Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2022 9:55 am  #1

Rhode Island gets the Dukes in A10 Tourney

https://atlantic10.com/sports/2019/8/28/211810221.aspx

3:30pm on Wednesday.
At least we can’t lose 25 games this season.

3/06/2022 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Rhode Island gets the Dukes in A10 Tourney

Early line - Rhode Island by 9.

3/06/2022 1:30 pm  #3

Is that because 2 games were cancelled?
I know HIma didn't score much yesterday but he made a difference on defence and was strong on some rebounds.  The zone also looked successful at times when they used it.

Last edited by FAM (3/06/2022 3:31 pm)

3/06/2022 1:41 pm  #4

Unlike yesterdays game against that dynasty of a program Lasalle Fan Duel did not have a line on the game. Hopefully, Fan Duel picks up the RI game. March madness begins very strange no Dukes on the betting board.

3/06/2022 2:29 pm  #5

FAM wrote:

I know HIma didn't score much yesterday but he made a difference on defemce and was strong on some rebounds.  The zone also looked successful at times when they used it.

Actually FAM I felt just the opposite on Hima’s game yesterday.  I thought he had little impact; especially since he allowed numerous  layups from smaller guards while he was playing.  Several times I expected him to put those attempted layups into Row 6; but nothing; just a layup and score.  In general he seemed hesitant to help and move into a shot blocking position.  By the time he got to the man it was too late.  By contrast in the first half he went too far out of the paint to help on a guy who was tryouts no to back somebody in; and ended up seeing his s man waltz in for a dunk! 
As for the zone it was a desperation move, since the M-to-M was just getting torched.  The change up got them I think 2-3 stops until LaSalle had a guy flash into the foul line and reverse the ball through the middle for wide-open 3’s.  They carved up the zone after that point.  So, I agree with the Change-up to give them a new look; but not a long-term answer.  Guys just need to learn the “man” concepts which they still don’t seem to understand.  Defensive rotations are still awful; especially by a few guys.  Easley made some good rotations yesterday and was rewarded with a steal.  IDK if some guys will ever get it!

Last edited by levon1975 (3/06/2022 3:47 pm)

3/06/2022 2:50 pm  #6

So the Rams will be our first victim?

Go Dukes!!!

3/06/2022 7:14 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

FAM wrote:

I know HIma didn't score much yesterday but he made a difference on defemce and was strong on some rebounds.  The zone also looked successful at times when they used it.

Actually FAM I felt just the opposite on Hima’s game yesterday. I thought he had little impact; especially since he allowed numerous layups from smaller guards while he was playing. Several times I expected him to put those attempted layups into Row 6; but nothing; just a layup and score. In general he seemed hesitant to help and move into a shot blocking position. By the time he got to the man it was too late. By contrast in the first half he went too far out of the paint to help on a guy who was tryouts no to back somebody in; and ended up seeing his s man waltz in for a dunk!
As for the zone it was a desperation move, since the M-to-M was just getting torched. The change up got them I think 2-3 stops until LaSalle had a guy flash into the foul line and reverse the ball through the middle for wide-open 3’s. They carved up the zone after that point. So, I agree with the Change-up to give them a new look; but not a long-term answer. Guys just need to learn the “man” concepts which they still don’t seem to understand. Defensive rotations are still awful; especially by a few guys. Easley made some good rotations yesterday and was rewarded with a steal. IDK if some guys will ever get it!

LaSalle shot the lights out on the perimeter and ended the game early on transition points, that's not Hima's fault.    He sat on the bench half the game and things didn't run much different. KD just can't stop telling everyone Hima's only been in the game for 4 years, so with this season shot, why not play him. He is going to make mistakes but when he does make a play it's because of his superior height and he can only get experience playing. So play him.  Just a compairison,  Hima had 5 rebounds in 19 minute and 2 blocks, and Easlry had 6 in 30 minutes and 1 block. Size matters.. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/06/2022 7:26 pm)

3/07/2022 9:23 am  #8

Napa Duke dead on! Dambrots post game noting 4 years of basketball experience is why Hima should have been playing 25-30 minutes over the last couple of weeks. Unless Dambrot is aware of a pending transfer his refusal to increase Himas playing time makes no sense for the future of this program.

