Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2015 1:47 pm  #1

Jim Ferry can't win at Duquesne

My strong belief is that Jim Ferry cannot win at Duquesne (or at any higher level D-1 school).  Sometimes we as fans are overly influenced by what we recently see; i.e. we’re losing because we can’t shoot foul shots (and we can’t), or that we don’t have talent (I do think we have good enough talent to win 17 games with our schedule this year), we take bad shots (every team does), we’re selfish (true with some players), we’re not tough enough (again, true with some players), and on and on.  These certainly are reasons why we may have lost a particular game, but as we have seen this year, it seems as if there is a different reason for each loss.  But the following is my primary and most significant reason why I have this belief.

Simply, Jim Ferry’s teams have historically played very poor defense.  Even when he was taking teams to the NCAA his last two years at LIU, those teams were below average defensively.  He has a proven track record of either placing low importance on defense or he simply can’t coach defense.  Either one of these reasons is very troubling.

All of the following stats are coming from Ken Pomeroy (www.kenpom.com) and his statistical analysis.  With the manner in which the game is being played today, there is a direct correlation between “Defensive Efficiency” and wins.  Adjusted Defensive Efficiency is a calculated stat that is based upon how many points you allow per possession.  So let’s start here.

This season vs. D-1 competition, Duquesne’s defensive efficiency rating is 111.6, meaning that they give up 1.116 points per possession (or 111.6 points per 100 possessions).  This ranks 332nd out of 351 D-1 teams.  And in A-10 conference games, this rating is 114.6, last in the conference.  With the average number of possessions in a Dukes game running about 67 or 68, these numbers translate into giving up 73.8 points per game vs. D-1 competition, and in the A-10 conference so far, 76.0 points per game.  And remember, these numbers were earned against the weak schedule that we played.

Think about this.  Look at the scores or watch the ticker crawl on ESPN, it is an fairly uncommon occurrence in NCAA basketball for a team to lose if they score 74 to 76 points in a game.  So the Dukes are going to need to outscore opponents; but look again, how many games do you see where the winning team is scoring more than 75 in a game (unless it’s against the Dukes)?  In the NCAA today, it is hard to consistently score these kinds of points that the Dukes need to win.

Let’s go back to Defensive Efficiency and compare our numbers vs. our conference foes and top teams in the country.

•  Duquesne:  111.6
•  A-10 Conference Top 4 Teams:  URI 89.9; VCU 92.1; Dayton 92.7; GW 93.5
•  National Top 5 Teams:  Kentucky 80.8; Virginia 84.6; San Diego St. 86.3; Louisville 86.8; Utah 87.4

The number of possessions per game this year is around 65; and for the most part, each team in a game will have nearly the same number of possessions.  So, the Dukes are giving up an additional 0.2 points per possession as compared to the top teams in the A-10; and an additional 0.25 points compared to the best in the NCAA.  It’s a lot for any offense to overcome, especially when you are playing against teams that play very good defense or even better defense than you do as a team.  It leaves you very little room for error on offense; you’re most likely going to lose if you have a bad free throw shooting night, if you turn the ball over, if you shoot badly from 3, etc.

Pomeroy established that there are 4 factors in improving Defensive Efficiency:

1)  Effective FG% - Make your opponents miss their shots;
2)  Turnover % - Get your opponents to turn the ball over, force turnovers;
3)  Offensive Rebound % - When your opponents miss, get the rebound and prevent offensive rebounds
4)  FTA/FGA – Don’t send your opponents to the line.

It is very hard to be very good at all four factors, but you can’t be mediocre or bad in most or all categories.  Let’s take a look at the Dukes and the best in the A-10:

1)  Effective FG % - 51.5% - 276th in the country; URI – 43.3% - 15th in country
2)  Turnover % - 17.3% - 288th in the country; VCU – 25.6% - 4th in country
3)  Offensive Rebound % - 32.9% - 249th in the country; Davidson - 27.2% - 30th in country
4)  FTA/FGA – 37.3% - 178th in the country; GW – 25.1% - 8th in country

The Dukes are mediocre or bad in all 4 defensive categories.

Now, let’s take a look at Jim Ferry’s Defensive History, using his Adjusted Defensive Efficiency numbers.  Because of the issue of this LIU Brooklyn teams playing up in class for many non-conference “buy” games, I wanted to also take a look at his ranking in defensive efficiency as compared to other conference teams.

