Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2016 4:27 pm  #26

Re: Dayton

applecorps wrote:

The officiating is dreadful.

So is DC.

I understand that DC thinks he needs to take over the game because everyone else looks confused, but dear lord, Powell and Lewis score 70% of the time they get touches down low!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/02/2016 4:36 pm  #27

I hope Micah is a quick healer.

1/02/2016 4:40 pm  #28

Not happy with the lose at all. As a program playing the #1 with two seniors out and hanging in there kind of feels good but i just can't be happy with the amount of turn overs.

Young guys look good, as I said LG need to stop shooting and take it to the rack. Feed them bigs more. 

Great defensive game, with mason coming back hopefully our offensive possessions look better. 

Also why does it look like we barely run plays? Only 2-3 passes before an iso game. 

Finally....worse take away from the game was the piss poor student section. Don't care if we are on break, half the school is from pittsburgh.  

Roll Dukes Roll

1/02/2016 4:45 pm  #29

It's too bad Colter had what might be the worst game of his career.  Dayton was horrible and could have been beaten today. If the Dukes hope to have a decent season, they have to win games like this--lost opportunity.

1/02/2016 4:47 pm  #30

1. Wow, 11 of 13 from the stripe in the first half. How un Duquesne-like! But then there was that stretch in the middle of the second where they went something like 1-6 when they could have but the lead to one score.

2.  With five minutes to play in the first half I observed:  If Dayton could hit 3s they would be up by 20. If the Dukes could make layups they would be up by 10.

3. Note  to Darius Lewis:  Dude, you are 6' 11" you don't need to put it on the floor every single time you get it above your shoulders in the paint. Go to the Hole!!!!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/02/2016 4:53 pm  #31

Super ugly game of basketball, however something awesome happened. After he missed the wide open dunk  I began to pick on their 7 footer Steve Mcelvain super hard in the second half. I was in the student section right by their bench and basically just screamed steevveeee and you suck Steve for the entire second half. People that were there probably heard me. My buddy and I thought we were getting in his head. He kept turning the ball over and picked up two quick fouls when he came in in the second and he kept looking over. Anyway, when he fouled out he walked to the end of the bench toward the trainers and threw me a solid middle finger. This confirmed I affected his second half performance which was almost as good as a w. Probably would have won this one with mason, colter knew he had to do more and tried to do way too much

1/02/2016 4:58 pm  #32

Nobody really won that game.  Dayton was bad and Duquesne was even worse.  Two games in a row Colter has had really bad shooting nights, and a turnover machine.  I know they played him tight, but got to wonder what is going on with him?  Fatigue, sick, hurting?  We need him and Gill to get back on track.

By the way the uncontested point blank missed layup by Steel made the folks in Vegas  happy.

1/02/2016 5:39 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

Nobody really won that game.  Dayton was bad and Duquesne was even worse.  Two games in a row Colter has had really bad shooting nights, and a turnover machine.  I know they played him tight, but got to wonder what is going on with him?  Fatigue, sick, hurting?  We need him and Gill to get back on track.

By the way the uncontested point blank missed layup by Steel made the folks in Vegas  happy.

Might not of made the bookies happy. I would think more money was on Dayton.

1/02/2016 7:06 pm  #34

Colter had 8 turnovers, 3 assists, and was 2-12 and 0-4 three pointers.  Gill was 1-6 and 0-2.  Steel was the only one that hit a trey (he had two).  On the flip side the Dukes outrebounded Dayton 44-39.  James had 12 rebounds.  Dayton only made 3 -25 three pointers, most were wide open.  You won't see many teams shoot that badly and still win.

Box Score

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/14duqday.html

1/02/2016 7:18 pm  #35

It was an awful exhibition of basketball by both teams.  Each did plenty of things to lose the game but the shorthanded Dukes played a little worse today.  For Dayton to play the way they did and get a conference road win is hardly believable.

