Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2015 12:11 am  #1

Fire Jim Ferry Now

I'm completely disgusted with the Duquesne basketball program.  Jim Ferry is a loser.  That's all there is to it.  Get rid of him and the idiot Amodio who hired him.  What is Ferry teaching the team?  It's painfully obvious, he's teaching them how to lose and make excuses.  I'd rather have Danny Nee as our coach than this bum. 

1/23/2015 12:20 am  #2

Re: Fire Jim Ferry Now

They are not going to eat 2 million in salary, they just won't. Amodio is more likely to be the one who gets the axe first. Ferry will get next year to prove he can turn it around. I didn't want Dino, but damn, could he have done any worse?

1/23/2015 12:48 am  #3

I know they won't fire him today no matter how deserved it is.  I didn't want Dino either, but you're right, he could not be doing worse. 

As you know, a high school freshman who is close to me appears to have D-1 and perhaps very high D-1 talent.  How could I with any honesty and true concern for his well being recommend that he come and be part of this?  I hate to say this, but last year I was speaking with one of Duquesne's big stars from the glory days and he said that if this young man truly does develop into a blue chip recruit he should go elsewhere.  It pained me to hear this former NBA draft pick make such a statement.  But let's face it, he's right.

1/23/2015 8:00 am  #4

I believe this is what is called the "sh*t" hitting the fan when long time supporters like VBC have this to say.   Charlie was there last night watching his alma mater beat his current employer in stunning fashion.   It is all up to him.

1/23/2015 8:38 am  #5

Actually, I think they should extend his contract for his creativity.  He has developed a new defense...

LHTM - With this defense you don't have to go to a man to man when a player from the other team lights it up with 3 pointers.  You don't have to go to a box and one, a 3 - 2 instead of a 2-3 which would help with the outside shooting at the top of the key, and you don't have to think, "Hey, how about if I extend my defense and maybe give up some two pointers in the paint instead of the 3 points...because with new math, 2 points is less than 3 points."  Oh, the LHTM defense that Ferry invented,  
                                                    LET'S   HOPE   THEY   MISS

If you haven't written the coaches, yes the coaches (all of their emails are listed except of course for the head coach) and the President NOW is the time.  Believe me, it DOES make a difference.  Also, email the director of basketball operations.

Last edited by FAM (1/23/2015 8:39 am)

1/23/2015 8:50 am  #6

Wow when VBC jumps ship it's over! Unfortunately Amodio served as Charlie's Rasputin. Our beloved AD has cost this University millions & has set the mens program back at this stage 5 years from being competitive. I will not bash the players or the coach I knew in time the Koolaid gang would turn & they did imagine that! At this stage I guarantee local H.S like Mt.L,CV,USC NA outdraw Duquesne. Come March it's time for a change....Look at the excitement at Pitt once Pederson was given his walking papers. Chancellor Gallagher in a recent article stated "ultimately the decision came down to Pederson lacking latitude to manage".If Amodio had one-tenth the accomplishments of Pitts former AD he would be a hero.

1/23/2015 9:28 am  #7

VBC I am disgusted also. The thing that disgusts me the most is the fact that Ferry gives no indication that he could ever be the next level coach. You would think that in year three there would be some signs of this team moving in the right direction and eventually being able to compete for championships. All of the players on his team are his recruits. If he recruited the wrong kind of players so that he is only limited to playing 2-3 zone whose fault is that? It is just insane to think that this team is not capable of playing any other kind of defense then this ineffective, nonfunctional, porous zone. He keeps talking about getting better. Earth to Ferry your team just gave up 100 points! What is the point of playing the stupid zone exclusively when other teams cut through it just like butter? Somebody please explain it to me, I just don't get it. If he switched defenses could it be any worse when teams are scoring at will against this weak zone? Everybody knew that Posey was going to get the ball on the last possession. The Dukes have to play to deny him the ball. Why not switch to man and put your best defender on him?  Moreover why not press in the last minutes of the game to try to change the momentum. Teams get so comfortable against the Duquesne zone. Our guards are so small that good shooters eyes light up when they get the ball to shoot the three point shot over top of them. I like FAM's satirical comment on the LH TM defense. I just don't get it. It's not like were playing an effective zone to stay with it the whole game.  Just pathetic coaching!

It is just so hard to believe that this coaching staff is so bad! I don't mean mildly bad, they are horribly bad. People talk about the low IQ of this team, well it starts with the coaching! Just like everybody else I am so sick of excuses. I don't blame Charlie, as I do believe he was sold a bill of goods by Amodio. But I do believe it is time for a new AD.  There has to be accountability.  Neither Amodio or any of these coaches would make it in the real business world. No company would put up with this. If your business is hemorrhaging more money after year three than when you took over you haveto go! There has to be accountability. It has to start with the president holding the AD accountable.

I know I have rambled here in my post. But as I said in the beginning I am so totally disgusted with what is going on and Duquesne.It is definitely time for a change. And by that I mean Amodio has to be held accountable for this debacle. 

Last edited by CLK (1/23/2015 10:30 am)

1/23/2015 10:16 am  #8

I don't want to pile on but I would like to add a few cents!!  I sat there last night midway through the second half and like a bad wreck you see mentally in slow motion you could see it coming. We continually show a lack of care for possessing the ball we play the same way up by 20 or down by 20 and I believe that stems from a lack of a real offensive system. I have said this before and will say it again with the small lineup we insist on playing a 3/2 would be far more affective. As bad as we are defending I would have accepted fouling before they got the ball to Pousey but A) we would have had to rebound a miss and B) we would have had to make a couple of foul shots. We have never under this staff shown the ability to get a good shoot or have a effective solution to end of game situations. To have guards race down court and throw up 3's with no attempt to pass or pick or do anything to help them is insane as is the fact that once again we left a timeout unused.  I hate to kill individual's but McKoy has now missed 15 consecutive foul shots either someone needs to look at his technique or he can't play. I thought Schmidt several times made mistakes not putting him on the line late in the game and he got away with it. I saw Buckwheat on the other board call out Gill for playing 31 minutes with 1 rebound that is astonishing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the substitutions who plays who doesn't and why. I'm totally at a loss to understand what is being presented to us.

1/23/2015 11:19 am  #9

Now remember fellow posters, how long did Duquesne stay with the scowling BC, 16 years?

I feel bad for the kids here, I think they are trying but overmatched so often. They were playing scared in the last 5 min last night.

McKoy, so effective last year but something has happened to him, he was decent at the free throw line, sometimes even clutch. Now he has a mental block just throwing up bricks.

Even Mason left points when he shot free throws, he should make 8-9 out of ten with his form.

No wonder those Hampton Twins turned down the Duquesne, even bringing them both here couldn't fool them, Brian Shanahan must be breathing a sight of relief.
If I hadn't expierenced such a great program in the past, I mean 1961 on, I would not feel so bad.
I hope that NY kid doesn't read this board to realize the hell he is coming to.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/23/2015 12:51 pm  #10

Drop the football program ,Duquesne is losing a lot of money giving scholarships away ,there is very 
little  fan interrest,take the football money and get rid of Ferry.Duquesne  basketball can not wait
for 3 more years on Ferry,no local kid would look at Duquesne,Ferry is perceived as a loser by
people who support Duquesne ,it makes recruiting  more difficult,This can not go on much longer,
the program is eating money and there is little hope for future success as long as Ferry is around.

1/23/2015 1:49 pm  #11

Stew that is not going to happen.  Football is here to stay, as it should be, at Duquesne.  At this point it seriously appears that Amodio screwed up in hiring Ferry, but there is IMHO zero chance that Ferry will be let go this year.  DU can't afford to eat theexorbitant salary that he is earning. I said exorbitant because in no way is he earning that kind of money by his performance. This season is spiraling out of control and could be one of the worst since the Danny Nee era. What is likely, however, is that the administration would look at the program and determine that Amodio needs to be held accountable for the destruction of the fan base and the miserable product that is being presented under the name of Duquesne basketball. Replacing Amodio would go a long way in restoring hope to the long-suffering fractured fan base (which there are less and less of as this debocle continues). 

1/23/2015 2:09 pm  #12

All i see is GA holding the football for Charlie to kick and then pulls it away making him fall on his arse . Charlie lays on the ground with images of RE circling above his head. Charlie is made a fool by GA  and everyone laughs. Sad but true, dust yourself off "Chuck" and do something, oh thats right the last two times you did it became a disaster, just take your ball and go home.

1/23/2015 3:14 pm  #13

You can not just "drop" football.   Duquesne operates under the model of 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports (if one of the sports is football).   The only other model is to be Division I is 7 mens sports & 7 womens sports.  The 6/8 and 7/7 models are the minimum standards required to be Division I. 

So the scholarships you drop with football will have to be picked up by 2 other mens sports.   So there is no wind fall of cash dropping football.  Sure football probably costs more than say men's lacrosse and swimming, but having football is not our problem.   Leadership is our problem.   

On another topic, when people say DU should drop to the NEC or Patriot League.   Think about that.  No school in recent history has ever dropped to a lower conference. And the only ones to get kicked out were Temple from Big East football.  This athletic department is bleeding money.  It has to be.   Think about now much more money they will be bleeding if they drop to the NEC....lower attendance (okay it cant go much lower, but lower), even less TV money, and no NCAA shares from the other A10 members who go to the NCAA tournament.   That is one way to make the situation worse.

This can be turned around.  We just need new leadership in the Athletic Department starting with a new AD.   A new AD best will hopefully be in place by May 1 of this year.   Then he can pull the plug on Ferry after next season.

1/23/2015 4:35 pm  #14

duqkurt wrote:

You can not just "drop" football. Duquesne operates under the model of 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports (if one of the sports is football). The only other model is to be Division I is 7 mens sports & 7 womens sports. The 6/8 and 7/7 models are the minimum standards required to be Division I.

So the scholarships you drop with football will have to be picked up by 2 other mens sports. So there is no wind fall of cash dropping football. Sure football probably costs more than say men's lacrosse and swimming, but having football is not our problem. Leadership is our problem.

On another topic, when people say DU should drop to the NEC or Patriot League. Think about that. No school in recent history has ever dropped to a lower conference. And the only ones to get kicked out were Temple from Big East football. This athletic department is bleeding money. It has to be. Think about now much more money they will be bleeding if they drop to the NEC....lower attendance (okay it cant go much lower, but lower), even less TV money, and no NCAA shares from the other A10 members who go to the NCAA tournament. That is one way to make the situation worse.

This can be turned around. We just need new leadership in the Athletic Department starting with a new AD. A new AD best will hopefully be in place by May 1 of this year. Then he can pull the plug on Ferry after next season.

Good post. As bad as Ferry has been, coaches expect to get a minimum of 4 years when they come to anything less than a very successful program. Firing Ferry after 3 years would make it impossible to lure any kind of decent replacement. Give GA the boot. That would calm what's left of the fan base. Ferry would be on the hot seat next year, and if the team still stinks, no one could question him getting canned. If this happens, I don't want any coach who comes in here talking about running our way to success. Bring in a guy who has a reputation for having well coached teams. Teams that play great defense. Teams that hit free throws. Defense and great free throw shooting can help less talented teams win a lot of close games.

1/23/2015 4:44 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

You can not just "drop" football. Duquesne operates under the model of 6 men's sports and 8 women's sports (if one of the sports is football). The only other model is to be Division I is 7 mens sports & 7 womens sports. The 6/8 and 7/7 models are the minimum standards required to be Division I.

So the scholarships you drop with football will have to be picked up by 2 other mens sports. So there is no wind fall of cash dropping football. Sure football probably costs more than say men's lacrosse and swimming, but having football is not our problem. Leadership is our problem.

On another topic, when people say DU should drop to the NEC or Patriot League. Think about that. No school in recent history has ever dropped to a lower conference. And the only ones to get kicked out were Temple from Big East football. This athletic department is bleeding money. It has to be. Think about now much more money they will be bleeding if they drop to the NEC....lower attendance (okay it cant go much lower, but lower), even less TV money, and no NCAA shares from the other A10 members who go to the NCAA tournament. That is one way to make the situation worse.

This can be turned around. We just need new leadership in the Athletic Department starting with a new AD. A new AD best will hopefully be in place by May 1 of this year. Then he can pull the plug on Ferry after next season.

\. Give GA the boot. That would calm what's left of the fan base. Ferry would be on the hot seat next year, and if the team still stinks, no one could question him getting canned. If this happens, .

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!  De ja vu all over again.  Gee this sounds familiar.  Hmmmm,  where have I heard "We can't have a coach who isn't extended and is in his very last year and is on the hotseat?"   Hmmmmmmmm!  Seems like it was about three years ago.  Oh well, I've already pointed out that the last time we fired the coach who brought us back to moderate success, his successor lasted three years! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/23/2015 5:02 pm  #16

ok ok so, CHARLIE the tuna is swimming along and a big hook comes down with a sign " fire Everhart hire Dambrodt" Charlie bites but the hook is pulled. Then another hook comes down and says "sorry Charlie" !  

1/23/2015 5:56 pm  #17

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

\. Give GA the boot. That would calm what's left of the fan base. Ferry would be on the hot seat next year, and if the team still stinks, no one could question him getting canned. If this happens, .

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!  De ja vu all over again.  Gee this sounds familiar.  Hmmmm,  where have I heard "We can't have a coach who isn't extended and is in his very last year and is on the hotseat?"   Hmmmmmmmm!  Seems like it was about three years ago.  Oh well, I've already pointed out that the last time we fired the coach who brought us back to moderate success, his successor lasted three years! 

