Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2015 12:22 pm  #1

I'm glad he's gone

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150723/quinnipiac-ad-greg-amodio-charged-with-leading-bobcats-quest-for-national-prominence

So here's what Quinippiac's new AD accomplished at Duquesne: Doubled the budget, cut a bunch of programs, fired a successful coach, turned finding a replacement into a bed-crapping debacle, turned Duquesne into the #3 school in the city of Pittsburgh, and alienated a generation of fans, long-time season ticket holders, and long-time fans like me who no longer have the passion they once did for supporting the program.

I know he's gone and I'm happy about that, but it's still going to take a long time and a lot of success here before I care again.

8/07/2015 10:14 am  #2

Re: I'm glad he's gone

I completely agree.  I started there as a freshman in '05 and watched the team go from 3-24 to 5 points away from making the NCAA tournament.  It's sad that Amodio couldn't be content with the success of Everhart.  Ferry needs to go at least .500 this year.  No excuses.  They are all players he recruited now to fit his system.  I am not sure why he was given a contract extension without any success.

8/07/2015 10:51 am  #3

Jwsa6 wrote:

I completely agree.  I started there as a freshman in '05 and watched the team go from 3-24 to 5 points away from making the NCAA tournament.  It's sad that Amodio couldn't be content with the success of Everhart.  Ferry needs to go at least .500 this year.  No excuses.  They are all players he recruited now to fit his system.  I am not sure why he was given a contract extension without any success.

Well said. I struggle with his inability to develop players, to teach defense, and to achieve fundamentals such as FT shooting. At least he's not recruiting sub-5 foot guards from junior colleges any more. Last season already I got worn out by constant references to the team being young. Young? Four returning starters who were upper classmen.

8/07/2015 1:28 pm  #4

Jwsa6 wrote:

It's sad that Amodio couldn't be content with the success of Everhart.

Well, while I feel that the firing of Ron was premature, he was eventually going to have to do better than 16-18 wins every year to keep his job long term. People were pissed, because we though he still had a chance to get where we wanted if he was given more time. That said, if he was still here, and we were only doing about 16-17 wins a year, I'd probably be calling for his head by now. We'll mostly be happy if Ferry reaches that level this year, but make no mistake, he can't camp out there. I wouldn't fire a coach if he was making the NIT nearly every year, but never made the dance (though it would be frustrating). CBI level is another story. That is not good enough over a long term. If Ferry plateaus at the CBI level, I'd give him the boot.

8/07/2015 2:19 pm  #5

I definitely struggle to understand why he can't get them to play defense.  If you know you have a team that is weak defensively, and is VERY undersized, you need to make the other team feel uncomfortable.  I really think he needs to press more.  Running a diamond press would really make the other team feel uncomfortable.  Presses aren't all about getting turnovers, either.  They force the other team to put the ball in the hands of players that aren't comfortable with it and make players take bad, rushed shots.  Pressing is the best friend of an undersized, but quick team.  Free throws need to be taught when you are developing your shot in middle school.  If it isn't corrected early enough, one is certainly going to struggle the rest of their bball career with free throws.  So, I don't blame Ferry for the free throw woes.

Duq81 - 16-18 wins every year means you are going .500 or better.  That is exactly what Duquesne needs.  They need sustained winning.  We don't play in the NEC like Bobby Mo.  Getting 16-18 wins with midlevel recruits is tough when you are playing 7-8 teams every year that make the tournament and 3-4 that make the NIT.  In my opinion, making the tournament twice in a decade and making the NIT two or three times in a decade would be great success for Duquesne.  People need to get real about their expectations.  There is nothing shameful in Duquesne going 16-18 wins every year.

8/07/2015 3:32 pm  #6

Jwsa6 wrote:

Duq81 - 16-18 wins every year means you are going .500 or better.  That is exactly what Duquesne needs.  They need sustained winning.  We don't play in the NEC like Bobby Mo.  Getting 16-18 wins with midlevel recruits is tough when you are playing 7-8 teams every year that make the tournament and 3-4 that make the NIT.  In my opinion, making the tournament twice in a decade and making the NIT two or three times in a decade would be great success for Duquesne.  People need to get real about their expectations.  There is nothing shameful in Duquesne going 16-18 wins every year.

Low expectations. If your goal isn't at minimun, to make the NCAAs at least twice a decade, what are you playing for?  Above .500 eight out of ten years, with four of those ten being good enough to reach the NCAA, or NIT. We ought to be getting better recruits than NEC teams. Bona has way more working against them than we do, but they've done much better than us. Too many of you have low expectations. To be truthful, I'd like for us to become a power in the A10, with .500 seasons being the exception. If the best we can hope for is the CBI, I'll find something else to occupy my time.

8/08/2015 7:21 am  #7

duq81 wrote:

Jwsa6 wrote:

Low expectations. If your goal isn't at minimun, to make the NCAAs at least twice a decade, what are you playing for?  Above .500 eight out of ten years, with four of those ten being good enough to reach the NCAA, or NIT. We ought to be getting better recruits than NEC teams. Bona has way more working against them than we do, but they've done much better than us. Too many of you have low expectations. To be truthful, I'd like for us to become a power in the A10, with .500 seasons being the exception. If the best we can hope for is the CBI, I'll find something else to occupy my time.

That is exactly what I said duq81.  The goal is to make the tournament twice a decade and make the NIT two or three times in a decade and have .500 seasons.  I literally said that in an earlier post.  Bona, btw, has made the tournament only three times since 1978 and did so in 2012 with an NBA 1st round draft pick.  We aren't going to get an NBA draft pick for recruit.  Bonaventure also has a great fan base that actually travels and they are the main attraction in their town.  I do not think I have low expectations at all.  I think that they are very realistic.  To become a power in the A10, you would have to overcome programs that have had great success recently and have much better facilities than Duquesne, such as Dayton, VCU, Saint Louis, St. Joes, UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond, George Washington and George Mason.  You need to lower your expectations or find something else to occupy your time.

8/08/2015 8:05 am  #8

Don't worry about the facilities. You need better players, period. And proof that Ferry can coach at this level.

8/08/2015 8:09 am  #9

Jwsa6 wrote:

Thank you.  Time to win this year, no excuses! 

Board footera