1/02/2016 10:29 pm  #36

If Rene Castro was 50% of the player that I thought he would be, the Dukes might have pulled this one out. Ferry had no other point guard option other than Colter, who just had a miserable game. DC looks like he has nothing left in the tank over the past couple of games; hope he gets his second wind soon.

I know there has to be some sort of story with Castro. It's rare that a guard, rated 3 star coming out of prep school, looks so out of place and overmatched in college. To me at this point, it's not rust.

1/02/2016 11:11 pm  #37

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If Rene Castro was 50% of the player that I thought he would be, the Dukes might have pulled this one out. Ferry had no other point guard option other than Colter, who just had a miserable game. DC looks like he has nothing left in the tank over the past couple of games; hope he gets his second wind soon.

I know there has to be some sort of story with Castro. It's rare that a guard, rated 3 star coming out of prep school, looks so out of place and overmatched in college. To me at this point, it's not rust.

I remember people talking about him scoring like 52 points a game in the summer league or some such nonsense.  I realize they don't play defense in those games, but come on.  Also, without Mason, our only outside shooter is Steele.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/03/2016 12:11 am  #38

Simms wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I remember people talking about him scoring like 52 points a game in the summer league or some such nonsense.  I realize they don't play defense in those games, but come on.  Also, without Mason, our only outside shooter is Steele.  

He did score 52 points in a game at Greentree. They don't play much defense in the summer league, but still. This isn't like Stevens last year, where it quickly became apparent that his lack of size would prevent him from doing the things he did in JC. Stevens was still explosive, he just had trouble dealing with the bigger defenders at this level. Castro looks like he would struggle at the D2 level. He has a weak handle, and he's not explosive at all. It's hard to believe that he was a three star player in high school, but then, so was Jon Severe, and he's been underwhelming at Fordham.

1/03/2016 1:43 am  #39

Simms wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Time for Jackson to rise!!!

Roll Dukes Roll

1/03/2016 10:16 am  #40

We are getting better as a program. I can tell because we're losing by fewer points.

1/03/2016 12:13 pm  #41

Your right ritters. The fact that we were down our best player and stayed close to an ncaa tourney team and one of the top tier teams in the conference shows improvement. There was a combination of great defense played and a lack of shotmaking by Dayton. Guys are going to have to step up the rest of this year and next. One of my concerns has always been the issue of who can step up and score once these guys leave next year and yesterday also shows that colter greatly benefits from the presence of another scorer probably because of his size. We looked lost offensively without his leadership but it was definitely a strong defensive performance

1/03/2016 12:58 pm  #42

CLK wrote:

Colter had 8 turnovers, 3 assists, and was 2-12 and 0-4 three pointers.  Gill was 1-6 and 0-2.  Steel was the only one that hit a trey (he had two).  On the flip side the Dukes outrebounded Dayton 44-39.  James had 12 rebounds.  Dayton only made 3 -25 three pointers, most were wide open.  You won't see many teams shoot that badly and still win.

Box Score

The ones that were open went in. Just 3 of them. Majority were hotly contested. Even my wife who knows next to nothing about strategy even commented how tough it was for Dayton to get a clean open 3 ball look.

1/03/2016 1:02 pm  #43

rittersdiner wrote:

We are getting better as a program. I can tell because we're losing by fewer points.

I guess Michigan State stinks too. Take away 2 of your 3 top scorers against the best defensive team in our league and see who can win that game.

Only criticism I had of the game was I'd have stuck with Lewis in the first half. Not one person on this board hs given Ferry credit for developing him.  He was the only reason we didn't lose by 20.

1/03/2016 2:31 pm  #44

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

Box Score

The ones that were open went in. Just 3 of them. Majority were hotly contested. Even my wife who knows next to nothing about strategy even commented how tough it was for Dayton to get a clean open 3 ball look.

With all due respect to you and your wife, I watched the game again and just about all of the missed treys were wide open with our guys running out late.  Most teams would have killed us with those looks.  Maybe you and your wife were watching a different game.

