Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2015 12:57 pm  #1

Rothstein A10 Predictions

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   A 10 Power Rankings: Dayton, URI, Davidson, VCU, GW, SJU, SLU, Richmond, La Salle, SBU, UMass, Duquesne, George Mason, Fordham.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   A 10 Preseason First Team: Jack Gibbs (Davidson), E.C. Matthews (URI), D. Bembry (SJU), Dyshawn Pierre (Dayton), Hassan Martin (URI).

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   Atlantic 10 Preseason Player of the Year: DeAndre Bembry, Saint Joseph's.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   Atlantic 10 Preseason Sleeper: Saint Louis.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   5 Impact Atlantic 10 Transfers: K. Iverson (URI), C. Cooke (Dayton), K. Billbury (VCU), R. Castro (Duquesne), A. Space (UMass).

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   5 Atlantic 10 Breakout Guys: J. Demery (St. Joe's), P. Jorgenson (GW), D. Roby (SLU), T. Washington (La Salle), J. Tillman (VCU).

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   5 Impact Atlantic 10 Freshman: J, Crosby (Dayton), S. McElvene (Dayton), L. Kimble (SJU), N. Sanders (Duquesne), C. Thompson (URI).

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  The latest @CBSSports looks at Five Offseason Questions In The Atlantic 10: http://cbsprt.co/1Vabb5F 

Last edited by CLK (7/17/2015 1:03 pm)

7/17/2015 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Rothstein A10 Predictions

Finishing 12th would probably = a losing season.  Ferry needs to provem him wrong.  Winning season, no excuses!

7/17/2015 2:45 pm  #3

Pretty much every time we've been expected to make a move, we've failed. On the other hand, the times we've done well, we were predicted to do nothing, so I'm glad they don't expect much. It will give them more to write about if we do well.

7/17/2015 3:35 pm  #4

For Duquesne it's tough to make a big move in this league, unless they get lucky with some guys.  They need impact players at the A-10 level, and right now there just aren't enough of those guys.  It's nice to see that Rothstein thinks highly of at least two of our guys; but even if Castro and Sanders are the real deal, they will need either Robinson and/or  Powell to make major improvement before they can seriously consider making a move to the top 7-10 teams in the A-10.

7/17/2015 4:03 pm  #5

If we even want to sniff .500, I think 5 things have to happen:

1. Our coaching staff needs to do a better job. They need to teach these players how to play defense, and they need to develop players. If the same 5-6 returning guys who played most of every game at the ends of last year are still dominating PT, I'll tell you right now you may not see double digit wins. Ditto if we look lost again when the other team has the ball.

2. Mason needs to get most of the 3-point looks. Not Gill. Not Jones. Not Colter.

3. Speaking of Gill, he needs to get 5-7 clean touches in the paint every night. He can finish inside, much better than even Soko could. And if he can hit his FTs, he'll end up scoring 12 a night.

4. Castro can not be White or Stevens, the big reputation scorer who comes here and craps the sheets every night. He has to play under control, and he has to defend.

5. Colter has to finally learn how to handle pressure. Last year he did a better job of passing, a better job of not dribbling around aimlessly, and a better job of hitting the shots he took. But the minute someone got in his face, he turned the ball over. I would like to see our coaches give him better strategies for going to the iron, too. How many times did he get his shot blocked or turn it over? Too many. How many times did he manage to kick the ball outside when he was in trouble? Probably never.

Notice I didn't include Robinson, Powell or Saunders in the must haves, or Lewis either. They all need to learn how to rebound and play defense. Period.

Having said all that, I am not the least bit optimistic. 12th seems high to me.

7/17/2015 4:45 pm  #6

A losing season is not an option, period, no fn excuses.  Ferry needs to feel the pressure, because if he can't win next year (his 4th year) he will never get the Dukes to the NCAA.  Having said that I believe he has the scoring talent to do that, BUT HIS TEAM MUST PLAY DEFENSE.  The Dukes will be able to score but they are not going to out score many A10 without playing defense.  A perfect example of that is the Davidson game at home from last year.  The Dukes went toe to toe for roughly the first 14 minutes playing horrible defense, then the wheels fell off.  In a blink of an eye they went from even to 14 down.  This game exposed just how bad the 2-3 zone that Ferry played exclusively  really was, and how bad a coaching job Ferry did. with no other defensive options. This is on the coaches not the players, as decent HS teams can play multiple defenses.  Teams get way too comfortable with the constant 2-3 defense and just slice and dice the Dukes when they know the Dukes won't switch.  Learning, understanding and effective playing multiple defenses is the top priority for this team. If you have the stomach to watch the Davidson game again, it is a case study in how not to play defense. I have attached the replay link below. Just go to the "Archive" tab and click on the Davidson relpay (the very first one listed). 

http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31600&mid=80312

Last edited by CLK (7/17/2015 4:58 pm)

7/18/2015 9:20 am  #7

CLK I agree completely. I'm afraid we're going to see more of the same. It doesn't translate in the A10, which is why Rothstein doesn't give us much of a chance.