3/07/2022 12:34 pm  #9

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Actually FAM I felt just the opposite on Hima’s game yesterday. I thought he had little impact; especially since he allowed numerous layups from smaller guards while he was playing. Several times I expected him to put those attempted layups into Row 6; but nothing; just a layup and score. In general he seemed hesitant to help and move into a shot blocking position. By the time he got to the man it was too late. By contrast in the first half he went too far out of the paint to help on a guy who was tryouts no to back somebody in; and ended up seeing his s man waltz in for a dunk!
As for the zone it was a desperation move, since the M-to-M was just getting torched. The change up got them I think 2-3 stops until LaSalle had a guy flash into the foul line and reverse the ball through the middle for wide-open 3’s. They carved up the zone after that point. So, I agree with the Change-up to give them a new look; but not a long-term answer. Guys just need to learn the “man” concepts which they still don’t seem to understand. Defensive rotations are still awful; especially by a few guys. Easley made some good rotations yesterday and was rewarded with a steal. IDK if some guys will ever get it!

LaSalle shot the lights out on the perimeter and ended the game early on transition points, that's not Hima's fault.    He sat on the bench half the game and things didn't run much different. KD just can't stop telling everyone Hima's only been in the game for 4 years, so with this season shot, why not play him. He is going to make mistakes but when he does make a play it's because of his superior height and he can only get experience playing. So play him.  Just a compairison,  Hima had 5 rebounds in 19 minute and 2 blocks, and Easlry had 6 in 30 minutes and 1 block. Size matters.. 

I disagree, I was at the game, and watched LaSalle score regularly on layups while Hima was in the game, and these were often scored by small guards getting to the hoop.  Our guards were obviously beaten initially or picked to create the opening but as I said, I expected Hima to block several of those layups because he should have helped and could easily have made the blocks; so to reiterate it was NOT a good game for HIMA!  I'm not saying that he shouldn't get playing time, but from what I have seen from his performances his PT is about right.  Easley is  obviously playing out of position, but is a far more advanced player than Hima at this point, and I don't think anyone could argue that point.  I know you are a big Hima fan, but he isn't ready to assume more responsibility.  He is at best a spot player.  If he shows improvement in his 20 minutes per game, then he will likely play more.  Keep in mind this team has such a dearth of players that seem to understand the defensive end of the court  that having Hima learn on the job just makes it difficult on everyone.  

3/07/2022 1:47 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I disagree, I was at the game, and watched LaSalle score regularly on layups while Hima was in the game, and these were often scored by small guards getting to the hoop.  Our guards were obviously beaten initially or picked to create the opening but as I said, I expected Hima to block several of those layups because he should have helped and could easily have made the blocks; so to reiterate it was NOT a good game for HIMA!  I'm not saying that he shouldn't get playing time, but from what I have seen from his performances his PT is about right.  Easley is  obviously playing out of position, but is a far more advanced player than Hima at this point, and I don't think anyone could argue that point.  I know you are a big Hima fan, but he isn't ready to assume more responsibility.  He is at best a spot player.  If he shows improvement in his 20 minutes per game, then he will likely play more.  Keep in mind this team has such a dearth of players that seem to understand the defensive end of the court  that having Hima learn on the job just makes it difficult on everyone.  

Your right, he could have done more, but with this season more that over, play him 30 plus minutes is next game is  valuable experience for him to develop.  With or without him, this team isn't winning. I disagree that Hima is a spot player on such a short team.  Against Davidson he pulled down 10 rebounds and shot over their 6'10" center. That shows potential.  We got beat all over the court this game and everyone on the court except Hima has played this game since they were in  grade-school.  What he brings to the game can't be taught, but his inexperience can only be overcome by experience.  

3/07/2022 1:48 pm  #11

The fans in R.I. are not happy with their coach either!!  They were used to winning.  Here's hoping the players mentally don't show up when they play Duquesne...and if we show up we have a chance.

3/07/2022 2:00 pm  #12

My two cents regarding Hima. This season is shot and has been for some time. I feel the pros far exceed the cons to Hima getting more playing time. Pros, we need an athletic 6’11” center, he needed to learn the game on the job, so they can explain to him what he is doing wrong on game film. Does it really matter if he makes mistakes, was it going to cost us a win ? Is Larson in our future ? What are the negatives to Hima learning on the job ?

