Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 5:19 pm  #1

4/17/2024 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Trib Article On Staff Changes

Hope he gets a HC job somewhere, too young to retire.

4/17/2024 6:30 pm  #3

Interesting move, given Wiegand must have been one of DJ's college coaches. 

4/17/2024 7:50 pm  #4

Dru moves in to associate coaching job while Dambrots long time assistants passed over.Probably some
bad feelings surfaced and now all are gone.

4/17/2024 8:54 pm  #5

Two coaches gone without being immediately replaced is interesting during the first weeks of Dru's tenure (not unexpected other than the individual),  Sure hope this was part of the plan rather than a core disagreement during the key recruiting period.  I wonder how experienced assistant coaches generally feel about joining the staff of a first time head coach. 
Anyone privy to the timing?  Is this a recent event or just hitting the news.

4/17/2024 11:38 pm  #6

I don't see this as a problem. No one would want to have his former coach's long time asst. on his staff. DJ should pick his own staff going forward.

4/18/2024 6:17 am  #7

NapaDuke wrote:

I don't see this as a problem. No one would want to have his former coach's long time asst. on his staff. DJ should pick his own staff going forward.

I agree entirely. Already jumping off the edge when he just started?
He’s going to get the guys who will have the loyalty to him and perhaps he will grow theses guys for years to come. I predict future coaches in the DRU tree,
I’m sure new names will be announced soon Along with some great recruits. Key assistant will be a recruiter with contacts. I’m excited to see this play out!

4/18/2024 8:11 am  #8

Interesting since TW was Dambrots right hand man until Dru got there. I wondered if there were some leadership competition… appropriate but still.

I am also a little surprised who he kept. I’m sure he wants one of his own guys so someone had to go.

4/18/2024 10:16 am  #9

I wouldn’t get too analytical or read too much into these staff changes. It’s pretty normal for the staff to change when a new HC takes over.  Sometimes things just run their course and the decisions just become obvious. 

4/18/2024 10:28 am  #10

My lowly opinion is the best winning programs get the best players and have excellent recruiters. No brain surgery here!!!
The X’s and O’s In basketball usually are common between many teams. Aside from an inbound play or two nothing will be mind boggling.

Back in the day, I coached in a public school.  When I had good players I won and when I had poor players I lost. The plays were the same.
So, whomever he hires needs to be able to recruit.

4/18/2024 7:12 pm  #11

Yes, total agreement on your point, you have to get the best players that are within reach and then occasionally steal one who is typically out of reach!

4/20/2024 8:29 am  #12

The more I think about coach Terry W leaving, the more uncomfortable I am becoming for several reasons.  As mentioned in a previous post, he seemed to be the coach with the best relationship with the players.  He also has a ton of experience and was a prior head coach.  He has deep ties in the AAU world, and can interact with all types of parents, which we should not underestimate. This also does not sit right as it is another example of Dambrot either throwing loyalty out the door by not protecting coach Terry or buy Dru throwing Dambrot under the bus.  Either way, the dismissal of coach Terry is not good for the program, is not a good look, and takes away more of the culture we had at the end of this season.

We have a 39-year old coach who has never coached a single basketball game and has very little experience recruiting.  We are all acting like we are guaranteed to return to the NCAA just because we hired Dru and have 5-6 players returning.  We are behind other teams in our league in terms of having a complete coaching staff, and also with building the roster.

4/20/2024 8:55 am  #13

I understand that Terry did a good job, but I simply wouldn't worry about it.  This is extremely commonplace in the coaching world, and if anything, I would HOPE that Duquesne would give Joyce the autonomy to hire whoever he wanted to be a part of his staff rather than forcing him to keep anyone from Keith's staff.  Whenever I became the head coach at Penn State Altoona I didn't keep the previous assistant coach despite the prior coach leaving on a good note.  I hired my own assistant and would have been annoyed had my superiors suggested otherwise.  There are a ton of qualified coaches out there.  That being said, I wish Coach the best and personally I hope he lands a head coaching gig.  He deserves a chance to prove himself.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera