Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2015 6:55 am  #1

So tell me . . .

The Dukes could be 10-2 if they beat Robert Morris. If the Dukes split their A-10 games, they could be an 18-game winner. If they do, an NIT bid might happen. The question is this: do you feel the program has been turned around by Ferry or has it been the easier schedule that put them in this position?

12/17/2015 7:06 am  #2

Re: So tell me . . .

I don't know but it is better than 4-7, which in past years it might have been. Every win Duquesne can get in this 100 year of basketball makes me happy.....

A diehard fan since 1961

12/17/2015 7:29 am  #3

i think its a combo- def the best team duq has put on floor since re's next to last year. sos is pretty weak.
next 5 games will paint a better picture- rivalry game against a team that has beaten us up recently, a ga tech team that just knocked around vcu, then 3 fringe top 25 teams, 2 of which are on the road(gw just got into top 25, dayton just fell out, and davidson knocking on the door)

would love to see us win 2 of those 5. 3 out of 5 would be huge. 5-0 would have us lurking around the top 25. 0-5- don't want to think about it

12/17/2015 7:46 am  #4

rittersdiner wrote:

The Dukes could be 10-2 if they beat Robert Morris. If the Dukes split their A-10 games, they could be an 18-game winner. If they do, an NIT bid might happen. The question is this: do you feel the program has been turned around by Ferry or has it been the easier schedule that put them in this position?

Without a doubt the program has been stabilized and turned around.  Look at how the program is set up now.  Balance to classes is the #1 difference now; that and having upperclassmen who play the majority of your minutes.  I see that trend continuing for the foreseeable future and that is absolutely the recipe for success. 

Also:

2014-15 NCSOS was 264
2015-16 Expected OOC SOS is 245

So the schedule has not been easier.

2010-11 Overall SOS was 110.  Record was 18-12; Best OOC wins were #118 IUPUI and #169 Green Bay.

2015-16 Expected Overall SOS is 88; Record currently at 9-2.  Best OOC wins are Western Kentucky(Expected RPI of #114) and Milwaukee(Expected RPI of #128).  Still have a shot v. GT(Expected RPI of #77). 

So with those facts...yes we are headed in the right direction to surpass where we were. 

Last edited by WEB (12/17/2015 8:10 am)

12/17/2015 7:49 am  #5

rittersdiner wrote:

The ooc schedule is about what it's always been, and much better than last year. It's not like Duquesne has ever been whoring themselves out as a rent a victim in years past, and playing a schedule where we had no chance to do well. We just had too many hiccups vs teams like St. Francis, and S. Carolina St. This year, we've won all of those games, plus we've gone 3-1 in games against teams similar to us. I don't know if that means the program has been turned around, the next few years will answer that, but we do seem to have returned to the level that we were at under Ron. How they do in the league will determine whether were more like Ron's last team, or more like the 09 team, or maybe better. Regardless, it's surely nice to be stacking up the wins for a change, and not have any "what if" type moments.

12/17/2015 8:19 am  #6

10-3 in OOC and just going .500 in the League gives them 19 wins. Win a game in the tourney and they are at 20. I think that puts them in the NIT definitely.

Win 2 in Brooklyn and they are legitimately "on the bubble."  They probably won't get in, but still, to be at least in the conversation for the Big Dance would be amazing!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/17/2015 8:59 am  #7

Tejas_Duke wrote:

10-3 in OOC and just going .500 in the League gives them 19 wins. Win a game in the tourney and they are at 20. I think that puts them in the NIT definitely.

Win 2 in Brooklyn and they are legitimately "on the bubble."  They probably won't get in, but still, to be at least in the conversation for the Big Dance would be amazing!

They were just about the last team into the NIT in 2009, with a 21-12 record. The league has performed very well ooc this year, so the threshold will likely be a bit lower this time. 20-13 ought to be good enough.

12/17/2015 9:20 am  #8

I don't think 13 losses will get you in the NIT with the automatic bids going to regular season conference champs who fail to make the NCAA.  The NIT now run by the NCAA will always take a power conference also ran over a non power team with a better record.  They are committed to rewarding all big-time football schools in this scenario.  I think the Dukes will need to do better than 20-13.

