Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2015 7:14 am  #1

Dukes to Play at Georgia Tech

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   2h2 hours ago Georgia Tech will host Duquesne on Tuesday 12/29/15 as part of its non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports.

5/15/2015 8:45 am  #2

Re: Dukes to Play at Georgia Tech

Could this be a off shoot of the A-10, ACC deal for access to Brooklyn for the ACC tourney?  I wouldn't have believed we would sniff anything from that deal. Should provide a nice payday and give us a shot at a big time win.

5/15/2015 8:59 am  #3

Part of the deal for the A-10 to give up the Barclay's for the ACC to hold their tournament at that venue was that the A-10 and ACC would play a series of "challenge" games similar to what the ACC and Big-10 now do.  I may be wrong but my recollection is that this is a two year arrangement (2016 and 2017-remember that the A-1- tournament is scheduled for Consol in 2017) that lasts while the ACC uses Barclay's for their tournament. The package includes sharing of TV revenues!  It was a coup that Bernadette McGlade engineered for the A-10.  If Georgia Tech arranged the game with the Dukes this year in anticipation of that arrangement, then hats off to them.  Maybe, just maybe, the game is scheduled with the idea of  a return engagement at Consol in 2016.  Boy, wouldn't that be nice.

5/15/2015 9:16 am  #4

I don't think it is part of the A10/ACC challenge as Rothstein said they will host us, so I'm assuming it's gonna be played in ATL. the challenge games are at Barclays. I think this is a winnable game too.

5/15/2015 9:43 am  #5

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the cahllenge games, as I understood how they came about with the relinquishment of Barclay's by the A-10 to the ACC, were to be a series of individual match-ups on campus sites or at venues like Consol, not as a group at Barclay's.  The challenge games are not until 2016 and 2017!  In looking at Georgia Tech's record last year and their current roster (even with the additon of VA Tech's leading scorer Adam Smith), I believe too it can be a winnable game.  Anyway it's good to get a game like this on our schedule. home or away.

Last edited by grammudder (5/15/2015 9:44 am)

5/15/2015 9:53 am  #6

Former Dayton Flyers Coach Brian Gregory is the Head Coach at Georgia Tech, and I see Tom Herrion a former Pitt asst coach is also on the staff.  Perhaps that gave us a foot in the door to get on the schedule.  I see that they had only 3 Seniors on the roster last season, so they were a young team that should get better.

5/15/2015 11:24 am  #7

Very good addition to the schedule. This is a game we should be competitive in. Unless GT is horrible, it ought to be a boost to our RPI at the end of the season, as ACC teams are rarely above 200 in the ratings. They likely consider us to be a decent cupcake, that probably won't win, but who will end up being decent enough not to be a drag on their RPI.

5/15/2015 11:29 am  #8

Also according to a Rothstein tweet:

Pitt will face Duquesne on Friday 12/4/15 at the Consol Energy Center, source told @CBSSports.

Board footera