Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2014 9:58 am  #26

Re: NLI Day

A tweet from former Duke Jim Balog suggesting (based on a hunch) that a big signing is coming:

Jim Balog‏@TheLog40·14 hrs
I feel a big signing coming to Duquesne this week. Call it a BBAlum hunch. @duq_thecrew @DuqUnivAlumni @DukesPepBand @DUQCheer

4/22/2014 1:34 pm  #27

ElDuque wrote:

A tweet from former Duke Jim Balog suggesting (based on a hunch) that a big signing is coming:

Jim Balog‏@TheLog40·14 hrs
I feel a big signing coming to Duquesne this week. Call it a BBAlum hunch. @duq_thecrew @DuqUnivAlumni @DukesPepBand @DUQCheer

ED, this has been a positive week for the Dukes, I know we won't let the negative Nancys ruin it for us. I wonder if Balog knows something, or is just being positive.

GO DUKES!!!!

4/22/2014 5:09 pm  #28

The Log is one of the most positive and optimistic persons that I've ever met regarding Duquesne basketball.  I hope he's right with his hunch.

4/22/2014 7:01 pm  #29

VBC wrote:

The Log is one of the most positive and optimistic persons that I've ever met regarding Duquesne basketball.  I hope he's right with his hunch.

I wish he would post here. We more like him to counteract the gloom and doomers.

4/22/2014 7:30 pm  #30

rittersdiner wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

So this is the type of top-notch recruiting we get from Ferry? Castro gets tossed out of Butler for disciplinary reasons and Ferry, probably feeling the heaqt after last season, makes a desperation move that he can't even use until two years from now. Nice.

That's not an accurate statement.  Castro didn't get "tossed out of Butler", he left on his own accord; to find a better opportunity.  If you read the article from the Butler source, Castro's teammates had nothing negative to say about him.  Certainly losing the connection with the two coaches that recruited him, made Butler a shaky situation for him from the beginning.  When coaches recruit players and leave it is most common for those players to ask for a release before even attending that school.  To his credit, he tried to stick it out and it just wasn't working with the new coach.  Duquesne fans should behappy to get a player with Castro's ability, albeit with the caveat that he must sit out a year.

From Nesbitt's story:
"He was dismissed from a team shootaround Feb. 11, according to the Indianapolis Star, and Butler coach Brandon Miller announced two days later that Castro had been suspended for "a disciplinary issue," his second suspension of the season. "

Ritter, you are entitled to post whatever you want, and to take such a high moral ground if you wish. I can't dispute you, and I can't take the same high ground because frankly, my freshman year at DU went a lot worse than Rene Castro's did at Butler.

I was brought before the Residence Council the first time for throwing someone fully clothed into the showers. The guy never bathed and I plain and simple got tired of the stench and did something about it. The RC gave me a stern warning. A couple weeks later, I started a street hockey game in the halls of 5 St. Martin's, and threw some vicious checks that left body-sized holes in the walls. Couple hundred dollars worth of damage. At that point, RC told me one more incident and I would get kicked out of the dorms.

Later on, I beat up a guy at a party and took his girlfriend away from him. This didn't get to the RC because the girl threatened to kick his butt if I got in trouble.

I have since matured, learned some life lessons, and now behave much better. But I'm still a sinner and therefore cannot join you in casting stones at Castro.

Besides, I was hoping we'd land him last year, and I'm glad we have him now.

Peace.

4/22/2014 9:11 pm  #31

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

That's not an accurate statement.  Castro didn't get "tossed out of Butler", he left on his own accord; to find a better opportunity.  If you read the article from the Butler source, Castro's teammates had nothing negative to say about him.  Certainly losing the connection with the two coaches that recruited him, made Butler a shaky situation for him from the beginning.  When coaches recruit players and leave it is most common for those players to ask for a release before even attending that school.  To his credit, he tried to stick it out and it just wasn't working with the new coach.  Duquesne fans should behappy to get a player with Castro's ability, albeit with the caveat that he must sit out a year.

From Nesbitt's story:
"He was dismissed from a team shootaround Feb. 11, according to the Indianapolis Star, and Butler coach Brandon Miller announced two days later that Castro had been suspended for "a disciplinary issue," his second suspension of the season. "

Ritter, you are entitled to post whatever you want, and to take such a high moral ground if you wish. I can't dispute you, and I can't take the same high ground because frankly, my freshman year at DU went a lot worse than Rene Castro's did at Butler.

I was brought before the Residence Council the first time for throwing someone fully clothed into the showers. The guy never bathed and I plain and simple got tired of the stench and did something about it. The RC gave me a stern warning. A couple weeks later, I started a street hockey game in the halls of 5 St. Martin's, and threw some vicious checks that left body-sized holes in the walls. Couple hundred dollars worth of damage. At that point, RC told me one more incident and I would get kicked out of the dorms.

Later on, I beat up a guy at a party and took his girlfriend away from him. This didn't get to the RC because the girl threatened to kick his butt if I got in trouble.

I have since matured, learned some life lessons, and now behave much better. But I'm still a sinner and therefore cannot join you in casting stones at Castro.

Peace.

