Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2015 7:31 am  #1

6/12/2015 8:16 am  #2

Re: Duquesne begins hunt for next athletic director

I only hope that before they hire anyone, they do the following:
1.  Google all of the news articles written about the person (thankfully, the new home of our former AD may not have done that.)
2.  Ask to SEE proven results and not just hear about them.
3.  Have an opportunity for the coaches to ask this person questions before the final decision is made.
4.  After the hiring, provide an Open House for not just Season ticket holders (of which I am one) but for anyone who is interested in Duquesne Athletics to come and meet the new AD.
5.  Understand that this person will probably need to hire a men's basketball coach if this one doesn't win this year.  He should be on a very short leash.
6.  Permit this person to bring in any and all new staff or let him organize sending a few of these athletic folks to Dale Carnegie training so they actually understand that PEOPLE - SPECTATORS - ALUMNI  are their clients.

6/12/2015 9:35 am  #3

Wouldn't it be a kick in the ass if Racicot got the job?   GA 2.0

6/12/2015 9:37 am  #4

I'm disturbed by the fact that the reporter had to interview people OUTSIDE of Duquesne to write this article. Really bad job on Dr. Dougherty's part.

6/12/2015 12:25 pm  #5

I don't know Racicot at all.  What did he do before this gig?

6/12/2015 12:30 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

I don't know Racicot at all.  What did he do before this gig?

He has moved up the ranks at DU, FAM.  He has been here for most if not all of GA's tenure.  He was credited by the Trib I think, with running the NCAA tournament when it was here.  Being responsible for most of the host obligations.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/12/2015 1:05 pm)

6/12/2015 2:23 pm  #7

I looked up some info - He went to Syracuse - hmmm...

6/12/2015 5:04 pm  #8

He started as an academic advisor. We need someone with an athletic background. No offense. I'm sure he would excel at another administrative post.

6/12/2015 5:07 pm  #9

duqkurt wrote:

Wouldn't it be a kick in the ass if Racicot got the job? GA 2.0

It sure would.  That's exactly why I wanted to see Jarrett named interim AD.  He knows very well who's been part of the problem and he wouldn't be submitting his resume for a permanent hire.  The fact that he's not part of the department at this time is a plus in my mind.  I want to see the house cleaned and someone brought in who knows what must be done to win.  JD has the ability to identify the person who can be successful at Duquesne.  By naming Phil as interim AD, it says to me that those doing the hiring will be fine with GA 2.0.

6/12/2015 7:59 pm  #10

Does anyone know anything about this John Plante guy whose heading the search committee? Anyone ever seen him at a basketball game?

6/13/2015 12:34 pm  #11

It would be hard to find anyone  at Duquesne other than the coaches and Athletic staff that knows anything about running a D-1 program.  I don't know Plante but I believe he is in fundraising.  I understand that it probably makes sense that someone directly tied to the University act as the Committee Chair, just for the convendience of scheduling and having access to the President and Board of Directors.  I would be more concerned if the makeup of the rest of the committee doesn't include some individuals that are not just the usual suspects within the Duquesne family.  By all means if Sean Hogan is in any way involved you can kiss off the whole process and the Basketball Program.  Without outside involvement I have no confidence that they can pick the best candidate available.

6/13/2015 3:08 pm  #12

Here is a photo and bio from Duquesne University Records:John P. PlanteVice President for University AdvancementJohn P. Plante joined Duquesne in January 2007 to oversee all University fund raising, including capital campaigns, foundation and corporate relations, and planned giving, as well as alumni relations, public affairs and government relations. Advancing Our Legacy, the comprehensive campaign for Duquesne University, surpassed its goal of $150 million one year early in December 2011.Prior to his appointment at Duquesne, he was vice president for development and alumni relations at Washington & Jefferson College since 2003. He oversaw the completion of a comprehensive campaign that raised $105 million through June 2006, substantially growing the college's development program.Previously, he held positions as vice president for institutional advancement at the College of Mount St. Joseph, Cincinnati; director of advanced giving and director of development and college relations at the University of Cincinnati Foundation; and vice president of development and finance for Lasallian Schools of Southern California in Pasadena. His corporate experience includes serving as controller for SoPac Development Corp. in Pasadena and accounting manager for TRW Space & Defense Systems in Redondo Beach, Calif.Plante was appointed to the board of trustees at Alderson-Broaddus College in 2011, serving as a member of the executive, finance (chair) and investment committees. He is an active member of the Council for the Advancement & Support of Education, and has served on the boards of numerous nonprofit organizations, including Hamilton County ARC, Boy Scouts of America, Mt. Lebanon Athletic Association, Boys & Girls Club of Southern California, Cathedral College Preparatory High School and Barnhart Academy.A native of the Southern California, Plante is married to Christine Photos and is a resident of Mount Lebanon. He earned a bachelor's degree in accounting from California State University at Los Angeles, and received a master's degree in philanthropy and development from St. Mary's University in Minnesota. 

6/13/2015 5:04 pm  #13

The man seems qualified to run a search committee. Quite a list of accomplishments.

6/13/2015 5:29 pm  #14

Any relation to Jacques?

6/13/2015 7:21 pm  #15

Nickname is "Face".

6/14/2015 7:31 am  #16

Jokes aside, he seems like the right person to lead this search for two reasons:

1. He's been helping the University make money, not figure out ways not to spend it. So his mindset is not to find another "administrator."

2. Out of the process, he and the new AD can work together. We all know the program needs an infusion of big-time cash. Plante may in fact look for someone who knows athletics AND has some fundraising jibs.

6/14/2015 8:15 am  #17

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Nickname is "Face".

Are you saying that this guy is "Face", who used to be a regular poster? If so, I really like it. We all think we know everything anyway, so why shouldn't one of "us" be in charge.

6/14/2015 1:19 pm  #18

"Face Plante"

Board footera