Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2015 12:42 pm  #1

Off-season hoop coverage

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college/dukes-dispatches/44270-jim-ferry-discusses-duquesne-s-2015-recruiting-class

Ferry on the recruiting class. I know Smith's coming in now, but I tend to think of him as part of next year's class, just as I see Jackson and Castro as part of this year's class.

5/18/2015 1:04 pm  #2

Re: Off-season hoop coverage

This is a season where you really don't know what to expect. It wouldn't shock me if there was little to no improvement. That said, there are enough potential plusses, that it also wouldn't shock me if the team broke through in a major way. I do like the fact that Ferry hasn't tried to load up for a one year thing like many coaches do. Build to have 6-7 seniors one year, and hope to have a big year, then leave as the program collapses after all of the seniors leave. If, and it's a big if, this team becomes good, it will be good for more than just one year, which is what you need if you really want to become one of the league powers, as opposed to just having an occasional good year. Stringing good years together allows you to upgrade your recruiting, which is what it takes if you want to become a VCU type of program.

5/18/2015 2:56 pm  #3

Re: Off-season hoop coverage

I think you need to have Tarin Smith running the ship before it can sail into clearer waters. Yeah, I'm guilty of relying on what someone else sees in him, but it's a trusted source and I believe he will develop into a top-flight A-10 PG. Let's hope he and Rene Castro click. I think Lewis will continue to show incremental improvement. So you have a legit big man the next two seasons. Robinson has no place to go but up. Gill has a lot of potential if he's willing to bang and not hang. Colter and Mason as seniors should be akin to Clayton Adams and Tony Petrarca (did I get the right pairing?) in terms of mighty might PG and hired gun. Last year I thought Mason was a superior shooter but this past season? Meh. I'll put it this way: If game in, game out, we can say we trust Colter, Mason, Gill, and maybe James to drop a dime (10 points, not a Mafia execution) or more, and Robinson, Jones, Jackson and Lewis to kick in 5, 6, 7 a game, and we see some defense, we might can have a shot at finishing near .500.

Board footera