Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2015 6:40 pm  #1

5/12/2015 2:13 pm  #2

Re: RMU Arena Animation

So here is my question:  What is it exactly that Coach Ferry has requested from the University that he is not getting?  I heard him talk about how nice Palumbo is, and what a great advantage it was having the Consol virtually on campus, so what is he not getting to be competitive?  Everything I have head from him has been positive about the support he is getting so what is missing.  He needs to speak up because if he fails and complains later that he could not be successful because of X, Y or Z it will ring like a hallow excuse.  I know he has spoken about the investments by other Univerities, but never heard him say what exactly he wants or still needs from DU.  Short of tearing down Palumbo and building a more expensive facility what exactly is still needed at DU?  He needs to speak up if there are specific things he needs without which are roadblock to him being the next level coach and getting DU to the NCAA that he was hired to do.

5/12/2015 2:23 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

So here is my question:  What is it exactly that Coach Ferry has requested from the University that he is not getting?  I heard him talk about how nice Palumbo is, and what a great advantage it was having the Consol virtually on campus, so what is he not getting to be competitive?  Everything I have head from him has been positive about the support he is getting so what is missing.  He needs to speak up because if he fails and complains later that he could not be successful because of X, Y or Z it will ring like a hallow excuse.  I know he has spoken about the investments by other Univerities, but never heard him say what exactly he wants or still needs from DU.  Short of tearing down Palumbo and building a more expensive facility what exactly is still needed at DU?  He needs to speak up if there are specific things he needs without which are roadblock to him being the next level coach and getting DU to the NCAA that he was hired to do.

Great questions. I worry that Amodio and Ferry are more concerned about leveling expectations than winning. I would think their contracts offer enough security for them to "dream" openly about the things they think they need, or would like to have, for the program. I hardly think there are any consequences for doing that. In fact, one of Greg's millionaires club benefactors might even step up and give it to them, assuming it's not Madison Square Garden.

5/12/2015 3:38 pm  #4

Winning and leveling the playing field are directly related. It is the chicken and the egg theory. The same constant road block that coaches/teams at Duquesnd have faced for 40 years. Does that mean it cannot be done? Of course not.

We all know we will never have the best facilities in the A10, but from what I can see nothing has been done to the arena other than paint (and finally getting rid of the wooden bleachers).

I have heard that Ferry was told there would be significant commitment to the facility. And numerous companies have come into AJP. And not much has been done at all. And what has been done, took 3 years and recruiting classes later to be completed.

I doubt Ferry would come out to the media and say specifically what they are coming up short with, but that doesn't mean he hasn't told the administration what is neccesary.

Meanwhile, the school builds a multi million dollar music theater? No knock on the music theater, but does the school want to raise its profile through music or athletics?

Duquesne will always be behind other A10 schools recruiting wise because of its like of name recognition. Let's be honest, it is not a sexy pick in this day and age of social media obsession. It is barely even pronounceable for most people who aren't alumni or associated with the school. Thus,  It cannot afford to be signicantly behind in other areas.

5/12/2015 4:20 pm  #5

NJIT handed us our @$$e@ on our court this year. How do you compare us to NJIT in terms of:
1. Brand recognition? I live in NJ. No one here even remotely cares about NJIT.
2. Facilities? I've seen their gym. My basement is a more suitable facility.

Yes, the University needs to step it up WRT the facility, but that should be Amodio's job. He really hasn't done the most stellar job of helping his coach in the past, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his help. RE won here despite Amodio; in fact, you could say he won IN SPITE of him. I can't help you with the politics; all I can say is take the kids you get and do a better job coaching them. If you're lucky, Amodio's boss will figure it out and get you the help you need.

5/12/2015 6:03 pm  #6

DukesFan79, you are obviously "a source close to the Program" to have first hand knowledge of players GPA, so again my question, specifically what is it that Ferry was promised or said he needed that has not been provided.  The term "facilities" covers a lot of things.  Clearly a bigger facility is not needed as most games the Palumbo is only 1/4 full.  More seat improvements? It seems to me that access to the Consol goes a long way towards leveling the playing field. So short of tearing Palumbo down and building a new facility what is it that Ferry wants / needs?  Maybe we can help him make his case to get it.  There are folks on the Athletic Committee that read this Board.  We know Dr. Dougherty reads this Board (not that he cares anymore like the departing RMU President). What is it specifically?

BTW the name recognition thing is a new excuse I had not heard before.

5/12/2015 6:43 pm  #7

I did not have knowledge of any specific GPAs, only that the program was in rough shape and in danger of APR (Academic Progress Rate) penalty.

In terms of the arena, I would agree that the size of the current space is more than fine. However, it can be modernized as much as possible to assist with recruiting and game day experience for fans and donors.

i.e. seat improvements, suite additions, renovation of the "Presidents Suite", anything that assists in the overall improvement of the presentation of the facility. Improving all lobbies, hallways, entrances, concourse, bathroom, anywhere that a recruit/donor/fan would use. This is what programs truly committed to their programs does.

It seems that when small improvements are made and not all at once, it outdates the remaining areas and does not  complete a unified, modern appearance.

Winning brings fans is the bottom line. But the experience fans and donors have at games and events is also extremely in proving commitment level to its supporters. A small time operation gets small time support and small time results. These are the things somewhat behind the scenes that are not public knowledge like a coaches salary or contract often is.

5/12/2015 10:43 pm  #8

NJIT is also not committed to their basketball team. Thats why they are the ONLY school in college basketball that does not belong to a conference. Thats why UM lowell got into the AM East instead of NJIT. Ive never been to NJIT but I did watch the game last year and it didnt look very nice. Im sure NJIT is probbaly mad too because they lost out on some serious money. Although i dont know they wouldve won the american east and get the $1.67 million from the NCAA and the brand recongnition, although they did recognition from beating michgan however they lost to U albany twice, they are still missing out the revenue generated from a league. AND the reason they didnt get into the American east is because they have crappy facilites. They play in a auxilary gym. Lowell got into the conference because they can play at their hockey arena. NJIT did get lucky and have a good year and make the CIT or CBI, but it must still be extremely hard to recruit to NJIT as they are not in a league, and thats why the sucked the past few years. However i hope the dukes do get lucky and can make the NCAA, it would be a lot easier if they rennovated the palumbo for recruiting purposes. Until charlie leaves it wont happen, he would rather build a new performance theater for the next frank sinatra. LOL

5/13/2015 4:23 am  #9

Sinatra's also a Jersey boy, AJ. I believe Montclair State (home of Carol Blazejowski and Sam Mills) named something after Frankie. Maybe a Bobby Vinton wing?

Board footera