•  2015 – Duquesne 111.6 overall AdjD; #334 in country; 14th of 14 teams in A-10 play
•  2014 – Duquesne 108.6 overall AdjD; #243 in country; 11th of 13 teams in A-10 play
•  2013 – Duquesne 105.8 overall AdjD; #266 in country;16th of 16 teams in A-10 play
•  2012 – LIU Brooklyn 106.9 overall AdjD; #278 in country; 8th of 12 teams in NEC play
•  2011 – LIU Brooklyn 103.3 overall Adj D; #206 in country; 4th of 12 team s in NEC play
•  2010 – LIU Brooklyn 109.6 overall AdjD; #307 in country; 8th of 12 teams in NEC play
•  2009 – LIU Brooklyn 105.8 overall AdjD; #255 in country; 4th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2008 – LIU Brooklyn 104.4 overall AdjD; #206 in country; 5th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2007 – LIU Brooklyn 110.9 overall AdjD; #312 in country; 9th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2006 – LIU Brooklyn 107.7 overall AdjD; #272 in country; 9th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2005 – LIU Brooklyn 105.1 overall AdjD; #237 in country; 5th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2004 – LIU Brooklyn 107.8 overall AdjD; #278 in country; 7th of 11 teams in NEC play
•  2003 – LIU Brooklyn 109.4 overall AdjD; #295 in country; 10th of 12 teams in NEC play

So, Ferry’s best season ever defensively placed him at 206th in the country (twice); Ferry’s teams have never has been in the top half of the NCAA rankings.  In 13 seasons, he has only been in the top half of his conference 4 times in Defensive Efficiency.  As you can see, Ferry has been pretty consistent in his defensive efficiency numbers.  This goes back to my original point - Ferry has a proven track record of either placing low importance on defense or he simply can’t coach defense.

I think that two primary ways that Ferry has a chance of turning this thing around is:

1)  Improving defensively
2)  Bringing in more offensive talent to outscore the other team

Based on Ferry’s track record and the position of Duquesne in the basketball world, both of these are highly unlikely to happen.  Thus, I don’t believe that Ferry can win at Duquesne.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/25/2015 4:00 pm)

1/25/2015 2:00 pm  #2

Re: Jim Ferry can't win at Duquesne

Just as a point of reference, here are the defensive efficiency numbers at Duquesne going as far back as 2002.

2015 – Ferry    – 111.6 - #332 in country
2014 – Ferry    – 108.6 - #243 in country
2013 – Ferry    – 105.8 - #266 in country
2012 – Everhart – 101.1 - #101 in country
2011 – Everhart -  95.1 - # 43 in country
2010 – Everhart -  99.6 - #126 in country
2009 – Everhart – 105.9 - #260 in country
2008 – Everhart -  99.0 - # 98 in country
2007 – Everhart – 112.7 - #325 in country
2006 – Nee      - 114.2 – #328 in country
2005 – Nee      - 110.3 - #306 in country
2004 – Nee      - 101.6 – #168 in country
2003 – Nee      - 103.2 - #199 in country
2002 – Nee      - 103.9 - #221 in country

1/25/2015 2:10 pm  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Just as a point of reference, here are the defensive efficiency numbers at Duquesne going as far back as 2002.

2015 – Ferry    – 111.6 - #332 in country
2014 – Ferry    – 108.6 - #243 in country
2013 – Ferry    – 105.8 - #266 in country
2012 – Everhart – 101.1 - #101 in country
2011 – Everhart -  95.1 - # 43 in country
2010 – Everhart -  99.6 - #126 in country
2009 – Everhart – 105.9 - #260 in country
2008 – Everhart -  99.0 - # 98 in country
2007 – Everhart – 112.7 - #325 in country
2006 – Nee      - 114.2 – #328 in country
2005 – Nee      - 110.3 - #306 in country
2004 – Nee      - 101.6 – #168 in country
2003 – Nee      - 103.2 - #199 in country
2002 – Nee      - 103.9 - #221 in country

Hey, but you know Ron sucked as a coach...............sorry, gotta stop beating that deceased equine.  :-)

Wow, after his first year, when all the outside stuff happened and we were sometimes dressing 8 guys, Ron only had one year in the 200s and that was pretty much still better than Jim Ferry's average.   I hate to see that number later in the year as the Dukes play better A-10 teams!  Yikes, can we finished dead last in that stat?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/25/2015 2:55 pm  #4

Phoenix, great work. It always helps to have empirical data available when you are trying to build a case. Although, I'm sure Greg had this same information as he did his national search. Probably just interpreted it differently....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/25/2015 4:44 pm  #5

