Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2015 3:28 pm  #1

U Mass

They are big and long. We will need to have our bigs, including Jordan Robinson, play well. I hope the coach doesn't sit them in favor of smaller players. They need to get on the court and gain experience.

2/13/2015 3:49 pm  #2

Re: U Mass

Always a difficult team to beat, but it is possible.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/13/2015 5:37 pm  #3

Pressure I see little chance of Jordan playing and my rational for this is Ferry's quote after the game that he doesn't understand how the Dukes lost to GW on the road and come back and win a easy game at home with everything the same?  Really!!!!! He is painting the picture of the A-10 being a home court league.

2/13/2015 5:59 pm  #4

The Dome wrote:

Pressure I see little chance of Jordan playing and my rational for this is Ferry's quote after the game that he doesn't understand how the Dukes lost to GW on the road and come back and win a easy game at home with everything the same? Really!!!!! He is painting the picture of the A-10 being a home court league.

That would not suprise me.

2/13/2015 10:58 pm  #5

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/umass_basketball_vs_duquesne_1.html

The betting line is 11. Pomeroy also has the Dukes losing by 11, 79-68; giving the Dukes a 14% chance of a win.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/13/2015 11:04 pm)

2/14/2015 9:19 am  #6

On the UMASS board, it looks like some see this as a potential 'trap' game for them.  Their fans are up for this game and it should be a good BB atmosphere.  Hopefully, the Dukes show up.  UMASS fans still haven't forgiven Ray and Jarrett for their announcing a few years back.  I think I remember Jarrett commenting about UMASS during that game that he could play better defense.  A poster on their board wrote 'Surprised nobody has mentioned the best part of this game being at home. We don't have to listen to the BRUTAL Duquesne announcer tandem!!'  

It would be great to get a win today.  Go Dukes!

2/14/2015 9:57 am  #7

Just a note, FGCU out of Fort Myers, Fl went up there without one of their best players, Jamali Jones transfer from Marquette, and beat them. The A-Sun is a very weak conference this year where the 18-7 Eagles may be NCAA bound after a conference championship played at their home court.

They will one of the teams Duquesne will play Novenber in a 6 team tournament in Estero, Fl. A good trip for any fans, last year all games over three days just $43.00 and played in hockey arena that seats about 6,000. Plenty of Pittsburgh Area folks live year round in here.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/14/2015 11:48 am  #8

indygjm wrote:

On the UMASS board, it looks like some see this as a potential 'trap' game for them.  Their fans are up for this game and it should be a good BB atmosphere.  Hopefully, the Dukes show up.  UMASS fans still haven't forgiven Ray and Jarrett for their announcing a few years back.  I think I remember Jarrett commenting about UMASS during that game that he could play better defense.  A poster on their board wrote 'Surprised nobody has mentioned the best part of this game being at home. We don't have to listen to the BRUTAL Duquesne announcer tandem!!'  

Ray is great.  JD, well.....

2/14/2015 12:37 pm  #9

duqkurt wrote:

indygjm wrote:

Ray is great. JD, well.....

JD isn't great, but he's not an announcer. Dick Groat isn't great on the Pitt games either, but these are local guys who lend some flavor to the broadcast. We got spoiled by having Nellie King, and then George Von Benko, because they were play by play guys doing color.

Most of the main play by play guys in Pittsburgh except Greg Brown, are getting long in the tooth.It's going to be strange to soon not hear Ray Goss, Bill Hilgrove, and Mike Lange, not calling the games anymore.

2/14/2015 4:25 pm  #10

Gey McCoy back on the floor!

2/14/2015 5:08 pm  #11

Crap colter and Gill are 0-10 with 5 fouls.  Mason 0-3 after starting 4-4

2/14/2015 5:39 pm  #12

3 point game. Dont look now but Jones might get a triple double

2/14/2015 5:55 pm  #13

Robinson again showing why he should have been getting lots of floor time all year.

This one is going to the wire (apparently).

2/14/2015 6:20 pm  #14

If they had played like this all year, they'd have 4-5 more wins. No Stevens again, and he wasn't missed.

2/14/2015 6:35 pm  #15

Might we have seen the last of Mr. Stevens?

2/14/2015 6:42 pm  #16

Robinson will be good next year. I'd say by his senior year he could be a beast.  Maybe a 18/11 player.

2/14/2015 6:45 pm  #17

Yep. One of the worst things that happened was that what's his name scored all of those points vs. Abilene Christian in his first regular season game.  He figured that he could do that anytime.

