Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2015 8:04 am  #1

Men's APR for Basketball

Per today's Post Gazette our APR is 946 which is 16 points above the 930 mark. 930 is the cutoff below which various levels of ineligibility penalties would be applied. Pitt scored 1,000. Bobby Mo is at 935 (Ha!). WVU clocked in at 978. My immediate comment is what the heck are they offering at Pitt in the way of classes? My next comment is shouldn't we be much higher than 946? Wasn't this the main reason Coach E was let go? For reference purposes, 930 indicates a 50% graduation rate.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/28/2015 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Men's APR for Basketball

Let's ask the Athletic Director.  So, what is the answer Mr. Amodio?

5/28/2015 4:50 pm  #3

KenOTR73 wrote:

Per today's Post Gazette our APR is 946 which is 16 points above the 930 mark. 930 is the cutoff below which various levels of ineligibility penalties would be applied. Pitt scored 1,000. Bobby Mo is at 935 (Ha!). WVU clocked in at 978. My immediate comment is what the heck are they offering at Pitt in the way of classes? My next comment is shouldn't we be much higher than 946? Wasn't this the main reason Coach E was let go? For reference purposes, 930 indicates a 50% graduation rate.

I believe this is based on a period of several years. If so, the high level of turnover as Ferry eased out RE's players likely depressed our numbers. I'm sure they were aware of this, and took steps to make sure we didn't drop below the line, which is what really matters.

5/28/2015 5:54 pm  #4

According to our friend DukesFan79 who evidently is in a position to know:  “In order for schools to submit the data for each year, the scores for each year are from the following year. This is common knowledge..... Additionally, the schools APR reflect an entire programs score after the fact (meaning the finished product).....APR takes into account GPAs and also TRANSFERS. Teams lose points for both.” 

Ron's last three years were 956, 953 and 946.  The 946 score was for 2013 (which is based on 2012 scores actually Ferry's first year but score ascribed to Ron).  Based on the PG article the 2014 score remains unchanged at 946 (based on 2013 score which was Ferry’s second year and includes a mix or Ferry and Ron player transfers). It is my understanding that the most recent NCAA rule change requires a minimum 940 average over the most recent two years, which the Dukes meet.  It will be interesting starting next year to see if the score rises, and equally important to see if Ferry can turn the corner and have a winning season.  The blame it on Ron excise will not be available for either of those two items if he fails.

Last edited by CLK (5/28/2015 5:59 pm)

5/28/2015 7:52 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

According to our friend DukesFan79 who evidently is in a position to know:  “In order for schools to submit the data for each year, the scores for each year are from the following year. This is common knowledge..... Additionally, the schools APR reflect an entire programs score after the fact (meaning the finished product).....APR takes into account GPAs and also TRANSFERS. Teams lose points for both.” 

Ron's last three years were 956, 953 and 946.  The 946 score was for 2013 (which is based on 2012 scores actually Ferry's first year but score ascribed to Ron).  Based on the PG article the 2014 score remains unchanged at 946 (based on 2013 score which was Ferry’s second year and includes a mix or Ferry and Ron player transfers). It is my understanding that the most recent NCAA rule change requires a minimum 940 average over the most recent two years, which the Dukes meet.  It will be interesting starting next year to see if the score rises, and equally important to see if Ferry can turn the corner and have a winning season.  The blame it on Ron excise will not be available for either of those two items if he fails.

Transfers have become an epidemic across D1. When was the last season we didn't have at least 2 players transfer out? I can't remember.

5/28/2015 8:20 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Transfers have become an epidemic across D1. When was the last season we didn't have at least 2 players transfer out? I can't remember.

Speaking of transfers T.J. has participated in a tryout for the Lakers. They have the no. 2 pick overall but they also have two additional late first round picks. Lakers already have a pretty good PG in Clarkson - made all Rookie Team. But you never know.
Here is a quote from the article:
Of the group that worked out Tuesday, McConnell may be the best known. He was voted first-team All-Pac 12 last season, leading the Wildcats to their second straight Elite Eight berth. With a Final Four berth on the line, Arizona lost to Wisconsin at Staples Center a year after losing to the Badgers at the Honda Center.

Trying to catch the eye of NBA teams is a significant challenge, McConnell said.