Post of the year!
It's funny, certain people complained that Ferry didn't land his top target last year. Suddenly, that top target (and yeah, he was number one above both Severe and Notice) lands on the Bluff, and these guys are looking the gift horse in the mouth, and complaining that he has a cavity. Nothing will satisfy these guys except a return to the Nee years, so that the AD will get fired. These guys have been so negative, how will they be able to come here and pretend to be happy when the winning starts?

4/23/2014 11:00 am  #32

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

From Nesbitt's story:

Peace.

Duque,
This is some of your best work, totally enjoyable and gets to the point!  Nice work!

4/23/2014 11:19 am  #33

It's all true. Nothing fabricated. Both times I got to the RC board, it was the RA on the floor below me who turned me in. Guy was a real <rhymes with Pitt>-head.

4/24/2014 6:43 am  #34

levon1975 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

From Nesbitt's story:

Peace.

Duque,
This is some of your best work, totally enjoyable and gets to the point!  Nice work!

First, I'm not taking a high moral ground, just pointing out the desperation of a coach knowing the program is failing. Your example is a good one about maturity. But I am wondering if this is what the administration had in mind about recruiting when hiring Ferry. Castro has to sit a year and, for the record, he was thrown out of practice and suspended twice. Maybe he works out, or gets thrown out. Either way it's an act of desperation.

4/24/2014 10:52 am  #35

I never did it to anyone who did not deserve it. Mulder, I think you and I would have been buddies so you would have been safe.

4/25/2014 6:48 am  #36

I also wonder about the fact Castro has to sit for a year. When you get a couple of people in who have to sit, then you tend to have fans looking down the road a little and giving a little more leeway if the team is not that good next season. And that at least gives the coach a little more security because people are thinking "Well, when so-and-so gets here next season, look out." Just a thought.

4/25/2014 6:56 am  #37

rittersdiner wrote:

I also wonder about the fact Castro has to sit for a year. When you get a couple of people in who have to sit, then you tend to have fans looking down the road a little and giving a little more leeway if the team is not that good next season. And that at least gives the coach a little more security because people are thinking "Well, when so-and-so gets here next season, look out." Just a thought.

In this case, I don't think it matters much. I think those who were realistic pointed towards 2015-16 as the year when Ferry's regime needs to bear some fruit. Not saying we need to go 27-5, but I would think something in the neighborhood of Aaron Jackson's senior year would be a reasonable expectation.

4/25/2014 7:04 am  #38

"An act of desperation"...on Ferry's part?  Are you kidding?  80% of the Div. I BB coaches are in the same situation.  Nearly every coach that takes over a program (struggling or otherwise) is in exactly the same position as JF.  Unless your Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky, and 4 Star recruits are lined up at your door every year, most others are in basically the same boat.  How'd Butler do once Brad Stevens left?  You think their coach wouldn't gladly accept a talented kid transferring from another "national" program...How 'bout Tom Crean?  You think he wouldn't?  You really let your disdain for GA, JF, and perhaps the whole program cloud your perception of reality.  They're not desperate...it's 100% the nature of the job.

4/25/2014 11:33 am  #39

Did Eric James sign?  I thought this was supposed to happen yesterday?   I can't find any announcement.

4/25/2014 12:05 pm  #40

duqkurt wrote:

Did Eric James sign? I thought this was supposed to happen yesterday? I can't find any announcement.

He just did.  Here's the announcement.
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042514aaa.html

4/25/2014 12:21 pm  #41

Thanks for the update VBC. I was just about to post this.

While you certainly can't grade a class until the kids actually play, we have added two kids who have the potential to be scorers and another kid who adds height. Plus we have one scholarship to give.

4/25/2014 2:00 pm  #42

Let's not forget that 6'8" Jordan Robinson adds to the mix.  Every one of these recruits-current and Robinson- are consensus 3-star or higher rated players.  The Dukes got a lot better this week.  Don't be surprised if a Dominique McKoy type 6'7" or 6'8" PF JUCO is added as the final recruit.

Last edited by grammudder (4/25/2014 2:03 pm)

4/25/2014 2:42 pm  #43

You may be right about another big guy, but ideally I would like to see a legitimate point guard who can step right in and give us some minutes along with our present guards.

4/25/2014 2:57 pm  #44

I'll go one up on you levon. I'd like to see a PG who can come in and take everyone's lunch. To win in the A-10, we need a stud at the position, not an average player or someone tryong to learn the position.

4/25/2014 2:57 pm  #45

duq81 wrote:

VBC wrote:

I wish he would post here. We more like him to counteract the gloom and doomers.

Amen to that '81..

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/25/2014 8:20 pm  #46

Thanks for posting the annoucement link.

4/27/2014 8:19 am  #47

We need a point guard..........................

4/27/2014 2:35 pm  #48

FAM wrote:

We need a point guard..........................

I think one was visiting this weekend.

4/27/2014 5:22 pm  #49

Jordan Stevens the visiting PG from SE Iowa CC was offered by Duquesne over the weekend per the Wisconsin Milwaukee message board. 

4/27/2014 7:16 pm  #50

For what it's worth Stevens was a 1st team NJCAA All=American and Trey Dickerson who we were after coming out of high school was on the 3rd team.

Board footera