And I do think that Tysean Powell is now really going to have to work to get his minutes back.  He was essentially handed minutes as a freshman - a big mistake by the coaching staff - that he didn't deserve based upon his lack of defense and selfishness.  If Powell has as much talent that I think he has, I'm hoping that this lights a fire under his prima donna butt and works himself into a very good all around player for the Dukes.

2/14/2015 7:12 pm  #18

It only took him 2/3 of the season, but I think Ferry has finally figured out who needs to be on the floor. We are eligible to take an international trip this summer (every 4 years, and RE took one before his final season), and we really need to take one. With every key piece except Domo coming back, and 2 guys practicing while sitting out, we could really get a leg up on things next year. International trips are almost like an extra season. You get to work out the kinks, and figure out where your new guys fit in. It is crucial that at the very minimum, we return to the "Everhart level" next year. That means a winning record, and at least a CBI bid at the bare minimum.

2/14/2015 7:43 pm  #19

Listened to the game. Foul trouble hurt us early and it seemed we had some bad turnovers that were unforced in the first half. If LG could've made a shot or two it would've been a different game. Didn't get any production out of Ridenour, but I'd take his play over stevens going 2-15 any day of the week.  I like this group that played today. Jeremiah played well, teams getting close to a road win, hopefully this Wednesday. Totally forgot that they were eligible. I would like to see them take advantage of it because that extra practice time and game experience could' be crucial and next year is the most important year for ferry and this program.

2/14/2015 7:54 pm  #20

Duq81 my main concern is that not only did they miss judge the talent but his continuation of a no bad shot policy is baffling. We threw up 21, 3's and made 5.  Two of those by that shooting wizard Jeremiah Jones.😄. He constantly says that shooters have to shot but who says they have to be 3's. For the year we are slightly north of 35% from the arc and 45% from the field. What if we shot 7-8 fewer 3's and went for more favorable shots this game and a few others could have been a lot different. I don't see a desire to reign that it.

Last edited by The Dome (2/14/2015 7:56 pm)

2/14/2015 9:07 pm  #21

The Dome wrote:

Duq81 my main concern is that not only did they miss judge the talent but his continuation of a no bad shot policy is baffling. We threw up 21, 3's and made 5.  Two of those by that shooting wizard Jeremiah Jones.😄. He constantly says that shooters have to shot but who says they have to be 3's. For the year we are slightly north of 35% from the arc and 45% from the field. What if we shot 7-8 fewer 3's and went for more favorable shots this game and a few others could have been a lot different. I don't see a desire to reign that it.

Effective field goal percentage is like regular field goal percentage except that it gives 50% more credit for made three pointers.
The Dukes are 77th in the country with a 51.3 effective field goal percentage. In conference games, they are 4th in the A-10 with a 50.4%.
It's tough to overcome an 0-7 3 point shooting performance from Gill. I didn't see the game, but I'm guessing that most of them were probably good looks that he didn't knock down.
For the most part, I don't have a problem with the shot selection, excepting what I have seen from Stevens and James. As good as Mason and Colter are in shooting the 3, you have to give them the green light to shoot when open. The Dukes are lacking that consistent 3rd threat that could keep defenses honest; we have seen that on occasion from LG; i.e. The second half of the GW game.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/14/2015 9:07 pm)

2/15/2015 9:34 am  #22

Sorry Phoenix I have seen far to many possession this year with a 3 thrown up after 1 pass or no passes. At the GW game in the first half alone we counted 7 possessions that had a shot after 1 or no passes in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. Gill's three point shooting has gone to hell in the last 4/5 games. In the second half against GW he faked from the corner beat his man a had a easy dunk. Shooting 3's also puts very little stress on the defense and draws very few fouls. I know our foul shooting was a issue but several times this year we went entire halfs without a foul shot. Let's get some motion run some clock and make people work on defense. One last point and I hate to be redundant what a waste of opportunity to have Robinson watch all year. Those who insist the game was to fast for him or he had to improve parts of his game PLEASE we where getting stomped could he have made it worse. And I still believe he could be a 4 at some point.

2/15/2015 12:44 pm  #23

LG appears to be a little more than the 215 listed, Damain was listed at  215 and Little gill doesn't seem as little, drive the ball I say. That's how you get to the line and put the other teams starters on the bench.

At least the improvement seems to be coming along.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera