Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2015 8:42 pm  #26

Re: New President

I have already asked for an interview and was told he was too busy and not available. Does not mean I will not get answers or an interview, just makes it a touch harder.

11/05/2015 10:01 pm  #27

ED I just wish they would appreciate that we all want the same thing but some of us are sick and tired of waiting for it. Within other post here they cry over the fact we don't get credit for the things the university does. Who's fault is that, if the administration doesn't realize this or take action, who then!!!

11/06/2015 12:28 am  #28

zacharymweiss wrote:

I have already asked for an interview and was told he was too busy and not available. Does not mean I will not get answers or an interview, just makes it a touch harder.

He should make time If his goal is to establish communication with alumni.  Best of luck.  He has until next summer to answer some interview questions so he better deliver.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/06/2015 7:33 am  #29

Simms wrote:

zacharymweiss wrote:

He should make time If his goal is to establish communication with alumni.  Best of luck.  He has until next summer to answer some interview questions so he better deliver.  

I do agree with Simms here.  It would be good to get out in front of the basketball discussion.  I think the longer he waits to give his views on the future of mens basketball, the more restless the community will become.  I'm not saying this is the case just yet, but Harper was hired before the president was named.  I am not sure if they have the same views and that to me is somewhat of a scary proposition.  I kind if like Harper and believe in his message. 

11/06/2015 8:00 am  #30

Let's face it, regardless of the names and titles, accountability on the Bluff has been at a premium since Father Mac handed the keys to the president's privy over to Father Nesti. I have very strong, and somewhat negative, perceptions of some of the presidents, ADs and coaches. Dr. Dougherty certainly has done and said some things that, well, I find embarrassing.

I look at this as a new slate, a new opportunity. For me personally, I don't know if I can restore the relationship with my alma mater. I'm having a hard enough time trying to be a fan of the laundry again after four-plus decades of being a very passionate and loyal supporter.

Understand what I'm saying: I don't want to be an "insider," like Grammudder. I just want to have pride in the school from which I was graduated, and to have my rooting interest back. And frankly, the more I get beat up on this board who can't understand the reality of what I'm feeling, and want to portray me as negative, disloyal, or whatever else serves a personal agenda, the wedge grows just a little deeper for me.

Want to add one other thing here: WEB, I owe you a response to your private message, but I want to publicly thank you for it. CLK too for a couple "I got your back" messages.

The only reason I stick around right now is because I see true loyal fans who want the program to win and true alumni who want the best for their school, who keep things real and honest on this board even when some folks try to portray the dialogue as something else.

Don't accept losing folks. Don't let mediocrity be the goal. Don't make excuses. Don't cry woe is me. Don't stick your head up someone's butt and come running to their defense when they get called out. Make something good happen here.

11/06/2015 8:10 am  #31

Too busy for an interview.  Typical.

11/06/2015 9:04 am  #32

The Dome wrote:

ED I just wish they would appreciate that we all want the same thing but some of us are sick and tired of waiting for it. Within other post here they cry over the fact we don't get credit for the things the university does. Who's fault is that, if the administration doesn't realize this or take action, who then!!!

The wait has become generational.  DU's last NCAA appearance was 1977.  Many schools (like RMU) understand the benefit of strong athletic programs and the multiplier effect it has on other aspects of the University including branding, messaging, community recognition and growth.  Regrettably Duquesne has not.  The DU presidents, and administration, have paid have lip service , and state goals, but nothing has really changed after 40 years. IMHO DU is at a crossroads.  This slow attrition can not continue.  The tandem of Gormley and Harper are either going to make a commitment to effect real change, or DU should give up pretending and become a D2 school.

11/06/2015 9:48 am  #33

For reasons I can't explain, I would just give the new President some time.  I don't want to infer that he definitely will support men's basketball but my impression is that he will.  He has only just been appointed.  I imagine there are quite a few messages he is wading through and he doesn't officially start until next summer.  We see the problem as immediate and I would assume he sees the issue as one of many he has to deal with.  I'm optimistic and would give him some time.

11/06/2015 10:10 am  #34

Mulder wrote:

For reasons I can't explain, I would just give the new President some time.  I don't want to infer that he definitely will support men's basketball but my impression is that he will.  He has only just been appointed.  I imagine there are quite a few messages he is wading through and he doesn't officially start until next summer.  We see the problem as immediate and I would assume he sees the issue as one of many he has to deal with.  I'm optimistic and would give him some time.

Of course give him time.   But the response to Zach's request for an interview was typical Duquesne.   I may be reading words in Zach's response, they didn't try to schedule a future interview.  They just shut it down.

11/06/2015 10:37 am  #35

Gents we can all fool ourselves and say there is time but I would caution that the changes occurring in college athletics everyday put us at risk of being a after thought. Amodio did not appear at the A-10 media day just to shake hands with old friends. I know for a fact that RMU has made noise about the A-10. And how about the A-10 schools who have potential to move to the Big East. Status quo will not get it done everyone else is moving forward please tell me what makes us attractive to any league.