Ferry isn't going into his last year, he has 3 years left after this. The situation with Ron was different. He was going into a rebuilding year, with 2 years left on his deal. He shouldn't have been fired, but he was in a tough spot. Since you can't let a coach go into his final year, Ron was going to have to either get an extension right then, or have a good enough season to be extended at the end of the coming year. Since most felt that the team was going to struggle after the defections of TJ, and Talley, an AD that was in Ron's corner would have tried to add a year to his deal right then, so that recruits would know that he was going to be there at least for the next two years. This is what should have happened. That would have given Ron 2 seasons to rebuild the team. If at the end of those two years, the team wasn't on the rise, then you would have been justified in making a change, as it would have been 5 years since the NIT team, and perpetual .500 teams eventually get you fired everywhere.
I think there were enough red flags during Ron's last two years, to preclude him from getting a full 5 year extension, but I think he had done enough to deserve 2 more years to get the train moving again.

1/23/2015 6:13 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ferry isn't going into his last year, he has 3 years left after this. The situation with Ron was different. He was going into a rebuilding year, with 2 years left on his deal. He shouldn't have been fired, but he was in a tough spot. Since you can't let a coach go into his final year, Ron was going to have to either get an extension right then, or have a good enough season to be extended at the end of the coming year. Since most felt that the team was going to struggle after the defections of TJ, and Talley, an AD that was in Ron's corner would have tried to add a year to his deal right then, so that recruits would know that he was going to be there at least for the next two years. This is what should have happened. That would have given Ron 2 seasons to rebuild the team. If at the end of those two years, the team wasn't on the rise, then you would have been justified in making a change, as it would have been 5 years since the NIT team, and perpetual .500 teams eventually get you fired everywhere.
I think there were enough red flags during Ron's last two years, to preclude him from getting a full 5 year extension, but I think he had done enough to deserve 2 more years to get the train moving again.

I knew someone was going to point that out, about Ferry still having two years left, BUT, given the situation that was outlined above,  new AD,and that AD makes it very clear to Ferry that this year better see a drastic improvement or else, you are in essentially the same situation.  Ferry is coaching for his job and every recruit, not mention current player knows that, to me, it's the exact same situation.

FERRY SUCKS! He needs to go with Amodio or else you are looking at attendance at games next year that will be measured in the 200s

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/23/2015 7:02 pm  #19

I thought Ferry signed a seven year deal at 600k per year. so if i am correct he has 4 years left ?

1/23/2015 9:16 pm  #20

Scotchngars wrote:

I thought Ferry signed a seven year deal at 600k per year. so if i am correct he has 4 years left ?

600,000.00 x 7 = 4.2 million Coach K would never get a 7 year contract! Nobody gets a 7 year deal too much Scotch! Not even GA would be that clueless.

1/24/2015 12:02 am  #21

Ferry's deal was for 6 years. He'll have 3 years left after this season. They're not going to eat 3 years, nor should they. If you're not willing to give a coach 4 years, you're not going to get anything but the worst retreads to come here. Send GA packing after this year. The new AD gets a year to settle in. If by some miracle Ferry leads the team to a solid season next year, all will be good. If not, the new AD gets to bring in his guy. The one good thing is that because Castro, and Jackson are burning a year sitting out, any new coach will at least inherit a few decent players, as those two will be unlikely to transfer again.

1/24/2015 11:20 am  #22

duq81, not arguing but i looked back on the old board,and saw many post's by several saying 600k for 7 years guaranteed. So I do believe the number of years left is 4. No Scotch yet "Ironduke".

1/24/2015 3:13 pm  #23

while i certainly dont think ga or jf are going anywhere after this year(just an opinion), i was curious, since this thread is titled fire ferry now, what are you guys looking for in a head coach/who do you want the next coach to be?

personally, i think they should go young- preferably early 30s, a former player with a blue chip pedigree, who maybe apprenticed under a big time coach. someone who can energize the fanbase and program but also brings a big time college basketball attitude, having been a player and assistant at high level, and knows from both sides of the out of bounds line what it takes to win at a big time level...

1/24/2015 3:31 pm  #24

If Amodio is not fired after this season, I vow that DU will never get another cent of my money in any form (including parking for hockey games) and I will never ever watch, listen to or comment on Duquesne ever again.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/24/2015 3:32 pm)

1/24/2015 3:43 pm  #25

I mentioned my choice in the other thread.  Vermont's head coach.  

http://uvmathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=333

I would also take anyone who is focused on half court defense and offense.  I don't want to hear about run and fun.  I'd take the top assistant at Wisconsin who I know has to have learned a ton from Bo Ryan in all the years under him.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/greg_gard_482328.html

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera