Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2015 9:53 pm  #51

Re: Amodio to Quinnipiac

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

No matter who they hire, it will be years before this can be turned around. The coach is here for the remainder of his contract, the talent level is medicore at best, the facility is still mediocre at best. I don't think this hire will bring immediate change to a program that is slowly dying again.

There's always someone to throw the wet blanket on the celebration.

I would never tell anyone not to be optimistic. But I've seen this train wreck over and over for most of the last 30 years. I think being realistic saves you from great frustration and major disappointment.

Last edited by rittersdiner (6/10/2015 9:54 pm)

6/11/2015 6:11 am  #52

CLK wrote:

CLK wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Agree. You can't afford to have someone and give OJT training. What successful current AD at any level is going to come to DU?

I can't even see Coleman at RMU giving them any consideration? What do people think of EJ Borghetti at Pitt? Tremendous rep with the media. Associate AD. I really like to see them target him.

No assistant.  Someone with a track record at the helm.  Money talks in landing the right AD.  But that is only part of the answer.  There needs to be a commitment by the University to athletic excellence.  By that I mean there needs to be a plan, and funding, to make DU competitive in terms of resources and facilities. I really believe DU is a sleeping giant in need of proper leadership and funding.  DU  should complete a "needs assessment", and do it right.  With demonstrated good faith in hand in the form of funding plans I am sure DU could attract the right AD.

There is a search committee looking for a President right now, chaired by board chair Marie Milie Jones.  Now is the time to send letters and emails to them emphasizing the need for excellence overall as well as men's basketball and the value that can bring to DU. 

6/11/2015 6:40 am  #53

The draw is simple, in my uneducated opinion. Here's a program that should be further along. The administration has certainly been an albatross, but a capable person sees an opportunity to present the admin with a viable plan for future, sustained success. A business case. I don't know enough about what has gone on the past 10 years. I can only judge from what I've seen, heard and read. If the Everhart memo was any indication of how Amodio typically did things, if the pursuit of Dambrot was an example, then I understand why the admin didn't buy into what he was selling. In 10 years, he really deflated the Duquesne athletic brand in many ways. Someone of more substance and capability will see that, and will be able to make a difference.

Why not a former coach who's at the end of his coaching days? A guy like Ben Howland, for example. Someone who knows what a winning program looks like.

I think we need a real basketball guy or woman this time.

6/11/2015 7:09 am  #54

ElDuque wrote:

The draw is simple, in my uneducated opinion. Here's a program that should be further along. The administration has certainly been an albatross, but a capable person sees an opportunity to present the admin with a viable plan for future, sustained success. A business case. I don't know enough about what has gone on the past 10 years. I can only judge from what I've seen, heard and read. If the Everhart memo was any indication of how Amodio typically did things, if the pursuit of Dambrot was an example, then I understand why the admin didn't buy into what he was selling. In 10 years, he really deflated the Duquesne athletic brand in many ways. Someone of more substance and capability will see that, and will be able to make a difference.

Why not a former coach who's at the end of his coaching days? A guy like Ben Howland, for example. Someone who knows what a winning program looks like.

Ben Howland is at Mississippi St.

6/11/2015 7:15 am  #55

I think the hiring of a new AD be it good or bad is being handled as a seperate event from the Presidential search. There are elements of the board that are well aware of the need to step up I'm just not sure they can or will win the battle.

6/11/2015 8:04 am  #56

Mulder wrote:

CLK wrote:

CLK wrote:

No assistant.  Someone with a track record at the helm.  Money talks in landing the right AD.  But that is only part of the answer.  There needs to be a commitment by the University to athletic excellence.  By that I mean there needs to be a plan, and funding, to make DU competitive in terms of resources and facilities. I really believe DU is a sleeping giant in need of proper leadership and funding.  DU  should complete a "needs assessment", and do it right.  With demonstrated good faith in hand in the form of funding plans I am sure DU could attract the right AD.

There is a search committee looking for a President right now, chaired by board chair Marie Milie Jones.  Now is the time to send letters and emails to them emphasizing the need for excellence overall as well as men's basketball and the value that can bring to DU. 