7/18/2015 9:47 am  #8

I know we would all like to think positively and hope that things will somehow improve, but the core of the team hasn't changed , and I don't expect the results to suddenly improve significantly. When the team shoots the ball exceptionally well, they will win, sometimes by a large margin for example Dayton last season; overall it will still be a tough road.  There is always hope that this team can turn it around, and I hope for the sake of all of the success starved Duquesne fans, players and coaches that the results will improve.  I will still support the team, and hope that things improve.
I have a lot of respect for our three seniors, DC, Micah, and Jeremiah, and would like to seem them enjoy this season and provide some good memories for them.  These guys have worked hard and is some cases had to fight through some tough personal issues with D.C's illness and the health issues that have sometimes restricted Micah from playing up to his capabilities.  I think we all need to realize how much time and work these guys put in to improve themselves and the team.

Last edited by levon1975 (7/18/2015 11:49 am)

7/18/2015 10:38 am  #9

ElDuque wrote:

CLK I agree completely. I'm afraid we're going to see more of the same. It doesn't translate in the A10, which is why Rothstein doesn't give us much of a chance.

The biggest issue I have with this statement is that last season was ruined not in A10 play, but vs the types of teams that Ferry formerly dominated. While the A10 record wasn't great, had we beaten those low level teams out of conference, we would have posted a winning record. If we were whipping those low majors, but then getting crushed in league play, I'd buy your theory. Since that isn't what's happening, the problem has to be more than just "Ferry can't get it done in the A10". How do you have wins against a ranked St. Louis team on the road, and a win vs a very good Dayton team, yet get run out of your own gym vs St. Francis?

7/18/2015 4:14 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

The biggest issue I have with this statement is that last season was ruined not in A10 play, but vs the types of teams that Ferry formerly dominated. While the A10 record wasn't great, had we beaten those low level teams out of conference, we would have posted a winning record. If we were whipping those low majors, but then getting crushed in league play, I'd buy your theory. Since that isn't what's happening, the problem has to be more than just "Ferry can't get it done in the A10". How do you have wins against a ranked St. Louis team on the road, and a win vs a very good Dayton team, yet get run out of your own gym vs St. Francis?

You make a good point about the noncon killing us last year, but I think this still relates to the talent being thin and inexperienced down low.  When the talent level is substandard all the stars must align correctly in order for us to win.  Perhaps the opponent plays poorly, Duquesne shoots well, a few guys play over their heads, you get a few matchups that are working in your favor and voila, you get a win over Dayton, but it doesn't carry over to the next game.  Guys revert back to who they are and you can lose to anybody.

7/18/2015 4:40 pm  #11

Plus he didn't develop anyone as the season went on, Levon. If he didn't have the confidence to play them last season, how are we to believe they can help now? Or ever? Plus one on both of your posts here. Right on the money.

7/19/2015 11:22 am  #12

Looking at last year the Dukes finished 12-19. There are 5 games that the Dukes should have won except for horrible defense, bad coaching, or terrible FT shooting which could have reveresd the season to 17-14

Breaking these down:

1) The Dukes lost to Penn State by two.  This game was lost at the FT line.  The Dukes shot 12-21 from the line 57%.

2) The Dukes lost to NJIT by 3.  After leading at the half the Dukes lack of defense allowed NJIT to shoot 64% in three point shooting in the second half.

3) The Dukes lost to the Frankies by 12.  The Dukes came out flat and allowed SF to hang 40 on them in the first half.  A small SF team out rebounded the Dukes 45-29. 

4) UMES beat the Dukes by 9.  The game was lost in the first half when again the Dukes came out unmotivated and UMES shot 73% from the trey in the first half 8-11.

5) St. Bona at home the Dukes lost 100-97.  The Dukes blew a 15 point lead in the second half.  The Bonnies shot 63% from the trey in the second half nailing a trey by Posley with 6 seconds left in the second half to force OT.  This was perhaps the biggest bone head coaching job by Ferry for the year.  Down three, everybody knew Posley was going to take the three point shot.  The Dukes had to deny him the ball, and let somebody else take the shot. 

I say all this to say I do not believe the bar is set too high at a simple winning season for a fourth year coach with three senior starters and two junior starters. I want to give Ferry the benefit of the doubt, but I am tired of hearing excuses from this guy.  There is no reason the Dukes can't have a winning season with their favorable schedule.  Ferry has to take responsibility and do a better job of coaching, and motivating for every game. 

Last edited by CLK (7/19/2015 11:24 am)

7/19/2015 11:54 am  #13

CLK wrote:

Looking at last year the Dukes finished 12-19. There are 5 games that the Dukes should have won except for horrible defense, bad coaching, or terrible FT shooting which could have reveresd the season to 17-14

Breaking these down:

1) The Dukes lost to Penn State by two.  This game was lost at the FT line.  The Dukes shot 12-21 from the line 57%.

2) The Dukes lost to NJIT by 3.  After leading at the half the Dukes lack of defense allowed NJIT to shoot 64% in three point shooting in the second half.

3) The Dukes lost to the Frankies by 12.  The Dukes came out flat and allowed SF to hang 40 on them in the first half.  A small SF team out rebounded the Dukes 45-29. 

4) UMES beat the Dukes by 9.  The game was lost in the first half when again the Dukes came out unmotivated and UMES shot 73% from the trey in the first half 8-11.

5) St. Bona at home the Dukes lost 100-97.  The Dukes blew a 15 point lead in the second half.  The Bonnies shot 63% from the trey in the second half nailing a trey by Posley with 6 seconds left in the second half to force OT.  This was perhaps the biggest bone head coaching job by Ferry for the year.  Down three, everybody knew Posley was going to take the three point shot.  The Dukes had to deny him the ball, and let somebody else take the shot. 

I say all this to say I do not believe the bar is set too high at a simple winning season for a fourth year coach with three senior starters and two junior starters. I want to give Ferry the benefit of the doubt, but I am tired of hearing excuses from this guy.  There is no reason the Dukes can't have a winning season with their favorable schedule.  Ferry has to take responsibility and do a better job of coaching, and motivating for every game. 

Don't forget Rhode Island at home. Had we shot decently from the stripe in St. Louis, we might have had a shot there as well.

Pretty much agree with all you said. Despite the doom and gloom of some, barring major injuries, this team should have enough to post a winning record. A winning season is badly needed to inject even a little bit of positivity into the program going forward. A winning record would indicate that the coaches are doing something right, and that we could possibly be on the right path, even though progress has been slow. I can deal with slow, as long as we are moving in the right direction.

7/20/2015 10:48 am  #14

duq81, it's not "doom and gloom." I just don't think I see anything happening this year that's going to be different than last season. Even if Castro is as good as some people think (and think can be as bad a plan as hope), it adds a fourth guard to a three guard mix that accounted for a major portion of the team's minutes, shots, points, etc. That's what he's cutting into. Unless Ferry plays four guards, which certainly would not shock me. Unless he shoots better than Mason, he'll do what? Give you back McKoy's points?

Still doesn't solve the issues we have on defense, the inability of our bigs to rebound consistently, or our occasional FT droughts.

I think all anyone can do at this point is take a wait and see attitude with this team.  Maybe beating up on a couple Irish kids will make us feel better for a while, but then what happens if we're even with Seton Hill in the last minute of the game?

At least you guys won't have to worry about me because I'll probably throw my laptop out the window!

7/20/2015 12:06 pm  #15

ED I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely no mention of Jordan Robinson in any of the pre season stuff which leads me to believe his minutes again will be limited. I also didn't see much on Lewis. The four guard offense may survive but how do you play any type of defense with that line up. I don't see Sanders giving them much as a freshman. In order to be affective their "bigs" need to get much better and contribute a LOT more.

