Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2015 2:19 pm  #26

Re: Scrimmage

ED I know this will make Grammy a little crazy but to strengthen your point after watching the scrimmage I believe that the guard combo of Castro & Smith out played Colter & Mason. Colter can not play the point and have 1!!!!!!! assist for the game. Sorry I don't care how many he scored. We also can't gloss over the near 1 to 1 ratio of assists to turnovers. This becomes a factor when you take into consideration the officiating was very liberal and those numbers could have been worse. I do see a lot of positives but I'm very skeptical.

Last edited by The Dome (11/02/2015 2:21 pm)

11/02/2015 3:03 pm  #27

ElDuque wrote:

WEB, Tarin Smith will be one of the top PGs in the A-10, if not the best, the minute he steps on the court. His HS coach, the great Bob Hurley, has sent some all-time point guards into the NCAA and ultimately into the NBA. 

I do not disagree with this at all.  I was told from a reliable source who was at the scrimmage that he was absolutely "lights out, a true big ten talent and if he plays like he did at the scrimmage during a real game to look out".  He may very well be our best player next season and honestly is that a surprise?  The kid had all kinds of offers, went to Nebraska who has been doing fairly well in the big ten at the time of his recruitment.  Between Smith and Castro, that can be a dynamic and exciting backcourt for the next 2 seasons. 

11/02/2015 3:08 pm  #28

The Dome wrote:

ED I know this will make Grammy a little crazy but to strengthen your point after watching the scrimmage I believe that the guard combo of Castro & Smith out played Colter & Mason. Colter can not play the point and have 1!!!!!!! assist for the game. Sorry I don't care how many he scored. We also can't gloss over the near 1 to 1 ratio of assists to turnovers. This becomes a factor when you take into consideration the officiating was very liberal and those numbers could have been worse. I do see a lot of positives but I'm very skeptical.

1 - Is this a bad thing that Smith and Castro are better than Colter and Mason?  I would expect recruiting to improve over time.  This is a clear indicator to me that Ferry has done so.  Colter was signed in a recruiting period where nobody was available. 

2 - Mason had an 8-1 Asst/TO ratio.  Again, if we taking the scrimmage as gospel, then point that out as well. 

3 - As far as Colter dropping 31, why is this bad?  You need a guy who can carry you to a win by literally just taking a game over...see Aaron Jackson.  I'll be halfway stunned if we lose a game where Colter scores 31. 

4 - 8 rebounds in 22 minutes by Sanders is mighty impressive. 

5 - For all the talk, hype and hoopla about Smith, Castro got 3 less points on 9 less shots. 

11/02/2015 3:25 pm  #29

WEB, you know I'm not into hype and hoopla. I think Castro is the guy who has people here dreaming big because he projects as a scoring machine. Smith was a darling in the NJ HS sports media, of course, but I don't follow the recruiting stuff any more.

11/02/2015 5:31 pm  #30

WEB sorry I can't buy a comparison of Colter to Ajax. He has been a good soldier in a tough period. He isn't scoring at that pace after a few blow out games he disappears as defenses adjust. He's just too small. So you would rather have Mason dishing?  Where did that go last year. And I'll stand by the fact your winning nothing with a 1 assist point guard.

11/02/2015 5:47 pm  #31

The Dome wrote:

The Towson scrimmage is this Saturday.

Thanks Dome

11/02/2015 6:18 pm  #32

The Dome wrote:

WEB sorry I can't buy a comparison of Colter to Ajax. He has been a good soldier in a tough period. He isn't scoring at that pace after a few blow out games he disappears as defenses adjust. He's just too small. So you would rather have Mason dishing? Where did that go last year. And I'll stand by the fact your winning nothing with a 1 assist point guard.

I don't know one winning team that brings it down the court, passes once and scores. DC just dropped 31, it makes sense that he didn't have that many assist because he instead was taking the shots and scoring. He clearly does get the ball to other players, this is just one 40 min game.  He's not the player that we need to focus our concerns on. Nevertheless, with the season upon us, I am very excited. Roll Dukes 

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera