Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2024 7:30 am  #1

Transfer Ratings

With such an awesome portal additions I thought might take stab at personal ratings.

Going to rate 1-5 with my take on possible position played. First position listed my guess at his best fit
Feel free to tear apart or add to it

Go Dukes

1. Maximus Edwards SF, 2G
2. Tre Dinkins PG, 2G
3. Jasheen Corbett PF, SF
4. Alex Williams SF, 2G
5. Cam Crawford 2G, SF

Well can we add a C, PF to this list? Eli Wilborn
We got him now he goes to top as a
1. Center, Power Forward

I know it’s a new era of rating recruits with the portal but this is arguably the best class in DU history!

Go DRUquesne!

Last edited by Motor (5/08/2024 10:45 am)

5/07/2024 8:05 am  #2

Re: Transfer Ratings

All I know is that I am impressed with this recruiting class. Cannot wait to see what these guys can do on the floor together and with the fellas who were already on the team. Hopefully they all have a great summer of team building and hard work!

5/07/2024 8:06 am  #3

Motor wrote:

With such an awesome portal additions I thought might take stab at personal ratings.

Going to rate 1-5 with my take on possible position played. First position listed my guess at his best fit
Feel free to tear apart or add to it

Go Dukes

1. Maximus Edwards SF, 2G
2. Tre Dinkins PG, 2G
3. Jason Corbett PF, SF
4. Alex Williams SF, 2G
5. Can Crawford 2G, SF

Well can we add a C, PF to this list? Eli Wilborn

I agree with this and especially that we need a C/PF to round out the recruiting.  If what you posit about positions is correct, it will be VERY VERY crowded at the 3/4 position:

Jake
Corbett
Williams
Matus
Necas

Not to mention a couple of 2 guards that also play the 3. 

My only complaint with the recruiting is the lack of a true PG.  I hope Dinkins is that guy but I still think that puts Rozier on the floor too much.   Obviously, Bronny coming makes the recruiting an A+.  Right now I give it an A-   The signing of Maximus moved it up from a B

Is anyone else wondering how all these 3/4 guys are going to get PT?  In the old days you’d recruit HS kids and the understanding was they would play sparingly while sitting on the bench, learning.  Now, you have 11 guys on a team expecting to play.  I’m curious who will be this year’s Savrasov/H Drame/Matus

5/07/2024 8:21 am  #4

Would love to land him, not sure what the scholarship # is at now, we all assume DiMichele is getting one, if so, we are at 12.   No one knows the story with Hall, is he #13?   If not, Wilborn would be the perfect fit to fill out the roster.   Need another big body, someone who can work in the paint, and love the fact he is only going to be a sophomore.

Last edited by townsonkid (5/07/2024 8:21 am)

5/07/2024 9:17 am  #5

Dru certainly has brought in guys who know how to score. As we have seen, however, defense wins championships.  It will be interesting to see how these guys defend as a team.  If I were to bet, my money would be on Jake, Necas and Dixon to start.  We really have a solid experience core in the 6 returning players.  I am really looking forward to watching these guys take the next step.  

5/07/2024 10:30 am  #6

CLK wrote:

Dru certainly has brought in guys who know how to score. As we have seen, however, defense wins championships.  It will be interesting to see how these guys defend as a team.  If I were to bet, my money would be on Jake, Necas and Dixon to start.  We really have a solid experience core in the 6 returning players.  I am really looking forward to watching these guys take the next step.  

I strongly disagree with this and it saddens me a bit.   Dru heavily recruited these portal guys and he almost certainly means to play them and a lot.  I only see Dixon of the old guard seeing regular playing time. I know it sounds blasphemous to say but Jake is looking more and more like the odd man out.  I have heard he was not given a scholarship and that says it all.  If Necas can shift to the 5 spot he may see time but he and Matus may  also be looking left out.  Hopefully there is a battle for PT and it’s fair but, bottom line, Dru brought in established players with experience to play the positions of Jake, Necas, and Matus and he did not bring them in to sit on the bench.

5/07/2024 11:07 am  #7

First, I want the Dukes to win. Whomever is on the floor to make that happen is fine with me. I can see the possibility of Jake and Matus playing subordinate roles this coming season but not sure that I see Necas in that category. The guy has too much upside for me to see him riding the bench very much. Of course, only time will tell. Necas could be a tough matchup for lots of players with his height and inside strength and his ability to step out and make 3's consistently. Looked like a player to me his freshman year. Again, time will tell. GO DUKES!!

5/07/2024 11:10 am  #8

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I strongly disagree with this and it saddens me a bit. Dru heavily recruited these portal guys and he almost certainly means to play them and a lot. I only see Dixon of the old guard seeing regular playing time. I know it sounds blasphemous to say but Jake is looking more and more like the odd man out. I have heard he was not given a scholarship and that says it all. If Necas can shift to the 5 spot he may see time but he and Matus may also be looking left out. Hopefully there is a battle for PT and it’s fair but, bottom line, Dru brought in established players with experience to play the positions of Jake, Necas, and Matus and he did not bring them in to sit on the bench.

