3:01 am  #8

It's not like everybody on here is not fully aware of the futile history of  Duquesne Basketball....
Also feels a little bit like your  "Beating A Dead Horse" type-a-thing .... and IMHO .....a bit tedious and boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtGryb5-A0
                                                 Bart Simpson

"Can't we all just get Along".
                                                  OJ Simpson

Last edited by CalDuke (4/22/2024 10:19 am)

4/22/2024 6:34 am  #9

CalDuke wrote:

It's not like everybody on here is not fully aware of the futile history of  Duquesne Basketball....
Also feels a little bit like your  "Beating A Dead Horse" type-a-thing .... and IMHO .....a bit tedious and boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtGryb5-A0

OJ Simpson

Are you erroneously attributing the Rodney King quote to OJ for a comedic purpose I am not understanding?  Or do you just not know who said it?

4/22/2024 7:43 am  #10

Styles1229 wrote:

CalDuke wrote:

Also feels a little bit like your  "Beating A Dead Horse" type-a-thing ... and IMHO ....a bit tedious and  boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDCeFfyoxA
                                                  Homer Simpson

OJ Simpson

Are you erroneously attributing the Rodney King quote to OJ for a comedic purpose I am not understanding? Or do you just not know who said it?

It's called 'Irony" or "Sarcasm".....

Last edited by CalDuke (4/22/2024 10:17 am)

4/22/2024 7:48 am  #11

Styles, there is nothing "respectful" about what Phil is doing here though. He's had a bizarre personal animosity towards Keith for a long time. Keith's body of work, both at Duquesne and Akron, speaks for itself and he doesn't need to revise history to better his image. 

4/22/2024 8:25 am  #12

KD brought the program back to life and bowed out gracefully having provided the best year for DU BB in many a decade. That's how I will remember him. Now it's a new regime and we all are hoping for even bigger and better things to come. Let's be glad for what DJ3 has to build on and ...LET'S GO DUKES!!

Last edited by El Presidente (4/22/2024 8:26 am)

4/22/2024 9:04 am  #13

Back to Normal

When the news front is quiet, throw a large hunk of meat into the rink and watch the wolves tear each other apart.

The Great Spirit made us all. It is for this that we are all brothers

4/22/2024 9:12 am  #14

I was excited to see there were 11 comments on this thread after the weekend. Sad to see it's just like the others. One thing sticks out to me that Styles said and it's that Dambrot "Underachieved". Even if his first 6 seasons here were all like '21-'22 getting 6 total wins and 1 conference win, in his final season he made the NCAA Tournament and WON an NCAA Tournament game. At Duquesne. Phil, Styles, and others may be unaware but the last time Duquesne did each of those was 1977 and 1969 respectively. When Keith Dambrot came to Duquesne his goal was to return Duquesne to the NCAA Tournament and he did that and more. Keith Dambrot sure as hell did not underachieve at Duquesne.

Last edited by BluffHunter (4/22/2024 9:13 am)

4/22/2024 9:16 am  #15

BluffHunter wrote:

I was excited to see there were 11 comments on this thread after the weekend. Sad to see it's just like the others. One thing sticks out to me that Styles said and it's that Dambrot "Underachieved". Even if his first 6 seasons here were all like '21-'22 getting 6 total wins and 1 conference win, in his final season he made the NCAA Tournament and WON an NCAA Tournament game. At Duquesne. Phil, Styles, and others may be unaware but the last time Duquesne did each of those was 1977 and 1969 respectively. When Keith Dambrot came to Duquesne his goal was to return Duquesne to the NCAA Tournament and he did that and more. Keith Dambrot sure as hell did not underachieve at Duquesne.

To add onto that, he won 20 games in three of his seven seasons here. This program had one 20-win season since 1980. If that qualifies as "underachieved," sign me up for that.

4/22/2024 10:34 am  #16

Then why does he do that?

I pointed out a very obvious & easily verifiable example of KD misrepresenting his own body of work. What other reason, aside from burnishing his own image, would he have to do that?

I harbor no personal animus for KD because, I don't know him personally. I only comment on him as the coach & public personality he has chosen to be. I challenge any & all to produce an example of my having posted criticism of KD as a person independent of his role as the head basketball coach at Duquesne University.

I don't mind at all when fellow posters are critical of my ideas or dispute them in favor of their own. In fact, I wish there was more back and forth of that nature on this board because, when there is, I learn things that enable me to refine my own opinions.

I could raise countless examples of KD manipulating facts & anecdotes to his benefit. We all do this but, we don't all feel the need to regularly explain to our audience how much of a "straight-shooter" we are or how we are going to "give it you straight" while spewing basic falsehoods & half-truths designed to distract from the on-court results. (I prefer to give & receive BS with a somewhat equal measure of sincerity.)

I am sure all of us can recall multiple post game press conferences during which KD playfully explained how he is the worst athlete in his family & that is why he has had to "grind" for everything he has achieved. He usually went on to detail the achievements of his father, son, & Uncle Irwin. The cynic in me sees this as a coach subtly reinforcing his bona fides in the sport to deflect from the less than awesome results of his team.

KD would sometimes then talk specifically about how his uncle was the M.O.P. of the 1950 CCNY team that won both the NCAA tournament & NIT in the same season.

Dukes2012 wrote:

Styles, there is nothing "respectful" about what Phil is doing here though. He's had a bizarre personal animosity towards Keith for a long time. Keith's body of work, both at Duquesne and Akron, speaks for itself and he doesn't need to revise history to better his image. 

4/22/2024 10:56 am  #17

BluffHunter wrote:

BluffHunter, I am sorry.  I ask people to post information to this Board that others may find interesting and useful, and then their posts gets hijacked by vitriolic rants.  Things are going to change.

Board footera