3/07/2022 2:39 pm  #13

Anyone know what time the Duquesne-Richmond game tips off on Thursday?

3/07/2022 2:51 pm  #14

Larson has the A10 tourn left in his career.   So I hope he isnt the future!   :-)))

I think Hima has learned a lot in the past month.   Remember, had Rotroff and Williams not got hurt, he'd never really have played.   I think everyone has seen what he can do, and what he needs work on.   That to me, in this lost season, is progress.

That being said, I would have liked him to get some minutes in the 3 OT game last week.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/07/2022 2:53 pm)

3/07/2022 2:57 pm  #15

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Your right, he could have done more, but with this season more that over, play him 30 plus minutes is next game is  valuable experience for him to develop.  With or without him, this team isn't winning. I disagree that Hima is a spot player on such a short team.  Against Davidson he pulled down 10 rebounds and shot over their 6'10" center. That shows potential.  We got beat all over the court this game and everyone on the court except Hima has played this game since they were in  grade-school.  What he brings to the game can't be taught, but his inexperience can only be overcome by experience.  

Styles make the match!  Some teams play faster than Davidson, and their bigs may be a  bit quicker.  I'm not being critical of Hima; I like having a 6'10" guy on the floor whenever it makes sense; but he has a lot to learn, and it will depend a lot on how much he can process in a short time.  He has to get to the point where things happen instinctively for him.  I mean guys that have played basketball since they were walking have trouble processing defense at this level. It's not easy and things happen fast.  If he gets into a game and is playing well; I'm sure the coaches will let him go longer than 20 minutes. He is learning, so sometimes as a coach you teach by playing him for short periods, and then discussing what went right and wrong, while its still fresh in his mind.  He should be watching a lot of film as well; especially of guys who know how to play his position.  Perhaps some St Bonnie film with Osunnyi would help!  

Last edited by levon1975 (3/07/2022 3:00 pm)

3/07/2022 3:07 pm  #16

Wildwood13 wrote:

My two cents regarding Hima. This season is shot and has been for some time. I feel the pros far exceed the cons to Hima getting more playing time. Pros, we need an athletic 6’11” center, he needed to learn the game on the job, so they can explain to him what he is doing wrong on game film. Does it really matter if he makes mistakes, was it going to cost us a win ? Is Larson in our future ? What are the negatives to Hima learning on the job ?

Exactly. Remember Nicholson at St. B. He looked a lot like Hima early on. He was easy to beat the first two years, but Mark Scmidt keep him in there, then his last 2 years, he was a force and won the A-10. and was the A-10 MVP.  He was the first round pick for Orlando in the NBA draft.  Remember, he didn't start that way 4 years earlier. But if he was sitting on our bench for 4 years as a spot player, just were would he be? Nowhere. And St. Bonaventure's BB program has been on top of the A-10 since Nicholson.   And the Milwaukee Bucks signed the "Greek Freak" Giannis Antetokounmpo, with about the same game experience as Hima even though he knew about as much about basketball as Hima. They took a very long chance, it was almost silly that they did it, but it payed off. Milwaukee won the NBA championship on that long shot.  Bottom line, give this kid a chance. KD gets behind him and centers the game around him next year, then KD could likely accomplish what he promised coming here, it comes down to this, you don't win the A-10 with a  6'7" center.  You win it with a full time 6'11" center period.

3/07/2022 3:31 pm  #17

Dambrot had many opportunities to use Hima more than he did. He only started to play him more when Williams went down, just out of necessity. One of the many reasons why I am not a Dambrot fan. We have Dambrot for at least another year, so I really have not been watching the team that closely. But it only makes sense when going thru a season like this, you do everything you can to build a future. But yet, Dambrot doesn’t see it that way, by evidence of how he is using and  not improving Hima. I have been Dambrots first and biggest critic on this board. But as long as he is here, I will be watching very little and hoping for the best, which I do not think will be much. The fans in the stands and on this board seem like they are losing interest as well. That postgame interview that CLK posted was horrendous in many ways. Especially when he said he competed for championships. In five years here he was nowhere near competing for a championship. The reality is we secured last place by a whopping 4 games in Year 5. Year 6 looks not even a bit more promising than this year.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (3/07/2022 3:32 pm)