As for some other points of comparison.
Jamie Dixon - 12th year at Pitt
•  8 seasons placing in the Top 30 in the country in Defensive Efficiency
•  Only 2 seasons with Defensive Efficiency over 100 - this year and 2012

Andy Toole - 5th year at Robert Morris
•  2015 - 100.2 - 148th in the country - 95.7 in conference, 2nd of 10 teams in NEC
•  2014 - 102.2 - 155th in the country - 99.5 in conference, 2nd of 10 teams in NEC
•  2013 - 101.3 - 170th in the country - 99.5 in conference, 1st of 12 teams in NEC
•  2012 - 100.7 - 151st in the country - 97.5 in conference, 4th of 12 teams in NEC
•  2011 - 100.6 - 131st in the country - 91.2 in conference, 2nd of 12 teams in NEC

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/25/2015 4:44 pm)

1/25/2015 4:48 pm  #6

Great analysis. More work went into this post than Amodio did in hiring Ferry.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/25/2015 5:35 pm)

1/25/2015 4:57 pm  #7

Phoenix, this is eye opening. thanks.  This confirms what most of us who still follow DU suspected about Ferry's  ability, or should I say inability, to get his teams to play defense. 

1/25/2015 6:47 pm  #8

I am sure Amodio has already told Coach Ferry to hire his nephew, change defenses, sets, post play etc. etc. He sure did that with Ronnie.

1/26/2015 2:07 pm  #9

If defense if the biggest issue, isn't the solution to hire an assistant who specilizes in it?  Make him Associate Head Coach and demote Nash?

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/26/2015 10:09 pm  #10

Shouldn't this thread be titled "No one can win at Duquesne"? Yes we all know RE did a good job having winning seasons. I would hope all can acknowledge how much different of a league the A10 is now. Instead of getting 2 teams in the NCAAs, we are now talking about 4-5-6 teams each year. In addition, there are multiple teams ranked in the Top 25 or receiving votes.

Someone should start a new thread titled "When is Duquesne going to fully commit to Men's Basketball?" Or the rest of this board will become "Fire _____" fill in the blank for the last 40 years and many more to come. It seems like there are many long time fans on here, and I would think they would understand after this many years of no success, is it the school administration or all of the coaches. They all must suck right?

Everyone on here wants the team to play better and win more games. That is stating the obvious. Did anyone really think it was going to take under three years to fix 40 years of no success? Yes, $600K is a lot of money. But what most don't realize is it is still in the bottom 1/3 of A10 coaches salaries. Just because it is more than RE made (just like other minimal improvements in budget, assistant salaries, eye) doesn't mean it even compares to the rest of the conference. Too many people have Duquesne blinders on. The rest is the A10 flew by us years ago. Yes, RE had good years but those were a flash in the pan compared to the precious 35 of losing.That is certainly not the history and tradition of Dayton, VCU, Davidson, GW, UMASS, etc.

1/27/2015 8:47 am  #11

DukesFan79 wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be titled "No one can win at Duquesne"? Yes we all know RE did a good job having winning seasons. I would hope all can acknowledge how much different of a league the A10 is now. Instead of getting 2 teams in the NCAAs, we are now talking about 4-5-6 teams each year. In addition, there are multiple teams ranked in the Top 25 or receiving votes.

Someone should start a new thread titled "When is Duquesne going to fully commit to Men's Basketball?" Or the rest of this board will become "Fire _____" fill in the blank for the last 40 years and many more to come. It seems like there are many long time fans on here, and I would think they would understand after this many years of no success, is it the school administration or all of the coaches. They all must suck right?

Everyone on here wants the team to play better and win more games. That is stating the obvious. Did anyone really think it was going to take under three years to fix 40 years of no success? Yes, $600K is a lot of money. But what most don't realize is it is still in the bottom 1/3 of A10 coaches salaries. Just because it is more than RE made (just like other minimal improvements in budget, assistant salaries, eye) doesn't mean it even compares to the rest of the conference. Too many people have Duquesne blinders on. The rest is the A10 flew by us years ago. Yes, RE had good years but those were a flash in the pan compared to the precious 35 of losing.That is certainly not the history and tradition of Dayton, VCU, Davidson, GW, UMASS, etc.

Fan,
You hit it on the head, the program has limped along since Red stepped down with a few spots. We who post are some of the few that put up hope.
I recall when John Carrol came in, one of the toadies who worked in the Athletic Department told me "those New Yorkers think they are smarter than us" he was referring to PJ 's top assistant who had just been on a NCAA run.

