Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2015 2:42 pm  #1

Two '16 Offers Today

Jaylen Fornes ‏@JayFornes_ 49m49 minutes ago Raleigh, NC Blessed to have received an offer from Duquesne

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jaylen-fornes

Florida Elite ‏@Florida_Elite 2h2 hours ago 2016 Guard Keon Clergeot just received an offer from Duquesne University. Stock is continuing to rise.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/keon-clergeot

Last edited by CLK (5/08/2015 2:49 pm)

5/08/2015 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Two '16 Offers Today

You forgot to add "Ferry steps up."

5/08/2015 6:26 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

You forgot to add "Ferry steps up."

LOL!!

5/13/2015 10:24 am  #4

Are we ever going to " step up" and sign or offer someone that isn't a guard or bigger than 6'5". With McCoy gone look at next years roster where is the size?  As ED has pointed out with Gill playing a catch and shoot guard position and Powell showing an aversion to defense and rebounding there is a ton of work to be done and IMHO a real need to get some size.

5/13/2015 10:37 am  #5

The Dome wrote:

Are we ever going to " step up" and sign or offer someone that isn't a guard or bigger than 6'5". With McCoy gone look at next years roster where is the size? As ED has pointed out with Gill playing a catch and shoot guard position and Powell showing an aversion to defense and rebounding there is a ton of work to be done and IMHO a real need to get some size.

Unfortunately, there aren't many 6'9" people around, and the good ones are snatched up by the big programs. This leaves projects like Lewis, or guys who are lacking in one thing or another. How many really good players have we had over the last 30 years who were 6'8", or taller? Alston, and Achara are the only two that come to mind. Our other good "bigs" were 6"7", and 6'6" guys like Saunders, or Kevin Price, who had to play out of position due to a dearth of true bigs. This is why I had no problem with Ferry putting Lewis out there last year. The potential payoff could be huge if he can step up his game just a little, and he can't get better glued to the bench.

5/13/2015 11:52 am  #6

On the roster now: Lewis (6'10), Robinson (big 6'8), Gill (big 6-7/6-8), Powell (6'5/6'6). Coming in: Sanders (6'8). That's five guys for two positions, four of whom have started games here. Sanders is highly rated (sorry, no scouting report). And we have a 6'8 preferred walk-on. I don't see a lot of PT for the next 2 years, unless there's a real stud out there who's going to push everyone else aside. So I think the best we can do is a project who would have to sit out a year, and we've been playing with a thin roster, so why not recruit for other needs now? Go for more big men when Lewis and Gill are seniors?

5/13/2015 9:09 pm  #7

Last year this team was weak defensively and got beat consistently on the boards I see absolutely nothing to show me that is going to change. Ferry's mode of operation appears to be out scoring the opposition that may have worked in the NEC I don't see that happening. The preferred walk on is a definite stretch who I have seen many times. Duq81, the transfer list were filled with big men along with the graduation listings. I know most staffs where aware that the Ivy League was furtial ground since they have a rule preventing 5th year players. Look at the 6'9" player Pitt signed out of Brown. BTW just learned we lost out on Nicola Akele (6'7") to Rhody after losing 6'8" Jesse Bunting to Fordham. This league as I said before appears to be getting bigger and stronger. I don't see us wanting to head in that direction.

Last edited by The Dome (5/13/2015 9:23 pm)

5/13/2015 10:27 pm  #8

The Dome wrote:

Last year this team was weak defensively and got beat consistently on the boards I see absolutely nothing to show me that is going to change. Ferry's mode of operation appears to be out scoring the opposition that may have worked in the NEC I don't see that happening. The preferred walk on is a definite stretch who I have seen many times. Duq81, the transfer list were filled with big men along with the graduation listings. I know most staffs where aware that the Ivy League was furtial ground since they have a rule preventing 5th year players. Look at the 6'9" player Pitt signed out of Brown. BTW just learned we lost out on Nicola Akele (6'7") to Rhody after losing 6'8" Jesse Bunting to Fordham. This league as I said before appears to be getting bigger and stronger. I don't see us wanting to head in that direction.

We're not going to be beating out Pitt for players, so why bring that up. After we signed the kid from England, we didn't have a spot for Akele. What are they supposed to do? They had several offers out there. When the kid from England said yes, they took him. If you try to make him wait, you might get neither.

5/14/2015 10:39 am  #9

Duq81 sorry I disagree on the player who only has a year left to play. He is looking for playing time and the ability to win and possibly get to the tourney. My question is with what kind of player are we putting forth the most effort to get. That's all I'm asking.  I know we hear about building it right and all that BS but let's face it as is being said on other threads next year is make or break as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by The Dome (5/14/2015 10:40 am)

5/14/2015 10:55 am  #10

DOME:  WHILE THERE IS LITTLE ARGUMENT ABOUT THE DEFENSE (OR LACK THEREOF) OF THE TEAM LAST YEAR, BE CORRECT ON YOUR FACTS WHEN YOU SAY THE TEAM WAS CONSISTENTLY OUT-REBOUNDED.  NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.  THE REBOUNDS FOR THE DUKES AND THE OPPONENTS WAS EXACTLY THE SAME-1124 TO 1124 OR 36.3 PER GAME EACH.  WHAT WE NEED FROM OUR "BIGS" IS BETTER DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE.  FERRY HAD, IN MY OPINION, TWO OPTIONS FOR HIS LAST SCHOLARSHIP: (1) GO ALL IN FOR AKELE; OR (2) TAKE THE BEST PLAYER IN ENGLAND.  HE ENDED UP WITH OPTION 2.  WE'LL NEVER KNOW WHY AKELE DID NOT END UP AT DUQUESNE.  I REALLY DON'T CARE. WITH THE FIVE INSIDE KIDS WE HAVE, WE ARE BIG AND STRONG ENOUGH. WHO WOULD AKELE HAVE STARTED AHEAD OF? LEWIS?  GILL?  ROBINSON? SANDERS? POWELL?  i'M SATISFIED FERRY AND HIS STAFF ARE PUTTING FORTH THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF EFFORT TO GET THE PLAYERS THEY PERCEIVE FIT THE PIECES OF THEIR BASKETBALL PUZZLE.  MAYBE NOT YOURS OR MINE, BUT THEIRS. I THINK THEY KNOW A LOT MORE THAN ME ABOUT COLLEGE PLAYERS.

5/14/2015 1:01 pm  #11

Grammy the devil is in the details, the team was out rebounded on the offensive boards by 30 for the season and the number one rebounder by a wide margin (McCoy) is no longer on the roster.  The next 3 in order are Jeremiah, Gill and Micah!!!!!  I guess a more concise question would be did you ever feel once last year this team was physically or mentally tough enough. BTW questioning the teams toughness came right from Ferry's own mouth early in the year.

5/14/2015 1:16 pm  #12

Grammy no need to shout (ALL CAPs).  You are going to bust a finger that way.

I do not know if you had read the articles on Ankele or watch the videos on him, but he projected to be a SF not a 4 or 5.  He is exactly the type of SF that DU sorley lacks.  A tall (6'7) long mobile big who defends well and looks to be a good three point shooter.  To answer you question he would have taken some of Jones minutes next year.  He had a lot of big time interest, so I am not sure how much interest he had in DU.  Since he signed with URI we will see how he develps.

Last edited by CLK (5/14/2015 1:18 pm)

5/14/2015 4:40 pm  #13

I didn't shout.  Bold is shouting!!  The caps were stricly by acccident.  I was too lazy to change the font after I started my though processes in answering Dome's post about rebounds.  Anyway, we have Eric James at 6'4-5", Marq'well Jackson at 6'5' and Steel at 6'4" who are projected to be 3's. (Steel is projected as a 1, 2 or 3, depending on which articles are read)  And we have the incumbent 6'3" Jere Jones whom very few seem to like.  If any of them can approach a Billy Clark-type mindset on the floor (a guy who never takes a play off) and has a modicum of 3 point ability, then that person fits my definition of a 3.  Be that as it may, there are decent options at the 3. To answer Dome's question about whether I sense physical and mental toughness, I say no as to some of the players who do not need to be identified.   I did not perceive any absence of talent-rather an absence of heart!  Hopefully, they too understand that and will make appropriate adjustments to their respective games.

5/14/2015 6:28 pm  #14

Grammy I actually like the word heart a lot better.  I also said nothing about talent since I like you believe it's there I'm more concerned with size. I couldn't agree with CLK more 3 thru 5 is a big problem going forward. There is no Domo on the horizon.

Last edited by The Dome (5/14/2015 6:33 pm)

Board footera