11/06/2015 1:29 pm  #36

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette opines on Duquesne's selection of Ken Gormley as its new president:
http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/editorials/2015/11/06/Favorite-son-Duquesne-has-a-proven-leader-in-Gormley/stories/201511300016 

[size=150]Favorite son: Duquesne has a proven leader in Gormley 
November 6, 2015 12:00 AM
By the Editorial Board
[/size]

Nine months ago, when outgoing Duquesne University President Charles Dougherty announced his plans to retire in June 2016, board members of Pittsburgh’s largest Catholic campus started a nationwide search for his successor.  They found what they were looking for right at home in Ken Gormley, a Swissvale native who has been dean of its law school since 2008.  Mr. Gormley, 60, is a highly respected legal scholar, author and teacher who took over the leadership of Duquesne’s law school at a time of turmoil.  He recruited alumni and practicing judges and lawyers for an advisory panel, hired new faculty, increased courses and raised the national stature of the school, as seen in the improved ranking of U.S. News & World Report.  A hard worker and energetic leader, Mr. Gormley knows Duquesne well. He has been on its law school faculty since 1994, when Duquesne’s first lay president, John Murray, recruited him.  He is past president of the Allegheny County Bar Association, former mayor of Forest Hills, where he resides, and a nominee for a temporary vacancy on the state Supreme Court that was scuttled when the political agreement that called for one Democrat and one Republican fell apart.  As Duquesne’s 13th president and the third who is not a priest, Mr. Gormley, who is Catholic, said his top priorities will be increasing the endowment, completing a strategic plan and strengthening Duquesne’s connections with the city’s foundations, corporations and elected officials.  The task will be challenging, but Duquesne is fortunate to have found the perfect man for the job under its own roof.  We wish him well.

Last edited by godukes1970 (11/06/2015 2:16 pm)

11/06/2015 1:30 pm  #37

Mulder wrote:

I agree with Mulder.  The man has just been named President,  and will not take over for another 7 months.  Can we give him time to actually assume the presidency and take a deep breath before hounding him about basketball?  Being the scholarly individual that he is, I would assume that he will want to do some homework on the issue before he makes any statement.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/06/2015 1:32 pm)

11/06/2015 2:13 pm  #38

levon1975 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

I agree with Mulder.  The man has just been named President,  and will not take over for another 7 months.  Can we give him time to actually assume the presidency and take a deep breath before hounding him about basketball?  Being the scholarly individual that he is, I would assume that he will want to do some homework on the issue before he makes any statement.

I agree with both of you.

11/06/2015 3:37 pm  #39

Give the guy some credit. Regardless of when or if he chooses to discuss the topic privately or publicly, I think it's safe to say he's already done his homework & has opinions about the state of the athletic department and basketball team. Maybe not dirt-level details, but working knowledge.  

11/06/2015 4:34 pm  #40

ElDuque wrote:

Give the guy some credit. Regardless of when or if he chooses to discuss the topic privately or publicly, I think it's safe to say he's already done his homework & has opinions about the state of the athletic department and basketball team. Maybe not dirt-level details, but working knowledge.  

ED - I tend to agree.  Maybe a note about this in his introductory speech would have been sufficient to calm everyone down.  Maybe I've jumped the gun, I guess I view his silence as him not caring.  If he had chosen to mention the elephant, then it may have revealed his hand that he wants to get this moving in the right direction quickly.  By not saying something, and then declining an interview, I can't fault those that think maybe he doesn't give a hoot about basketball. 

I can see it both ways and am open to discussion on this.  Haven't totally made up my mind on whether his silence means anything. 

11/06/2015 4:53 pm  #41

What could he say?
1. I recognize the tradition of mbb at DU and past struggles
2. I will work closely with the AD when I am the president
3. Athletic excellence is part of the strategic plan and I will make every effort to achieve that excellence
Beyond that,  he won't say much.  He is a very smart lawyer who has political skills.  I would be shocked if he says anything stupid.

11/06/2015 6:10 pm  #42

WEB wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

ED - I tend to agree.  Maybe a note about this in his introductory speech would have been sufficient to calm everyone down.  Maybe I've jumped the gun, I guess I view his silence as him not caring.  If he had chosen to mention the elephant, then it may have revealed his hand that he wants to get this moving in the right direction quickly.  By not saying something, and then declining an interview, I can't fault those that think maybe he doesn't give a hoot about basketball. 

I can see it both ways and am open to discussion on this.  Haven't totally made up my mind on whether his silence means anything. 

I agree with Web here.  Who knows?  He may have never even seen the interview request. 

Let's be honest here.  Openness and being forthright with the media is not exactly the Duquesne way.  The existing DU staff may have just shut it down.  I believe that Craig Meyer was turned down in an interview request of Dougherty fo his "state of DU basketball" post mortem article at the end of the season. 

Actions speak louder than words here, as well.  Dougherty always talked a good game (until after RE when he clammed up about athletics and was rarely seen).   But if he doesn't speak up, in the next six months or so, you can expect more of the same.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/06/2015 6:15 pm)

11/06/2015 7:18 pm  #43

Hasn't the discussion of the topic of Ken Gormley's silence with regard to Duquesne's athletic department and, in particular, the men's basketball program during the university's introduction ceremony of the new president on Tuesday morning been beaten to death by now?   

11/06/2015 11:47 pm  #44

We encourage discussion on this board.

Board footera