Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2015 11:49 pm  #1

8/24/2015 8:19 am  #2

Re: Coach Ferry Comments on the Success of the Team's Trip to Ireland

Gill really needs to be able to rebound and play defense.  When you look at the picture below he looks to be as big or bigger than Robinson.  Ferry can't let him play on the wing exclusively like he did last year and keep hoisting quick threes. Better than 50% of his shots were threes of which he only made 33%.  Gill is very athletic and can help this team make a big leap if Ferry can keep him focused.  Some of his best plays last year, in my opinion, came off the pick and roll (like in the Dayton game at home).  I am not saying he should not step out and shoot the three but I would like to see more of his shots being put backs, mid range, and lay ups.

8/24/2015 10:40 am  #3

Gill should be able to give us what Soko did two years ago. If he does that, considering that he'll have more help than Soko did, the results ought to be pretty good.

8/24/2015 11:35 am  #4

duq81 wrote:

Gill should be able to give us what Soko did two years ago. If he does that, considering that he'll have more help than Soko did, the results ought to be pretty good.

Are you talking about leadership, defense and rebounding, or missed layups?

I've said from the beginning that Gill has a lot of potential. The thing that has been holding him back is the Ferry system, which has had him launching low percentage shots instead of letting him live in the paint where he could develop into a really strong player, as CLK says above.

It remains to be seen whether he'll have more help than Soko. On the one hand, Lewis could develop into a better and more consistent post player and a better complement than McKoy, who of course brought toughness, scrappiness and solid play. On the other, you still have the same Colter-Jones-Mason triumverate that may have maxed out its potential. It remains to be seen whether Castro, Steele, Jackson and James can contribute at this level, and whether Robinson and Powell can show more against real competition.

8/24/2015 5:28 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

You really think Gill can give us what Soko did?  If Gill leads the A10 in scoring and is top 5 in the A10 in rebounding, the results ought to be more than pretty good...

I'm not thrilled with Gill's midrange game, and I still think he's too much of a tweener for the A10 and am not as high on Gill as others on this board are.  I actually don't mind him outside some - defenses should have to cover him out there, and I don't think he's strong enough to make his living in the paint on a nightly basis.  (Then again, with a bit more strength, particularly with what the A10 lost inside, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.)

8/24/2015 9:58 pm  #6

All due respect to the folks involved but if you think adding some muscle will make LG another Ovie, or a force in the paint I have some bad news for you.  Ovie could put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, LG hasn't shown any ability to put it on the floor, or play in the paint.  Playing in the paint successfully takes more than just muscle.

8/25/2015 6:41 am  #7

levon1975 wrote:

All due respect to the folks involved but if you think adding some muscle will make LG another Ovie, or a force in the paint I have some bad news for you.  Ovie could put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, LG hasn't shown any ability to put it on the floor, or play in the paint.  Playing in the paint successfully takes more than just muscle.

Levon, every game in which I saw Soko play, I saw him fail to finish 4-5 layups. I probably implored him a hundred times on this board to finish strong (eg, dunk). Two guaranteed points and a shot at a third is always better than 2 FTs by a Duquesne player. Those misses don't show up on the stat sheets when he's awarded FTs, so his shooting percentage was always deceptively higher. I had the same issue with Patrick Ewing of the Knicks, who missed a ton of finger rolls at critical moments (not to mention the epic Charles Smith failure that cost NY a championship, or even AJax' missed layup in the NIT game vs. VA Tech).

So I agree with you, I'd rather have a guy who can hit shots, period, regardless of his build. My point about Gill is that I believe he plays better inside. He's not a great 3 point shooter. We don't have much effective size to start, and I'd be in favor of utilizing his frame where I think he belongs. Otherwise, we face another long year of the failed Ferry 4 short and a bumbling big circus.

8/25/2015 9:12 am  #8

I think Soko is a bad comparison.  I do think Gill has the potential to be a Dyshan Pierre type player. The problem is we have a coach who has not shown much ability to develop players.  Pierre average 8 rebounds and 13 points per game.  He did not shoot much better than Gill from the three 35% but only took a third of his shots from the trey.  Overall he used his 6'6" frame and muscle to shoot 46% overall on close in shots.  Gill and Pierre both are athletic, the difference is coaching.  Somebody on this team has to rebound and put back shots.  Based on prior performance I am not counting on Lewis or Robinson to do that.

8/25/2015 4:26 pm  #9

Gill is definitely 2-3 inches bigger than last year and is also physically bigger. As ED pointed out we have 3 spots spoken for in Mason, Jones & Colter so no matter what we are going to play small. Last year I called all year for a bigger front line with Robinson in the conversation. Now we have Lewis, Powell and Gill to give us that ability so why wouldn't that be a potential line up. More than ever Gill at the top of the key is a horrible waste.

Board footera