Last edited by CLK (1/03/2016 2:44 pm)

1/03/2016 5:32 pm  #45

Now that I think about it, If we had Jerry Jones and Micah mason playing in that game it would have been a victory for us. Let's keep our confidence high as we roll into the next two games.

Roll Dukes Roll

1/03/2016 6:28 pm  #46

CLK wrote:

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

Box Score

With all due respect to you and your wife, I watched the game again and just about all of the missed treys were wide open with our guys running out late.  Most teams would have killed us with those looks.  Maybe you and your wife were watching a different game.

We were at the game.

Getting a hand up while a guy is shooting is not a wide open look.

I can remember quite a few times that Eric James was all over their players shooting threes. 

No one will give Ferry credit for defense I get it. 

You just gave up 66 against the top team in the league. But wait, it was because dayton stunk.

1/03/2016 6:50 pm  #47

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

WEB wrote:

We were at the game.

Getting a hand up while a guy is shooting is not a wide open look.

I can remember quite a few times that Eric James was all over their players shooting threes.

No one will give Ferry credit for defense I get it.

You just gave up 66 against the top team in the league. But wait, it was because dayton stunk.

I am not going to waste my time arguing with you.  I have the game recorded and after your condesending comment I went back and looked at each and every three point shot Dayton took.  You can believe what you want, I'll trust my own eyes.  Running out late with your hands up, after the ball has been shot, out of reach, and on its way is not good defense.  In your face and blocking the three point shots like Dayton did to Gill and Colter was.  Dayton had good wide open looks but simply shot very poorly.  If the Dukes give those types of looks to Davidson we will get crushed.   

Last edited by CLK (1/03/2016 8:12 pm)

1/04/2016 10:33 am  #48

CLK, I think I watched the same game as you did (both in person and on my DVR).  More than half of the 3 point attempts were uncontested. But I think if Dayton hit a couple of those early ones, I think the Dukes would have become more aggressive in contesting the 3 pointers. Also, I think the Dukes are better equipped to guard the 3 pointer with Mason out of the line up; I think they are quicker and taller with James and Steel in there to challenge outside shooters.  And they are going to have to defend the 3 against Davidson or your prediction will come true.

WEB, it was a fine defensive effort in limiting Dayton to 66 points. Statistically, it was their 3rd best game as far in terms of defensive efficiency (Penn St. and Robert Morris being better).

With or without Mason, the Dukes need to get more offensively from LG Gill - he is really hurting them.  Over the past 5 games, Gill has averaged 30 minutes on the floor, shooting 30% from the field, good for 6.2 points per game and 5.0 rebounds.

1/04/2016 2:28 pm  #49

CLK , as you already said, you're wasting your time trying to be objective with WEB about Jim Ferry's coaching and the progress of the program under Jim Ferry. Certainly, there has been progress. What remains to be seen is if Jim Ferry is the "next level coach" that Greg Amodio labeled him when, in my opinion, he purposely added insult to injury in the firing of Ron Everhart. WEB is shameless in his compliments of Ferry such as the one you are challenging in this thread and several other threads he originated or posted in during the past several weeks - " Dukes face adversity, Ferry's recruiting depth will help with the loss of .... Jeremiah Jones. " ;" Ferry improves the season to 10-2." (I thought the players improved the season to 10-2). WEB is constantly touting the coaching of Jim Ferry - I assume to justify his campaigning to get Ron Everhart fired.

Last edited by Westender (1/04/2016 2:29 pm)

1/04/2016 3:10 pm  #50

CLK I swore not to  be bothered posting again but between WEB and Grammy the cheerleading must stop. Yes there has been improvement but let's be realistic. The Dukes are playing a schedule ranked 231st by ESPN only 1 other team in the A-10 is playing an easier schedule and that's Fordham. I'm tired of the if's and but's that are stated after every game. Each of the last two games where more than winnable. Look at the numbers statistically for the past 3 games and justify the playing time being given to Gill and Colter. While building that 10-3 record many of us complained about the minutes the starters where putting in. Dayton played 11 guys only 2 of which played more than 30 minutes, 2 of those where Freshman.

Board footera