Mulder I think this is a good idea to let the search committee know that athletic excellence needs to be a priority as well as academic excellence.  Pride in the University comes from tangible things that alums can see.  Alums are tired of the image of DU of being a "Loser" that they read in the press and on the internet related to their primary sport of mens basketball.  If you provide an email address I will send my comments, and hope others will as well.  We need to seize this opportunity to see if it can make a difference.  As Dome said there are elements on the Board that get it, but others who need to understand.  DU is no different than Dayton or Xavier in terms of potential.
It is time to break the chains and move forward.

6/11/2015 8:13 am  #57

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Whoever the next AD maybe they have a huge uphill battle. The staff new or current has to work 24/7 to bring back respectability. Maybe the new hire outside the box a Pittsburgh kid please no New Yorkers (Coleary & Amodio). National connections pro sport universities TV etc. hire staff to do the everyday jobs. If Charlie forced GAs hand Thankyou! It's a shame Tom Donuhoe is not a little younger but indeed he would get people's attention especially in Pittsburgh. If not find a Pittsburgh guy who has experience on a national basis.

Tom Donahoe!?? You mean the guy Bill Cowher had to get run off before the Steelers could win. You mean the "this isn't the Salvation Army" guy? I'd hire Steve Pederson first, and he was a clown.
You really want an out of the box suggestion; Dave Wandstedt. Wanny is in many ways the Ron Everhart of Pitt. Similar sucess at a hard place to win, and fired under similar circumstances. Super nice guy who is well liked locally. (I'd suggest Ron, but I think he's got another head coaching job coming soon).

Tom Donahoe GM 2 NFL franchises former AD Football & basketball coach Pittsburgh guy. Local media loves him. The Steeler situation with Cowher  you do not know the real story. All I am saying is this mens program is on stage 4 cancer. Do you want another radio salesmen from a catholic U who makes promises he can't keep because he does not understand the market or fan base. Duquesne needs a quick fix stop the downhill spiral then regroup. I would love Ron as a coach not AD. By the way to get top players the universities pay 300,000. Duquesne athletics can't raise 50,000. Again you don't need a cookie AD assist. Need Experience in all aspects. RMU hired a Physician get my point!

6/11/2015 9:40 am  #58

I actually like your suggestion of Wannestadt.  But unsold on what he would bring to bb operations.

The more I think of it while a current AD as CLK suggests would be the best option, I don't think we will see that happen.   I think we will get an associate AD from somewhere.

You know who I would love?   Bernadette McGlade.    I am surprised the A10 has held onto her this long.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/11/2015 9:45 am)

6/11/2015 9:40 am  #59

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Ben Howland is at Mississippi St.

That's why I said a guy like him. :o)

6/11/2015 11:12 am  #60

CLK wrote:

Officer Dribble wrote:

I shouldn't have watched that video while eating dinner.  When the interviewer said that men's basketball was Amodio's "area of expertise," I almost choked on my eggplant.

LOL.  Here is another one you might like on his building expertise.  Interesting that Dejan's article is mentioned on this school site. 

http://theqbsn.com/2015/06/10/greg-amodio-named-new-qu-athletic-director/

Looks like a student newspaper site as opposed to an official site that would actually be run by the school.  Still, it's indeed interesting that they quote Dejan, & from what I can tell, the students were the only ones who did their journalistic duty & dug into what folks in Pittsburgh thought about Amodio's Duquesne tenure.  When I read the CT newspaper articles & the comments from Quinnipiac's President, I have to wonder whether they understand that they're getting the former AD from Duquesne, not Duke.  Interesting that no coaches were consulted on the hiring & few have even met Amodio.  This has disaster written all over it.  But we knew that already.

6/11/2015 11:51 am  #61

Officer Dribble wrote:

CLK wrote:

Officer Dribble wrote:

I shouldn't have watched that video while eating dinner.  When the interviewer said that men's basketball was Amodio's "area of expertise," I almost choked on my eggplant.