It is like we are the only A-10 school that doesn't know how to get better, because we are.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/27/2015 9:16 am  #12

Phildog wrote:

DukesFan79 wrote:

Fan,
You hit it on the head, the program has limped along since Red stepped down with a few spots. We who post are some of the few that put up hope.
I recall when John Carrol came in, one of the toadies who worked in the Athletic Department told me "those New Yorkers think they are smarter than us" he was referring to PJ 's top assistant who had just been on a NCAA run.

It is like we are the only A-10 school that doesn't know how to get better, because we are.

Yeah, and I'll be willing to bet a "toady" who is still drawing a paycheck from the department still today.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/27/2015 10:58 am  #13

Not on the fire Ferry bandwagon I have always said it starts at the top not just the x & o's. Look at the last 3 AD,s at Duquesne any wonder. Amodio did a good thing picking RE but he blew it on his obsession to fire the coach especially without a replacement. Season tickets, casual fans,  3rd ranked team Pgh alumni disconnect, zero student support. If Coach Ferry is fired who in their right  mind would take this job with Amodio as AD.  Hopefully Charlie takes notice of other college venues on game day . Student support packed arenas. 600-800 fans only cuts it for local HS gyms. Blow it up rebuild from the top down. If Amodio stays what do you think happens the following season 300 fans per home game?

1/27/2015 11:54 am  #14

Good points Ironduke - that is everything in a nutshell.  I wonder what Ferry's contract says about $$ if he is fired before his long 6 years are up.  Just guessing, but we probably won't get bailed out by anyone else wanting him or his assistants to get us off the hook.  Some of this has to fall on the President of the University.  I will not give any $$ to the University until we have at least a season of the same number of wins as losses...isn't that a shame...listen to that statement.  Things do start at the top and it is now on the PRESIDENT!!!

1/27/2015 1:52 pm  #15

I disagree in regard to Charlie he is running the entire University pretty good I might say. Does anyone believe it was Charlie's move to get Ronnie. Again read the CBS letter from Charlie to the Board. Does anyone person believe Charlie drafted that Vernon? Yes it's ultimately Charlie's call come March I believe he like Pitts new President will make the move in regard to Amodio. Right now Pitt football is energized. Duquesne basketball is about to receive "last Rites"

1/27/2015 2:17 pm  #16

Ironduke I may be wrong on this and I can't stand on absolute conviction but I do know that RE was hired by a committee of Board members. I'm very well aware of one of them that was involved. Im not sure as to the involvement GA had. I also believe that the current hire was not aided by a committee that I know of. Not sure as to why that was the case unless RE was early enough in GA's time someone thought he needed the help. BTW I could not agree more that the overhaul needs to be far reaching. The university has become obsessed with growth to what end point I have no idea. More infrastructure means more cost and more students to feed the beast. Funny I just saw a real estate transaction for another property on Forbes Ave. that the university just purchased a few days ago.

Last edited by The Dome (1/27/2015 2:22 pm)

1/27/2015 2:24 pm  #17

FAM wrote:

Good points Ironduke - that is everything in a nutshell.  I wonder what Ferry's contract says about $$ if he is fired before his long 6 years are up.  Just guessing, but we probably won't get bailed out by anyone else wanting him or his assistants to get us off the hook.  Some of this has to fall on the President of the University.  I will not give any $$ to the University until we have at least a season of the same number of wins as losses...isn't that a shame...listen to that statement.  Things do start at the top and it is now on the PRESIDENT!!!

FAM: Have you made that money thing clear to those in charge, especially in the president's office?  Last December I called alumni relations and told them to strike my name completely from their mailing list, their beg letters, even the magazine. I told them they will not get one dime from me until we make the Big Dance! Also made sure to tell the president's assistant and her assistant.

Talk means nothing until people start cancelling season tickets for real and donations dry up.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/27/2015 3:47 pm  #18

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Not on the fire Ferry bandwagon I have always said it starts at the top not just the x & o's. Look at the last 3 AD,s at Duquesne any wonder. Amodio did a good thing picking RE but he blew it on his obsession to fire the coach especially without a replacement. Season tickets, casual fans, 3rd ranked team Pgh alumni disconnect, zero student support. If Coach Ferry is fired who in their right mind would take this job with Amodio as AD. Hopefully Charlie takes notice of other college venues on game day . Student support packed arenas. 600-800 fans only cuts it for local HS gyms. Blow it up rebuild from the top down. If Amodio stays what do you think happens the following season 300 fans per home game?