I think the guys who will sit on the bench are the ones who can't learn or play defense. 

5/07/2024 11:10 am  #9

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I strongly disagree with this and it saddens me a bit. Dru heavily recruited these portal guys and he almost certainly means to play them and a lot. I only see Dixon of the old guard seeing regular playing time. I know it sounds blasphemous to say but Jake is looking more and more like the odd man out. I have heard he was not given a scholarship and that says it all. If Necas can shift to the 5 spot he may see time but he and Matus may also be looking left out. Hopefully there is a battle for PT and it’s fair but, bottom line, Dru brought in established players with experience to play the positions of Jake, Necas, and Matus and he did not bring them in to sit on the bench.

If what you heard is true, then Jake is on the same deal as last year. When KD was on the 3 Bid League podcast he described that Jake was a 4.0 high school student and was able to receive some pretty hefty funds for the academic success. I bet he pays close to nothing to attend Duquesne because the staff was able to convince whichever administration to shovel over a few more dollars. The scholarship game is always something Duquesne has played and I can see the Dukes keeping Dimichele in this scenario to leave a conventional athletic scholarship open. Same conversation goes for Bronny as I have seen discussions explaining he doesn't even really need a scholarship because of the money he comes from and NIL he will pull in. Also don't know how you can say Necas will be the odd man out after what he did for us in March. That kid is a silent killer and budding star.

Last edited by BluffHunter (5/07/2024 11:11 am)

5/07/2024 11:13 am  #10

MikeR wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I think the guys who will sit on the bench are the ones who can't learn or play defense. 

Dru was given all the credit this year when it came to the defensive success. Your comment is correct. Coach will hammer the expectations of what it will take to play for his team into these guys. If you won't play hard enough on D the next man up will.

5/07/2024 11:31 am  #11

El Presidente wrote:

First, I want the Dukes to win. Whomever is on the floor to make that happen is fine with me. I can see the possibility of Jake and Matus playing subordinate roles this coming season but not sure that I see Necas in that category. The guy has too much upside for me to see him riding the bench very much. Of course, only time will tell. Necas could be a tough matchup for lots of players with his height and inside strength and his ability to step out and make 3's consistently. Looked like a player to me his freshman year. Again, time will tell. GO DUKES!!

Since we are going in the who will play more based on last year’s performances barring major summer improvements Barre and Hronsky will see minimal minutes and I think Aekins is a candidate for a redshirt!
Jake will see time but starter probably not.
Let’s just get the best team out there that plays good D and team ball!

5/07/2024 11:35 am  #12

Motor wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Since we are going in the who will play more based on last year’s performances barring major summer improvements Barre and Hronsky will see minimal minutes and I think Aekins is a candidate for a redshirt!
Jake will see time but starter probably not.
Let’s just get the best team out there that plays good D and team ball!

In the end, that's all that really matters. 
Love DJ3's recruiting!!
Let's get another splash player, hopefully a big.

5/07/2024 12:01 pm  #13

BluffHunter wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

If what you heard is true, then Jake is on the same deal as last year. When KD was on the 3 Bid League podcast he described that Jake was a 4.0 high school student and was able to receive some pretty hefty funds for the academic success. I bet he pays close to nothing to attend Duquesne because the staff was able to convince whichever administration to shovel over a few more dollars. The scholarship game is always something Duquesne has played and I can see the Dukes keeping Dimichele in this scenario to leave a conventional athletic scholarship open. Same conversation goes for Bronny as I have seen discussions explaining he doesn't even really need a scholarship because of the money he comes from and NIL he will pull in. Also don't know how you can say Necas will be the odd man out after what he did for us in March. That kid is a silent killer and budding star.

I don’t think Necas SHOULD be the odd man out. I love the way he developed last year. I’m just looking at who Dru has brought in and a lot of them seem to play where Necas plays.  That’s all. And, with portal players of this caliber, they are not told they can compete for a spot, they are guaranteed minutes.  I’ve seen some chatter on this board that Necas has gotten bigger. Maybe he plays an unconventional 5 spot with Dixon. But look at all the players and their positions - somebody isn’t playing

5/07/2024 12:04 pm  #14

This is our team and I love it.I dont think there are any more scholarships and I cant wait for November.
Necas is something else,this guy is still growing,a 6-9 6-10 guy who does so many things.
 Good outside shot,good passer,good with the ball in his hands ,has guard skills for a big guy and plays 
excellent defense. Im thinking NBA talent.Real excited for him and the team.
 A more stronger physical version of Mickey Davis?

5/07/2024 12:06 pm  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I don’t think Necas SHOULD be the odd man out. I love the way he developed last year. I’m just looking at who Dru has brought in and a lot of them seem to play where Necas plays. That’s all. And, with portal players of this caliber, they are not told they can compete for a spot, they are guaranteed minutes. I’ve seen some chatter on this board that Necas has gotten bigger. Maybe he plays an unconventional 5 spot with Dixon. But look at all the players and their positions - somebody isn’t playing

I'm very interested to see what type of offense they run next year as obviously there is a new HC. I think we'll see a much more NBA style offense and maybe even some 5 man out. I see Necas thriving in whatever he is thrown.