LOL.  Here is another one you might like on his building expertise.  Interesting that Dejan's article is mentioned on this school site. 

http://theqbsn.com/2015/06/10/greg-amodio-named-new-qu-athletic-director/

This has disaster written all over it.  But we knew that already.

Funny stuff

6/11/2015 12:13 pm  #62

duqkurt wrote:

I actually like your suggestion of Wannestadt. But unsold on what he would bring to bb operations.

The more I think of it while a current AD as CLK suggests would be the best option, I don't think we will see that happen. I think we will get an associate AD from somewhere.

You know who I would love? Bernadette McGlade. I am surprised the A10 has held onto her this long.

I would love Bernie! She has done a fantastic job with the league.
What I like about Wanny is that people like him. We really need that after the last two clowns. Hiring him would make a splash locally. The media would just eat it up. He would be a great liason to the city. He's just the opposite of guys like Steve Pederson, and Greg Amodio.

I'm waiting for Ron Cook, or Bob Smizik to suggest that we should hire Steve Pederson.

Last edited by duq81 (6/11/2015 12:16 pm)

6/11/2015 1:55 pm  #63

duq81: Former Fordham coach Nick Maccarchuk would be good.

6/11/2015 2:00 pm  #64

Geez, Bilgy, why not Speedy Morris?

6/11/2015 2:14 pm  #65

Bilgy wrote:

duq81: Former Fordham coach Nick Maccarchuk would be good.

Why?

6/11/2015 2:18 pm  #66

Bilgy favors anyone who grew up shooting at peach baskets, is why.

6/11/2015 8:40 pm  #67

Regardless of what we individually think about Greg Amodio's tenure as AD, I find some very troubling aspects about his departure and hire at Quinnipiac. From everything that I have read about the president of Quinnipiac, he appears to be a very sharp New Yorker with a vision of the role of athletics in building Q's brand.  He seems to be a guy that doesn't tolerate failure very well.

The fact that Amodio was able to explain his well documented shortcomings in Men's Basketball and cutting of sports at Duquesne to the satisfaction of this president is telling. I think it points to the root cause of the continued problem being the lack of support and commitment from the highest levels of the University, Dr. Dougherty, Father Hogan and the Board.

Dr. Dougherty has been a complete failure with anything involving Athletics and the Duquesne brand. He and Father Hogan must not take part in any facet of the selection process for a new AD.

BTW, duq81 posted a link in another thread containing the newspaper article on Colleary's departure. It is eerily similar in tone and content as what we have seen coming out of the University on Amodio's departure regarding national search, lack of support, etc. etc.

6/12/2015 4:37 am  #68

Good thoughts Phoenix. But Amodio left while he was still employed. He can take credit for women's BB, the NCAA tournaments, cost cutting, etc. He can talk about the hiring of Ferry, he can spin Everhart any way he wants. I'm sure he has connections who have his back. So him getting the job doesn't surprise me regardless of who the Quinnipiac president is. If he has gone to a football school or otherwise taken a step up, now THAT would have shocked me. I will have something to say about Dougherty later. His silence right now is wrong.

6/12/2015 9:53 am  #69

As duq81 said, Duquesne needs an experienced person who has ended his coaching career to lead the Athletic Department during the interim.  Nick MacCarchuk successfully led Fordham from the Patriot League to the A-10, and then led Stoney Brook into America East.  Someone mentioned Speedy Morris.  Morris did the same thing at La Salle.  He successfully brought the Explorers into the A-10.  Both fit duq81's profile.

6/12/2015 10:35 am  #70

Bilgy wrote:

As duq81 said, Duquesne needs an experienced person who has ended his coaching career to lead the Athletic Department during the interim.  Nick MacCarchuk successfully led Fordham from the Patriot League to the A-10, and then led Stoney Brook into America East.  Someone mentioned Speedy Morris.  Morris did the same thing at La Salle.  He successfully brought the Explorers into the A-10.  Both fit duq81's profile.

Both were epic failures at this level, and both are way too old anyhow.

Board footera