Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2015 5:31 pm  #1

AH for the Good Ole' Days!!!

With St. Joes coming to Pittsburgh - brings back the memories of when the DU Students "ripped off the feathers" from the mascot's costume from St. Joes (at least twice)

First time was at the Arena - Sheiks did it -  Duquesne Version was that "The Hawk" was weaving in and out of the cheerleaders while they were doing their routines - they asked him to stop and he didn't do so"  The St. Joes version was ("probably")  drunken ^&*(*(()))(*(*  -  Anyway at the next home game the Sheiks were collecting - they said they were required by the Administration to replace the costume (The Playboys were probably thinking "Yeah Sure -- this $$$ is probably going towards "a few pitchers" at Sandroni's and/or Frank & Wally's

Second time was at Palumbo

Hopefully there won't be any incidents tomorrow -  (the St. Joes fans might OUTNUMBER the DU Fans)  but if he is running in and out of them during their routines maybe one of them will "Accidentally (on purpose)  BOP HIM IN HIS BEAK!!!!!

1/07/2015 1:35 pm  #2

Re: AH for the Good Ole' Days!!!

Is St. joe's the only team that takes its mascot to away games?  Not sure why they schlep that thing from place to place.  I've never seen the Dukes mascot away, except at the A-10 Tournament in Philadelphia.

1/07/2015 4:01 pm  #3

It's not a run of the mill mascot. Not sure of the history but I believe that the person selected receives a scholarship.

2/20/2015 2:39 pm  #4

Sandroni's and Frank's (Frank & Wally's).  Ah, yes, the good old days.  Sweet little Mary Sandroni had the 20-cent drafts, and Frank's, the much more expensive 25-cent drafts.

2/20/2015 3:42 pm  #5

I was at the Civic Arena the night the Shieks marched down to the floor in white sheets and destroyed that damn Hawk, we were in the stands howling like maniacs, it was so funny.

Several years later I learned one of the feather plukying sheiks was my business parter, I liked him even more because of the St Joes Hawk Incident!

A diehard fan since 1961

2/20/2015 4:19 pm  #6

Phildog wrote:

I was at the Civic Arena the night the Shieks marched down to the floor in white sheets and destroyed that damn Hawk, we were in the stands howling like maniacs, it was so funny.

Several years later I learned one of the feather plukying sheiks was my business parter, I liked him even more because of the St Joes Hawk Incident!

I couldn't have been more than 15 feet away. I can still remember the look of fury in the eyes of one of the SJU student managers, as they tore off the bench to rescue the hawk. I thought he might kill a Sheik.

Board footera