3/07/2022 4:18 pm  #18

Wildwood13 wrote:

Dambrot had many opportunities to use Hima more than he did. He only started to play him more when Williams went down, just out of necessity. One of the many reasons why I am not a Dambrot fan. We have Dambrot for at least another year, so I really have not been watching the team that closely. But it only makes sense when going thru a season like this, you do everything you can to build a future. But yet, Dambrot doesn’t see it that way, by evidence of how he is using and not improving Hima. I have been Dambrots first and biggest critic on this board. But as long as he is here, I will be watching very little and hoping for the best, which I do not think will be much. The fans in the stands and on this board seem like they are losing interest as well. That postgame interview that CLK posted was horrendous in many ways. Especially when he said he competed for championships. In five years here he was nowhere near competing for a championship. The reality is we secured last place by a whopping 4 games in Year 5. Year 6 looks not even a bit more promising than this year.

KD's post game interview's tell you how little he  knows about coaching college basketball. He blames his players, even though they are a bunch of freshman. That's the first clue, he's not here to develop player, just put them in and win or lose, whatever. He doesn't tell you what he did to prepare for each opponent ? Nothing. He doesn't seem to know what the opponent did to adjust to play his team?  KD's teams are being out-coached and well scouted every  game, every year he has been here. Ferry was no better. How do these guys get from lower schools, then we end up with them, over paying for losers?

3/07/2022 6:44 pm  #19

levon1975 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Styles make the match!  Some teams play faster than Davidson, and their bigs may be a  bit quicker.  I'm not being critical of Hima; I like having a 6'10" guy on the floor whenever it makes sense; but he has a lot to learn, and it will depend a lot on how much he can process in a short time.  He has to get to the point where things happen instinctively for him.  I mean guys that have played basketball since they were walking have trouble processing defense at this level. It's not easy and things happen fast.  If he gets into a game and is playing well; I'm sure the coaches will let him go longer than 20 minutes. He is learning, so sometimes as a coach you teach by playing him for short periods, and then discussing what went right and wrong, while its still fresh in his mind.  He should be watching a lot of film as well; especially of guys who know how to play his position.  Perhaps some St Bonnie film with Osunnyi would help!  

Film helps a lot. Great point. He can learn on the court but short of that. game film can help too.

3/07/2022 7:26 pm  #20

levon1975 wrote:

FAM wrote:

This is weird. I seem to be disagreeing with levon1975 a lot lately.

I thought Hima positively influenced DU's defense a dozen or more times in the Lasalle game. I do recall at least 2 of the instances that levon cited when Hima did not block shots while giving help on guards that has roasted DU's coverage but I thought that he remained vertical & challenged while avoiding early foul trouble. I saw that as a sign of progress for him

Opinions vary.

Last edited by phil95 (3/07/2022 7:42 pm)

3/07/2022 7:42 pm  #21

1. Hima is not in his 3rd or 4th year of organized basketball. That is a complete fabrication that KD knowingly spreads. This at least year 6 for him but most likely year 7 & possibly year 8. His last 2 seasons in high school he played for an outstanding program with a reputation for excellent coaching & a history of sending international big men to Div. I schools. Before that he was at another NJ high school with a pretty good reputation for basketball. He also played two summers for top level AAU teams. He has an older brother that also plays division I basketball. He had serious recruiting interest from the best A-10 schools & better.

I list these facts because I am tired of announcers & KD acting like Hima was recently plucked out of obscurity from the wilds of Niger, is brand new to the game, & coach intentionally brought him along slowly because he is such a project. 

That is not the case. KD simply failed to play him early in the the year. It cost the team this year while putting the player's development behind for subsequent years. Anybody that has watched Hima play over the last 3 weeks can see that he is improving at a fine pace & needs as many minutes as he can get on this train wreck of a team.