12/17/2015 9:35 am  #9

levon1975 wrote:

I don't think 13 losses will get you in the NIT with the automatic bids going to regular season conference champs who fail to make the NCAA.  The NIT now run by the NCAA will always take a power conference also ran over a non power team with a better record.  They are committed to rewarding all big-time football schools in this scenario.  I think the Dukes will need to do better than 20-13.

The NCAA uses the same criteria for the NIT as they do for the NCAAs. If the Dukes have a better RPI, and a better record vs top 100 teams, they'll get the nod.

12/17/2015 4:40 pm  #10

I still believe the OOC schedule is soft, teams in the bottom third of the NCAA. I don't think they get into NIT without at least 21 wins. While I wouldn't say the program is turned around, it's easier to recruit with a winning record. Recruits don't pick apart SOS when choosing a team. So a 20-win season is important.

12/17/2015 5:36 pm  #11

I am enjoying the moment 9-2, we are clearly playing better than we did last year, but it is too early to proclaim that the Program has turned around.  It is important that the Dukes post a winning season this year, and maintain the momentum to get to the top of the league in the next two years.  Remember the goal is to compete for championships and get to the NCAA not just to get back to middle of the pack.

12/17/2015 9:31 pm  #12

For post season consideration, throw out the win over Seaton Hill, a division II team. 

The difference this year is we are beating the poor teams instead of losing to some of them. Less blood pressure medicine has been needed this year. 

The key to the post season is what we do in the conference. We can't lose to lower ranked conference teams at home and need to steal a win against a higher ranked team at home. On the road, we need to win the games we should and hopefully pull off one upset. Two victories in Brooklyn would then seal the deal, but that is asking a lot. 

As to whether the program has turned around, it appears that the evening out of the classes may bear fruit, but the depends on how good those classes are. We will be losing a lot of points at the guard position at the end of this year. 

12/18/2015 1:51 pm  #13

I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far this year.

This is the first time since Jim Ferry became coach that I can say that on December 18th.

2 bad halves of basketball cost the Dukes their 2 losses, other than that this team has been pretty good so far. 

I think they're on the verge of being a good basketball team.  They're not there yet, but they're getting close.  The next 5 games will be crucial in deciding if they will indeed become a good team.  1-4 is the consensus from the various predicting sites.  If they do that, they may still become a good team, but most likely will be mediocre. 

Good teams defend their home court.  If the Dukes beat RMU as expected and then Dayton at home to go 2-3 over the next 5 then I'll be feeling that they can become a good team.

But letting my own eyes do the judging from seeing all the home games so far I think this group can win 3 out of the next 5.  And it wouldn't surprise me to see 4 wins.  I'm in no way expecting or predicting 4 out of 5, just saying that such a thing would not surprise me.  I'm feeling pretty hopeful right now.

The first order of business is to beat RMU as expected tomorrow.  I hope to see the Dukes punish them.  If they do, it will be a very positive sign for the rest of the season.

12/18/2015 2:06 pm  #14

Perhaps a bit too optimistic there for me VBC.
I do think this team can go 2-3 over the next five, but can't see much more than that.  Obviously the RMU and UD games are the key ones at home.

The three road games are at teams that are a combined 18-0 at home this year.  It'll be very tough to steal one of those games, yet alone more than that.

12/18/2015 5:10 pm  #15

rogabee wrote:

Perhaps a bit too optimistic there for me VBC.
I do think this team can go 2-3 over the next five, but can't see much more than that.  Obviously the RMU and UD games are the key ones at home.

The three road games are at teams that are a combined 18-0 at home this year.  It'll be very tough to steal one of those games, yet alone more than that.

GT did lose to ETSU at home. Not that it'll make the trip any easier. Still will be extremely tough. What scares me about GT is their inside game. It will take everything we have to stop Charles Mitchell, a DDbl machine.

12/18/2015 5:49 pm  #16

Based on Sagarin's report including all games played through Thursday, Dec 17th, the Dukes are ranked #125 and Robert Morris is ranked #303.  The Dukes are favored to beat Bobby Mo by 17 points.  Based on this evaluation alone, RM is clearly one of the worst teams the Dukes will have played this season.  Beating RM may possibly increase the Dukes' ranking.       

12/18/2015 10:21 pm  #17

Dukes need to blow RMU off the floor. Five years of losing to this program is awfully hard to take. Unbelievable, really. The team needs to make a statement. Get it done, Dukes!

Board footera