5/07/2024 12:06 pm  #16

I cant wait for November.

5/07/2024 12:10 pm  #17

Necas in 3 years, he could be unreal talent.

5/07/2024 12:12 pm  #18

BluffHunter wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I don’t think Necas SHOULD be the odd man out. I love the way he developed last year. I’m just looking at who Dru has brought in and a lot of them seem to play where Necas plays. That’s all. And, with portal players of this caliber, they are not told they can compete for a spot, they are guaranteed minutes. I’ve seen some chatter on this board that Necas has gotten bigger. Maybe he plays an unconventional 5 spot with Dixon. But look at all the players and their positions - somebody isn’t playing

I'm very interested to see what type of offense they run next year as obviously there is a new HC. I think we'll see a much more NBA style offense and maybe even some 5 man out. I see Necas thriving in whatever he is thrown.

As am I - I also considered the idea that Dru runs a pro style offense.  If you look at the roster construction through that lens, no true PG, no true Big Man, a lot of athletic 6-5 to 6-9 guys that can shoot it makes a lot of sense.  Dru is a young man - I can easily see a modern offense take form.

5/07/2024 12:12 pm  #19

stew wrote:

I cant wait for November.

Me too... but we might as well enjoy the summer!!!

5/07/2024 1:09 pm  #20

Dru has done a terrific job in rebuilding last year's championship team that lost 9 players, including our two top scorers and three others that played significant minutes.  The 5 guys he added no doubt will play, some more than others, and I don't believe he is done recruiting yet. 

Now back to my original post that generated such a strong response.  Any coach worth is pay is constantly trying to bring in better players each year.  Just like in the real world, nothing is guaranteed.  Last year Jake was our starting SF.  He was also one of are better defenders as a freshman with a team filled with 5th year players.  He is still developing and tough as nails.  Will he be able to hold on to his starting job? I think that is to be determined.   Let's put it this way, I would not bet against him.  

5/07/2024 1:55 pm  #21

Styles1229 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

As am I - I also considered the idea that Dru runs a pro style offense.  If you look at the roster construction through that lens, no true PG, no true Big Man, a lot of athletic 6-5 to 6-9 guys that can shoot it makes a lot of sense.  Dru is a young man - I can easily see a modern offense take form.

Well if we get that kind of offense and any semblance of the kind of defense we ran last year it’s almost too good to be true. A10 Beware!🏀

5/07/2024 4:47 pm  #22

I expect Jake to start!  He reminds me of the kind of hard worker TJ was and still is…

5/07/2024 7:52 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

Dru has done a terrific job in rebuilding last year's championship team that lost 9 players, including our two top scorers and three others that played significant minutes.  The 5 guys he added no doubt will play, some more than others, and I don't believe he is done recruiting yet. 

Now back to my original post that generated such a strong response.  Any coach worth is pay is constantly trying to bring in better players each year.  Just like in the real world, nothing is guaranteed.  Last year Jake was our starting SF.  He was also one of are better defenders as a freshman with a team filled with 5th year players.  He is still developing and tough as nails.  Will he be able to hold on to his starting job? I think that is to be determined.   Let's put it this way, I would not bet against him.  

Jake should start, and given an athletic scholarship no matter how much of an academic scholarship he's given. He has earned it. He's a winner and proved it. The Dukes would have never gotten to the dance without him. He, Rozier, Necas, Hronsky, Dixon, and Barre. These guys are the heart of the team. I don't think Coach Joyce will be promising any of the incoming portal transfers more than 20-25 minutes a game. All about winning. As much as I love the incoming five I do  love the returning six even more. They've done it.

Last edited by Rayrich (5/07/2024 8:21 pm)

5/07/2024 8:10 pm  #24

Not many power 5 or 6 schools with this much talent and depth. Coach Joyce knows what he is doing. We have Top 25 written all over this team. Going to make some serious noise next season. This team has a lot of chips on their shoulders, Corbett, Dinkins, Crawford,  Williams, Edwards, Necas, Hronsky, Dimichele, Dixon, Barre, and Rozier. Pretty loaded.

Last edited by Rayrich (5/08/2024 7:16 am)

5/08/2024 7:53 am  #25

Rayrich wrote:

Not many power 5 or 6 schools with this much talent and depth. Coach Joyce knows what he is doing. We have Top 25 written all over this team. Going to make some serious noise next season. This team has a lot of chips on their shoulders, Corbett, Dinkins, Crawford,  Williams, Edwards, Necas, Hronsky, Dimichele, Dixon, Barre, and Rozier. Pretty loaded.

A big advantage to having so much real talent on this team is every practice scrimmage will be as tough as playing top teams. Heck, they should sell tickets to see these kids go head to head in practice this year. LOL.   

Board footera