Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2015 8:45 pm  #1

Duquesne attendance decreased in 2015

Duquesne attendance decreased in 2015Written by Craig Meyer on Monday, 06 July 2015 3:44 pm.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college/dukes-dispatches/44502-duquesne-attendance-decreased-in-2015

Not like this was a surprise to anyone with the product that was being sold.  Who wants to pay to see DU getting the butts smacked by the like of St. Francis and UMES at home.  This has to change next year. 

7/06/2015 9:01 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne attendance decreased in 2015

My son lives in Virginia.  They got higher attendance at high school games.  Duquesne should be embarassed, but since a lame duck President decides to renew the contract of a Head Men's coach with three losing seasons this won't be a bump on his um...nose.

7/06/2015 9:33 pm  #3

WDUQ, the Tammies, the basketball program. Dougherty has one year left to raze the Bluff, level Old Main, and change the name of the University. Might as well.

7/07/2015 8:18 am  #4

You could also add the dismantling of the baseball program to that list.  It all ties in with my posts in the thread regarding Amodio's departure a few weeks ago.  They apparently have a model in mind for Duquesne that is quite different from the University that we came to know.  Traditions have been destroyed in the process, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just let basketball wilt on the vine until they can present a case to shut it down.  They will carry on the charade for several years, coaches and the new AD will play along, because they will be getting paid a tidy sum to speak the company line, but I don't believe there is anyone in a position of influence at Duquesne who has the willingness to do what it takes to return the basketball program to prominence; just one man's opinion.
But we now have a Women's Bowling Program as of the announcement last week.  This is a little odd since I believe they removed the bowling lanes from the Student Union several years ago.  Perhaps they can turn the Palumbo into the Bowling Center.  They can name it after Father Hogan.

Last edited by levon1975 (7/07/2015 12:03 pm)

7/07/2015 12:11 pm  #5

A fellow alumnus chided me recently because I said I wasn't a fan of the program any more, and I've been active on the board since the season ended. I'm still not back to the point where I can call myself a fan. I think a 3-6 start or something like that will send me packing again. I'm having a hard time thinking of myself as a fan of the university. Since I stopped supporting the basketball program I started contributing to one of the academic segments. Exchanged a couple emails with the Dean of the program about doing more from time and skills perspective. Even sent a couple open job reqs for interested students. Haven't heard anything back since. So guess what? They got nothing this year too.

I'm past the disappointed stage. I'm trying to remain open minded towards the new president and the new AD, and towards Ferry's ability to deliver the goods. But man, it's tough.

So Levon, I guess women's bowling doesn't get your juices going, huh?

7/07/2015 2:38 pm  #6

I could respond in a variety of ways to that query, but better left for a private message. I'll just say, that I probably won't be following our recruiting for bowling, or anxiously awaiting the home opener; unless they have a pierogi night!

7/13/2015 11:22 am  #7

See, the basketball fans at Duquesne are pretty smart. Flocking to see seton Hill? Nah. Not happening. Can't fool us.

7/13/2015 7:58 pm  #8

rittersdiner wrote:

See, the basketball fans at Duquesne are pretty smart. Flocking to see seton Hill? Nah. Not happening. Can't fool us.

Seton Hill is a D2 opener. Tons of teams open with a team like that. We played the University of DC Ron's last year, and that win was the only reason we had a winning record. Last year we played Bluefield State. Other D 2 games in recent years were against the likes of;
Abilene Christian
Bluefield State
Nicholls State
and you old guys can't forget those great victories over the likes of Steubenville, and Wheeling.

7/13/2015 8:17 pm  #9

Michigan made the National Championship game in 2012-2013 and opened that season against Slippery Rock in a non exhibition game.

7/14/2015 8:27 am  #10

DukesFan79 wrote:

Michigan made the National Championship game in 2012-2013 and opened that season against Slippery Rock in a non exhibition game.

Some folks just want something to complain about. There's plenty to complain about with this program, but opening with Seton Hill isn't one of them.

7/14/2015 11:30 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Seton Hill is a D2 opener. Tons of teams open with a team like that. We played the University of DC Ron's last year, and that win was the only reason we had a winning record. Last year we played Bluefield State. Other D 2 games in recent years were against the likes of;
Abilene Christian
Bluefield State
Nicholls State
and you old guys can't forget those great victories over the likes of Steubenville, and Wheeling.

Missing my point. Nearly all the OOC schedule is bad. Mississippi Valley State, UMBC, South Carolina State. These home games do not draw fans. Why not try to get some MAC teams, or OSU to play a 2-for-1 serries?

7/14/2015 8:31 pm  #12

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Abilene Christian
Bluefield State
Nicholls State

Missing my point. Nearly all the OOC schedule is bad. Mississippi Valley State, UMBC, South Carolina State. These home games do not draw fans. Why not try to get some MAC teams, or OSU to play a 2-for-1 serries?

LOL!!!!!!
OSU wouldn't give us a 10 for 1 series. They might lower themselves to do a 2 for 1 with Pitt. Maybe. You guys have an inflated opinion of what Duquesne is. There is no power team that is going to give Duquesne a home game under any circumstances. You might be able to get a P5 also ran to do a 2 for 1, but don't count on it.  Most of them would insist on the game being at the Consol. Pitt has been a solid winner in a major conference for well over a decade, and they have a hell of a time getting decent P5 teams to come play them in Pittsburgh. Every team in a top league is looking for home games with no return. These teams will go on the road maybe once or twice ooc, and it will be against a name brand school. As good as VCU has been, there is not a single P5 team on their home schedule. The best team they host will be AAC power Cincinnati.

7/15/2015 10:42 am  #13

Couldn't agree more. With the way things are, schools need to look at RPI impact and TV money in addition to income guarantee and national exposure when they schedule OOC. We haven't been very competitive when we play big games at CEC and it's been said that neither team looks very good on TV in front of a sparse crowd.
To compare, St. Joseph's (same conference, similar venue capacity, but generally more successful) had a very undistinguished home OOC schedule last season--Temple was the best team by far--but they played Gonzaga on the road. It would seem that we would have even more trouble scheduling good teams because our RPI is usually lower than the Hawks'.  We need to get better before we can get better teams to come to Pittsburgh.

Last edited by scduke (7/15/2015 10:53 am)

7/15/2015 2:17 pm  #14

It's really a non-issue.  This discussion about opening with Seton Hill,  seemed to stem from a comment I made in jest about DU starting a Women's Bowling Team, when ED and I were discussing issues with the program.  I mentioned how I wasn't anxiously awaiting the opener.  The opener I was referring to, was for the new Women's Bowling Team, not the basketball opener. 

Most every D-1 team opens with a D-2 team.  Powerful programs like Kentucky can open with a tougher D-2 opponent, but for the Dukes, Seton Hill is just fine as far as I'm concerned.  Every year, you'll see a few D-1 schools of note lose this opener to a D-2 team. 

7/15/2015 7:35 pm  #15

scduke wrote:

Couldn't agree more. With the way things are, schools need to look at RPI impact and TV money in addition to income guarantee and national exposure when they schedule OOC. We haven't been very competitive when we play big games at CEC and it's been said that neither team looks very good on TV in front of a sparse crowd.
To compare, St. Joseph's (same conference, similar venue capacity, but generally more successful) had a very undistinguished home OOC schedule last season--Temple was the best team by far--but they played Gonzaga on the road. It would seem that we would have even more trouble scheduling good teams because our RPI is usually lower than the Hawks'.  We need to get better before we can get better teams to come to Pittsburgh.

St. Joe's also has the advantage of being in Philly. Mid level teams might want the exposure there for recruiting purposes. There's very little talent in Pittsburgh, so this isn't a factor here. We should always look to play one power conference team on the road other than the three locals every year.. Georgia Tech fills that role this year. I do agree that we should have two MAC/MAAC/Horizon type games on the schedule every year. One home, and one away. If we should ever become a big winner, I'd upgrade that to games vs AAC/CUSA type teams.

Board footera