He had a replacement lined up. He just didn't count on the negative reaction that he got, one which caused his replacement (Gaudio), to think better of coming here (good move on his part). GA needs to go, but you pretty much have to give Ferry his fourth year, unless the team were to lose every game left. Other coaches are watching. No coach worth having is going to leave a good situation to come to a place that will give them only 3 years, nor will any top coach let a promising assistant come here under those circumstances. Unless you want to hire a guy off of the scrap heap, we've got Ferry for at least one more year.

1/27/2015 5:24 pm  #19

Couple of responses here, don't matter what the pay is Ferry makes almost twice what RE did and RE was at A10 championship, NIT, in his third minus 4 of 5 that were tragically shot. So pay me a million and see what happens. Firing GA imho will not encourage any player or coach to come here , like iron duke said top to bottom. Charlie drank the kool ade and now has been in hiding for the last three years. Where are the platue sayers that felt a a change was due, platue looks good now. The past 40 was being erased, but "some" of the starving faithful got a taste of winning and could not be patient enough to let it play out.

The replacement was never going to happen, The leak will forever be a shadow of trust and dutie to make a wrong a right. No one, no one from the university has ever stepped up to at least apologize for the lack of professionalism and smear of the best coach in decades, they like Charlie sit in hiding hoping it goes away, pitiful.

Last edited by Scotchngars (1/27/2015 5:25 pm)

1/27/2015 6:35 pm  #20

Scotchngars wrote:

Couple of responses here, don't matter what the pay is Ferry makes almost twice what RE did and RE was at A10 championship, NIT, in his third minus 4 of 5 that were tragically shot. So pay me a million and see what happens. Firing GA imho will not encourage any player or coach to come here, pitiful.

Another year of Amodio and Ferry and you will see less than 200 people at games.  Something HAS to be done, especially if, as it looks very possible like this team loses out, and fails to crack ten wins.

That kind of behavior and actions are exactly what helped put us in this 40 year Groundhog Day nightmare!  "it's just athletics."  Brian Colleary is doing the best that he can."  So what if you can't buy a tee shirt at Hills, sorry that's not my department. It's probably the department of someone else who has been here at the same job for 40 years." yadda yadda yadda...........

The flagship sport is now an absolute disgrace!  This cannot be rewarded!  Firing Amodio is an absolute must! He is responsible! 

Also, I don't think you won't get any player or coach to come here if you fire Ferry.  Most coaches know how things work and have watched Ferry's teams with his players in his 3rd year and see that he is just a bad coach and an incompetent teacher!  I think players would be the same way. I am sure the Dukes players are all over social media to their friends about how lousy the program is and how bad it is playing here. 

A new AD is a must!  Personally I want to see both go!

Dougherty has to man up and own up to his mistake, especially the leaked email three years ago.

It just sickens and disgusts me that the University I love and care about so much has allowed this to  happen, to the point that, as I pointed out above, I have essentially closed my checkbook and even made myself a "Non-person" to that very university, in the hopes of getting something accomplished!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/27/2015 6:50 pm  #21

Fair questions Tejas - Yes, whenever DU alumni calls and asks for money I tell them no money until the basketball record gets to be 500.  As far as tickets, I bought them over the summer (as season ticket holders have to) and like others, hoping the season would be at least respectable.  Not bragging, but I have been to only 1 game all year.  In the past I have gone to most home games and have been to away games also.  I am not sure what I will be doing for next year yet.  As I said earlier, I have written to the President and sports column writers and made my disgust known related to the basketball program.

1/27/2015 7:11 pm  #22

I think we all agree, no one can save this program player or coach until the entire administration both board, athletics, and administrative are replaced. The present and past 40 years don't know how to run athletics acadamia yes athletics no no no.  

1/28/2015 9:52 am  #23

I see Hoopsnut/Mr. Brightside critical of the firing of Amodio threads.. Really from a guy who hides behind a message board & takes shots at former players like Jason Duty.  Tell me your a lawyer, who terminates ones employment drafts the reasons then by some magic it ends up at CBS. Nice ruin the guys career yeah Ron was a horrible person. What WVU 17-3 Huggie running the old Duquesne defense.

2/21/2015 1:19 pm  #24

Please bring back Ron.....Only time that I can remember enjoying watching Duquesne basketball, his guys came to play.  I don't want to hear that the A10 now is too touch, last I checked we can't beat Robert Morris anymore and that has nothing to do with the A-10 or how big our basketball budget is.  Greg must go first.

2/21/2015 2:18 pm  #25

Watching the game on TV, Ferry's L. H. T. M defense (Let's Hope They Miss Defense)  can't cover the outside shots again. 

Board footera