7/23/2015 8:01 am  #16

CLK wrote:

A losing season is not an option, period, no fn excuses.  Ferry needs to feel the pressure, because if he can't win next year (his 4th year) he will never get the Dukes to the NCAA.  Having said that I believe he has the scoring talent to do that, BUT HIS TEAM MUST PLAY DEFENSE.  The Dukes will be able to score but they are not going to out score many A10 without playing defense.  A perfect example of that is the Davidson game at home from last year.  The Dukes went toe to toe for roughly the first 14 minutes playing horrible defense, then the wheels fell off.  In a blink of an eye they went from even to 14 down.  This game exposed just how bad the 2-3 zone that Ferry played exclusively  really was, and how bad a coaching job Ferry did. with no other defensive options. This is on the coaches not the players, as decent HS teams can play multiple defenses.  Teams get way too comfortable with the constant 2-3 defense and just slice and dice the Dukes when they know the Dukes won't switch.  Learning, understanding and effective playing multiple defenses is the top priority for this team. If you have the stomach to watch the Davidson game again, it is a case study in how not to play defense. I have attached the replay link below. Just go to the "Archive" tab and click on the Davidson relpay (the very first one listed). 

The irony is if Coach Ferry fails Ron has put together recruiting class with a potential final 4 or elite 8 team @ WVU. His firing will go down as the all-time blunder in Duquesnse sports history. Maybe he comes back if the new AD cleans house. Wishful thinking my friends.

7/23/2015 10:38 am  #17

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

The irony is if Coach Ferry fails Ron has put together recruiting class with a potential final 4 or elite 8 team @ WVU. His firing will go down as the all-time blunder in Duquesnse sports history. Maybe he comes back if the new AD cleans house. Wishful thinking my friends.

Well Iron, if Ron were the Head Coach at WVU or anywhere else, and was putting together great recruiting classes; I might agree with you.  He never came close to that as a Head Coach.  I think you would agree that Huggins, not Ron is most responsible for success at WVU.  This idea of crediting Ron for Huggins success is ridiculous.  I seem to recall that Huggs won a few games before Ron joined him.

7/23/2015 3:48 pm  #18

Ironduke81 wrote:

This is the silliest thing I've ever seen on this board. Ron is not the head coach at WVU, and recruiting to WVU is a lot easier than recruiting to Duquesne.

7/23/2015 7:07 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

This is the silliest thing I've ever seen on this board. Ron is not the head coach at WVU, and recruiting to WVU is a lot easier than recruiting to Duquesne.

Silly,,,,Duq81....really I don't have enough space to respond. 1) coach on hiring committee to recommend new AD..Its all about increasing the budget...Thanks to Your boy Amodio season ticket holders what 400 people..great source for alumni support. Please grape or lemonade. I should have never posted a positive comment about that horrible coach person human being Ron Everhart. I'm done

7/23/2015 8:44 pm  #20

Ironduke81 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Silly,,,,Duq81....really I don't have enough space to respond. 1) coach on hiring committee to recommend new AD..Its all about increasing the budget...Thanks to Your boy Amodio season ticket holders what 400 people..great source for alumni support. Please grape or lemonade. I should have never posted a positive comment about that horrible coach person human being Ron Everhart. I'm done

It's not about the job Ron did here, which was pretty good. It's about you acting like he's the head coach at WVU. Their coach is Bob "elbow" Huggins, one of the best in the game. I'm sure Huggins appreciates having an experienced coach like Ron on his staff, but for you to act like Huggins is some bum, and that Ron is really the head coach is just beyond insanity.

7/24/2015 7:34 am  #21

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

It's not about the job Ron did here, which was pretty good. It's about you acting like he's the head coach at WVU. Their coach is Bob "elbow" Huggins, one of the best in the game. I'm sure Huggins appreciates having an experienced coach like Ron on his staff, but for you to act like Huggins is some bum, and that Ron is really the head coach is just beyond insanity.

No need to get personal duq81, I think you missed his point.  Sine Ironduke addresed his comment to me please let me say I understand what his main point was of the firing of Ron being a major blunder.  While this still remains to be seen, the first three years of Ferry points in that direction.  Hopefully he can turn it around.

7/24/2015 10:40 am  #22

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

No need to get personal duq81, I think you missed his point.  Sine Ironduke addresed his comment to me please let me say I understand what his main point was of the firing of Ron being a major blunder.  While this still remains to be seen, the first three years of Ferry points in that direction.  Hopefully he can turn it around.

The firing of Ron at the time it was done was a blunder. That said, acting as though Ron is responsible for what happens at WVU as opposed to their borderline HOF coach, as well as insinuating that we would be loaded with Top 10 talent if he was still here, is in my mind, silly. Ron has enough actual accomplishments on his resume to not need false credit for things he hasn't done. Ron is gone. If people like IronDuke would quit constantly bringing him up, we might be able to move on.

Board footera