2. Hima as a freshman/sophomore as compared to Nicholson is apples to oranges. As a freshman Nicholson played every game, averaged 12.5 points, 6 rebounds, & 2.7 blocks while playing 25 minutes & shooting better than 60% from the field. Posters may recall he was awesome against the Dukes both times they played that year. (18-8-3 shooting .875 in game 1 & 29-12-6 shooting .722 in game 2) He was A-10 Rookie of the Week 6 times, was A-10 Rookie of the Year, & made some freshman All-American teams.

Sorry Napa, Nicholson looked nothing like Hima early on. Aside from the obvious differences in results, Nicholson was/is shorter, less athletic, not as long, & had a goodly amount more bulk as a 19-year-old freshman than Hima has as a nearly 21-year-old redshirt freshman.

I am a lifelong Bonnie fan & Olean native. Even so, I always root for the Dukes when they play the Bonnies. I recall being very disappointed when Nicholson committed to SBU over Duquesne. That disappointment turned to deep frustration while Nicholson destroyed the Dukes for 4 years. 

3. MOUNIR, PLEASE STAY!!!!!!

Last edited by phil95 (3/07/2022 7:56 pm)

3/07/2022 8:44 pm  #22

Dambrot will continue with his ways in regard to Hima. Do you really think it’s going to change next year with the new recruits. As Dr. Evil said “ one million dollars”. Oh yeah times two. Duquesne as a private Catholic institution can’t afford such a financial hit. But then again it’s Duquesne. Very sad.

3/08/2022 10:29 am  #23

phil95 wrote:

1. Hima is not in his 3rd or 4th year of organized basketball. That is a complete fabrication that KD knowingly spreads. This at least year 6 for him but most likely year 7 & possibly year 8. His last 2 seasons in high school he played for an outstanding program with a reputation for excellent coaching & a history of sending international big men to Div. I schools. Before that he was at another NJ high school with a pretty good reputation for basketball. He also played two summers for top level AAU teams. He has an older brother that also plays division I basketball. He had serious recruiting interest from the best A-10 schools & better.

I list these facts because I am tired of announcers & KD acting like Hima was recently plucked out of obscurity from the wilds of Niger, is brand new to the game, & coach intentionally brought him along slowly because he is such a project. 

That is not the case. KD simply failed to play him early in the the year. It cost the team this year while putting the player's development behind for subsequent years. Anybody that has watched Hima play over the last 3 weeks can see that he is improving at a fine pace & needs as many minutes as he can get on this train wreck of a team.

2. Hima as a freshman/sophomore as compared to Nicholson is apples to oranges. As a freshman Nicholson played every game, averaged 12.5 points, 6 rebounds, & 2.7 blocks while playing 25 minutes & shooting better than 60% from the field. Posters may recall he was awesome against the Dukes both times they played that year. (18-8-3 shooting .875 in game 1 & 29-12-6 shooting .722 in game 2) He was A-10 Rookie of the Week 6 times, was A-10 Rookie of the Year, & made some freshman All-American teams.

Sorry Napa, Nicholson looked nothing like Hima early on. Aside from the obvious differences in results, Nicholson was/is shorter, less athletic, not as long, & had a goodly amount more bulk as a 19-year-old freshman than Hima has as a nearly 21-year-old redshirt freshman.

I am a lifelong Bonnie fan & Olean native. Even so, I always root for the Dukes when they play the Bonnies. I recall being very disappointed when Nicholson committed to SBU over Duquesne. That disappointment turned to deep frustration while Nicholson destroyed the Dukes for 4 years. 

3. MOUNIR, PLEASE STAY!!!!!!

Thanks for that input. My recall of watching  Nicholson  all four years here at DU of course, is vague now, but I seem to remember him as slim built, not a Rotrouff size guy. And he might have seemed taller to me because he was mostly matched up to Damien. But good info, Thanks,

3/08/2022 5:30 pm  #24

Thanks, phil95. The comparison to Nicholson was like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Like you, I believe that Hima should have played more minutes, especially when the season went completely down the drain.  There's a lot to work with there; like most big men, the game just needs to slow down for Mo to allow his physical presence to take over.
Here's his stat page:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mounir-hima-1.html

3/09/2022 12:34 am  #25

Phil95, who is Mounir's brother? 

Board footera