Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2015 3:46 pm  #26

Re: Fire Jim Ferry Now

duq81 wrote:

Ferry's deal was for 6 years. He'll have 3 years left after this season. They're not going to eat 3 years, nor should they. If you're not willing to give a coach 4 years, you're not going to get anything but the worst retreads to come here. Send GA packing after this year. The new AD gets a year to settle in. If by some miracle Ferry leads the team to a solid season next year, all will be good. If not, the new AD gets to bring in his guy. The one good thing is that because Castro, and Jackson are burning a year sitting out, any new coach will at least inherit a few decent players, as those two will be unlikely to transfer again.

I have one caveat to that.  As today's utter and complete beatdown continues, if this team loses out, as looks more and more likely each passing game, and they don't even win ten games, there is no way in God's green earth they can bring Ferry back.  I don't care how much it costs, they can't allow this kind of performance to be rewarded!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/24/2015 4:14 pm  #27

Simms wrote:

I mentioned my choice in the other thread.  Vermont's head coach.  

http://uvmathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=333

I would also take anyone who is focused on half court defense and offense.  I don't want to hear about run and fun.  I'd take the top assistant at Wisconsin who I know has to have learned a ton from Bo Ryan in all the years under him.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/greg_gard_482328.html

Agreed every coach since Carroll has promised up temp, pressing and scoring and what are the results?  John Cheney was pretty damn successful by stressing defense, discipline and ball control!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/24/2015 5:32 pm  #28

heelsdukesfan wrote:

while i certainly dont think ga or jf are going anywhere after this year(just an opinion), i was curious, since this thread is titled fire ferry now, what are you guys looking for in a head coach/who do you want the next coach to be?

personally, i think they should go young- preferably early 30s, a former player with a blue chip pedigree, who maybe apprenticed under a big time coach. someone who can energize the fanbase and program but also brings a big time college basketball attitude, having been a player and assistant at high level, and knows from both sides of the out of bounds line what it takes to win at a big time level...

No coach who is on the fast track to success is going to come here. Look at the coaches who come to the weakest A10 teams. None ever fit that bill.

1/24/2015 6:16 pm  #29

Simms wrote:

I mentioned my choice in the other thread.  Vermont's head coach.  

http://uvmathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=333

I would also take anyone who is focused on half court defense and offense.  I don't want to hear about run and fun.  I'd take the top assistant at Wisconsin who I know has to have learned a ton from Bo Ryan in all the years under him.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/greg_gard_482328.html

Simms - can you expound on why you want this guy other than to say Lonergan also had success at Vermont?

And btw Simms, I am with you on the Vermont angle as I called for the Everhart firing one year before it happened and for the hiring of Mike Lonergan. People laughed at me.

I just want to know more about this guy.

1/24/2015 8:36 pm  #30

I remember you calling for Longerham, but it was after he was hired from GW.  I remember you being silent on your choice and then letting everyone know he was the guy you wanted.  Certainly he has been a tremendous coach.  I don't have much to support my choice other than the great success he has had since taking over, including making it to the 2nd round last year.  I know we will have Ferry for at least another year or two, so I think that seeing how he does with his own guys rather than Mike's will be a good indication of whether or not he can coach.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/24/2015 8:38 pm  #31

It also doesn't hurt that he was an assistant under Lonergan before taking over the program.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/21/2015 1:11 pm  #32

Bring back Ron.  Got rid of a loyal guy that actually had his teams playing great basketball.  Duke loses guys after one year to the NBA, Ron lost a guy after 2 years to the number #1 team in the Country.  Wow, bring that guy back!

2/21/2015 2:39 pm  #33

bringbackron wrote:

Bring back Ron.  Got rid of a loyal guy that actually had his teams playing great basketball.  Duke loses guys after one year to the NBA, Ron lost a guy after 2 years to the number #1 team in the Country.  Wow, bring that guy back!

Ron's not coming back, so quit trolling. We didn't lose anyone to Kentucky by the way.

Board footera