“You’ve got to try probably 500 times harder to try to stand out and do something different and that’s what I’m trying to do,” he said. “Just play hard and run a team and know my role and knock down open shots.”

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/29/2015 6:10 am  #7

TJ may in fact be drafted, or get a FA look in the NBA. At this point I wish him well.you never know, 20 years from now he coaches the Dukes as his first head college gig.

We made the grade, that's what matters. Now, just win.

5/30/2015 3:52 pm  #8

Interesting post in the PG today about APR -  Rules are "supposedly" changing in 2016 (I'll believe it when it happens)  Would need a 2.3 GPA (instead of 2.0) and addtional Core Courses -  Reportedly if the rules were in effect recently 43% of the Hoopers would NOT be eligible. (figure was  35% for football)   Makes me wonder WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO ALL THE ONE-RS AND DONE-RS??  NBA rules have minimum age requirements -  wonder how many of the "one-rs and done-ers" are in that 43% -  Are they ALL going to Europe for a year??

5/30/2015 11:51 pm  #9

SkepticAl wrote:

Interesting post in the PG today about APR -  Rules are "supposedly" changing in 2016 (I'll believe it when it happens)  Would need a 2.3 GPA (instead of 2.0) and addtional Core Courses -  Reportedly if the rules were in effect recently 43% of the Hoopers would NOT be eligible. (figure was  35% for football)   Makes me wonder WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO ALL THE ONE-RS AND DONE-RS??  NBA rules have minimum age requirements -  wonder how many of the "one-rs and done-ers" are in that 43% -  Are they ALL going to Europe for a year??

The NBA needs to set up, and fund a legit minor league system, and leave college ball to those who really want to be there. I'm tired of hearing how horrible it is for 18 year olds to be pros. I didn't hear a peep when Mario, and Sid came to the Pens at 18, or when Malkin, and Jagr came over at 18, not speaking a word of English. Didn't they need to go to college too?

5/31/2015 8:41 am  #10

I agree -  It's kind of funny when people like Dickie V are almost "hyperventilating" when some of these kids come out early -  Yet what about the high school baseballer drafted in the 37th round by say the Marlins decides to sign -  Does any one scream about him "missing the college education"  I'm sure each major league team probably signs a few of these each year (and for SIGNIFICANTLY LESS money that the ones Dickie is screaming about) and the baseball "prospect" is facing MUCH larger odds than the hooper!! 

Take Sam Dekker from Wisconsin -  is he a "sure pro" ?  Questionable -  As far as developing the basketball skills is he better off with UNLIMITED practice time, better nutrition advice etc - or the 32 minutes against Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska etc?? 

IF you are interested in the College Education provided - by all means attend the university of your choice - stay for the four years etc.  IF you do experience a financial hardship then you may wish to leave early.

But for the others to paraphrase Chuck Noll  "TIME TO GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE'S WORK!!"

5/31/2015 10:16 am  #11

SkepticAl wrote:

I agree -  It's kind of funny when people like Dickie V are almost "hyperventilating" when some of these kids come out early -  Yet what about the high school baseballer drafted in the 37th round by say the Marlins decides to sign -  Does any one scream about him "missing the college education"  I'm sure each major league team probably signs a few of these each year (and for SIGNIFICANTLY LESS money that the ones Dickie is screaming about) and the baseball "prospect" is facing MUCH larger odds than the hooper!! 

Take Sam Dekker from Wisconsin -  is he a "sure pro" ?  Questionable -  As far as developing the basketball skills is he better off with UNLIMITED practice time, better nutrition advice etc - or the 32 minutes against Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska etc?? 

IF you are interested in the College Education provided - by all means attend the university of your choice - stay for the four years etc.  IF you do experience a financial hardship then you may wish to leave early.

But for the others to paraphrase Chuck Noll  "TIME TO GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE'S WORK!!"

You nailed it Al! 17 year old kids are sent to the minors every year. Some have signed for big money, some for peanuts. No one cares! Plenty of opportunities for these kids to get in trouble. No one cares, because few care about college baseball! The NBA only cares about the fact that they don't have to fund a minor league system, and that the college system produces players who are already known by the public, making it easy to market them as rookies.
We constantly hear that these kids are making a terrible mistake to go pro. Young people make life altering mistakes every day. It's part of the risk of living.

Board footera