Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2015 7:44 am  #26

Re: A10 Media Day

Craig MeyerVerified account ‏@CraigMeyerPG 11h11 hours ago Norm Nixon is getting restless about Duquesne's NCAA drought, though: “I want to talk some smack in California. I’m tired of being quiet

Got to talk to Norm Nixon a little tonight at a function about Duquesne and his thoughts on the program. A snippet:

Last edited by CLK (10/22/2015 7:45 am)

10/22/2015 9:35 am  #27

I really hate to post anything here anymore (and so I generally don't here or on the other somewhat dormant board).  If I sound optimistic I'm drinking kool aid, buying into Ferry's excuses, dissing Ron, etc.  If I sound pessimistic I'm failing to support the school, giving Ferry enough time to truly rebuild, etc.  This back and forth may be the nature of these kind of boards but I hate the extremes to which it goes - and it is often extreme - and no, thanks, I'm not looking for a philosophical discussion on that or on how everyone is allowed to post whatever here, etc.

For what little it is worth, I'm generally optimistic about the year as I have been most years at the beginning and sure to get frustrated as the year goes on and go off on something - though I'm willing to give Ferry the benefit of the doubt with my patience being sorely tested.  I'm optimistic too because it's Duquesne, a school that I love for a number of reasons, and want to think of in the best possible light despite its shortcomings and my critical comments that I note in letters to the admin. or to others.  How many wins in conference, out of conference, whether we beat Pitt (which is really just irrelevant to everything else), is for others to enjoy. 

Going back to lurking mode now - just wanted to make a comment.

10/22/2015 10:33 am  #28

CLK wrote:

Craig MeyerVerified account ‏@CraigMeyerPG 11h11 hours ago Norm Nixon is getting restless about Duquesne's NCAA drought, though: “I want to talk some smack in California. I’m tired of being quiet

Got to talk to Norm Nixon a little tonight at a function about Duquesne and his thoughts on the program. A snippet:

The most encouraging note I've seen in the last few days is that Norman, and Mike James still have an interest in seeing things turn around.  I know Norman has been a supporter, from a distance, and he has his own business interests in LA to keep him occupied, but Mike James showing interest presents and opportunity that Duquesne cannot ignore.  If he doesn't decide to continue playing, I would love to see Duquesne get him involved meaningfully, and very soon.  He has great experience at the highest level of the game, and has been known to have a great work ethic as well. He has won an NBA championship and is current enough for young players to recognize and respect.  The new AD needs to get this thing moving in the right direction and hiring Mike James in some capacity would be a good first move.

10/22/2015 11:57 am  #29

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

The most encouraging note I've seen in the last few days is that Norman, and Mike James still have an interest in seeing things turn around.  I know Norman has been a supporter, from a distance, and he has his own business interests in LA to keep him occupied, but Mike James showing interest presents and opportunity that Duquesne cannot ignore.  If he doesn't decide to continue playing, I would love to see Duquesne get him involved meaningfully, and very soon.  He has great experience at the highest level of the game, and has been known to have a great work ethic as well. He has won an NBA championship and is current enough for young players to recognize and respect.  The new AD needs to get this thing moving in the right direction and hiring Mike James in some capacity would be a good first move.

I'd love to see Mike in the mix as well. I don't know if he needs a job though. The money in the NBA is insane now, compared to the relative chump change that Nixon made. Mike is very rich, and I don't know if he would be interested in working. That said, I'm sure there's some role that he could play, even if it's not an official job.

10/22/2015 1:18 pm  #30

I'm sure he is well situated financially, but he may not be ready to kick back and rest at the age of 40.  Coaching is one option, but not the only one; but coaching without  the worry of putting bread on the table might also be attractive, and much less stressful than a guy who has to coach to feed his family.  I don't know how much flexibility there is within the NCAA for hiring someone as a special instructor, or the like.

10/22/2015 2:08 pm  #31

I think the new AD should talk to Norm and Mike about sizeable donations to start a fund that can be used to improve facilities and buyout JF and,in turn, hire a real coach.  Harper was a fund raiser at Dayton and apparently a good one and John Plante, another skilled fund raiser, was chairman of the seach committee. Money, more than speeches, will improve Du BB just as Murray and CD fund raising improved the university. 

Board footera