Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2015 5:13 pm  #1

Temple Football

My Filipina wife of six years does not know a lot of the history and traditions of American sports, so last night she asked me why I was so interested in Temple vs. Notre Dame.  "Is Temple a good team?" She asked.

I responded Temple is to college football what Duquesne is to college basketball.

"Ouch" She responded.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/01/2015 5:45 pm  #2

Re: Temple Football

Tejas_Duke wrote:

My Filipina wife of six years does not know a lot of the history and traditions of American sports, so last night she asked me why I was so interested in Temple vs. Notre Dame. "Is Temple a good team?" She asked.

I responded Temple is to college football what Duquesne is to college basketball.

"Ouch" She responded.

Not really. Minnesota is to college football, what Duquesne is to college basketball.

11/01/2015 6:13 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

My Filipina wife of six years does not know a lot of the history and traditions of American sports, so last night she asked me why I was so interested in Temple vs. Notre Dame. "Is Temple a good team?" She asked.

"Ouch" She responded.

Not really. Minnesota is to college football, what Duquesne is to college basketball.

Temple as of last night is 5-101-1 in almost 100 years of college football against ranked opponents

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/01/2015 8:38 pm  #4

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

"Ouch" She responded.

Temple as of last night is 5-101-1 in almost 100 years of college football against ranked opponents

That's why we're not Temple. Minny is better analogy as they are a once very powerful program, that fell off a cliff, and is now an nonentity. Temple has no tradition, not even an old one.

11/02/2015 12:29 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

Minnesota plays in the Big Ten, a power conference, Temple used to be an independent non-entity, who only got to play Pitt and Penn State because the state politicians forced those schools to schedule them.  And now Temple plays in a second tier football conference, Football's version of the A-10.

Now a point, we did have success in the "nobody cares about that anymore past" whereas Temple has always been bad

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (11/02/2015 12:31 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/02/2015 12:59 pm  #6

I just don't understand how you married a 6-year-old, Tejas.

Oh, wait, never mind.

I actually always likened Duquesne basketball to Rutgers football. Yeah, you played the first-ever college game. Yeah, every now and then you make a little noise, and a player comes out of your program who is pretty good. But your storied past is a disconnect from today's reality, and no matter who you bring in to coach, the results never seem to change.

11/02/2015 1:42 pm  #7

ElDuque wrote:

Oh, wait, never mind.

I actually always likened Duquesne basketball to Rutgers football. Yeah, you played the first-ever college game. Yeah, every now and then you make a little noise, and a player comes out of your program who is pretty good. But your storied past is a disconnect from today's reality, and no matter who you bring in to coach, the results never seem to change.

Rutgers doesn't have a storied past. Other than what was really a game of soccer in 1869, they have no past glory. Minnesota was a true powerhouse in football, for an extended period of time, then fell off the face of the earth. That's much closer to the Dukes than Rutgers, or Temple football.

11/02/2015 2:05 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Oh, wait, never mind.

yeah, that one's a good parallel.  Ancient, dawn of time, relevance but nothing in the age of color television

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/02/2015 3:29 pm  #9

duq81, I'm not old enough to remember the early 1900s, which I guess was when Minnesota was a powerhouse. Rutgers had a couple unbeaten teams in the early 1960s and some all-Americans (Alex Kroll). But they never got picked for major Bowl games.

11/02/2015 9:46 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, I'm not old enough to remember the early 1900s, which I guess was when Minnesota was a powerhouse. Rutgers had a couple unbeaten teams in the early 1960s and some all-Americans (Alex Kroll). But they never got picked for major Bowl games.

Minnesota won their last of their 7 National Championships in 1960. So they fell off the map about a decade before we did. Rutgers wasn't playing a major college schedule until the late 70's. They had an unbeaten team in 1976, and decided it was time to take a shot at playing with the big boys, and upgraded their schedule. Haven't been very successful, other than under Greg Schiano.

11/03/2015 7:52 am  #11

You're right. Bad comparison. Rutgers football has had world class talent in its back yard for decades, and could neither recruit it nor coach it. Actually, those last seven words still apply here, even if Pittsburgh doesn't turn out premium HS talent anymore.

Board footera