Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2015 7:31 pm  #1

DU 76 #25 St Johns 57

DU women with a monster second half!!  Trailing by 3 at the half and down 6 early in the 3rd, Kadri Anne Lass put Dukes up with a beautiful post play and foul.  Dukes went up 45-42 and never looked back. 

Huge game by Dev Workman and April as well

Last edited by duqkurt (12/19/2015 8:37 pm)

12/19/2015 7:55 pm  #2

Re: DU 76 #25 St Johns 57

Big win, and resume builder, for the women.  Go Dukes!

12/19/2015 9:14 pm  #3

St Johns had ABSOLUTELY NO ANSWER for Workman - She almost looked like LeBron out there - posting up driving to the hoop draining threes!!!  they had some really small really quick guards - a few inside players and seemingly nothing else.  Those were Kadri's Only three points - but GREAT to see when one player struggles the others step up Ladies should REALLY enjoy THEIR break for the holiday!!!

12/19/2015 9:34 pm  #4

I am so proud of this women's team this year.  

12/19/2015 9:44 pm  #5

This has to be one of the biggest wins in program history

12/19/2015 9:49 pm  #6

SkepticAl wrote:

St Johns had ABSOLUTELY NO ANSWER for Workman - She almost looked like LeBron out there - posting up driving to the hoop draining threes!!!  they had some really small really quick guards - a few inside players and seemingly nothing else.  Those were Kadri's Only three points - but GREAT to see when one player struggles the others step up Ladies should REALLY enjoy THEIR break for the holiday!!!

I thought St Johns was very talented but we were better.  Out worked them in second half.  Gronas played excellent perimeter defense.  They didn't have an open 3 point look until the game was well in hand. 

Kadri had some good looks.  Shot just didn't fall tonight.  But like you said, her teammates scored for her.

And Dev Workman reminds me of Jocelyn Floyd.  She refuses to lose.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/19/2015 9:49 pm)

12/19/2015 9:51 pm  #7

I'm interested in hearing Robabees comments.

12/19/2015 10:34 pm  #8

duqkurt wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

I thought St Johns was very talented but we were better. Out worked them in second half. Gronas played excellent perimeter defense. They didn't have an open 3 point look until the game was well in hand.

Kadri had some good looks. Shot just didn't fall tonight. But like you said, her teammates scored for her.

And Dev Workman reminds me of Jocelyn Floyd. She refuses to lose.

Dev truly lives up to her surname when she's on the court.  Once she gets into her groove, it's hard to stop her. 

I look for the Dukes' name to appear in one or both women's polls among those "teams getting votes" when they come out next Tuesday.

After the game I spoke to Coach Dan Burt about extending the series with St. John's beyond the current two-game arrangement.  He was very favorable to my suggestion.  We shall see.

A Dukes' win over Pitt on Dec. 30th would certainly top off the non-conference schedule with a special belated Christmas gift for fans of the Dukes' women's team.      

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/19/2015 10:35 pm)

12/20/2015 2:19 am  #9

Duquesne basketball fans need to support this team.Its difficult to predict the future but having watched
this team and its coaching staff,the coaching is excellent and Burt is a better  game day coach than
Suzie. Looking at the young talent already making a impact , another great recruiting class  that will be
coming in and a junior point guard from Ketterington Alter in Ohio ,Libby Bazelak who will be one of the
top 5 players in the state of Ohio next year.Duquesne women are in a position for great moments.,national attention.
   Mr Harper ,you are a fund raiser,you need to recognize what you have in  Dan Burt . He needs that new
house in Fox Chapel,he needs that new sports car to go with the beautiful estate in Fox Chapel.He needs
that vacation house in the Carribean.Get it done.I am tired of hopin and dreaming for next year that never
comes.Spend money to make money. In 1977 I was young and now I take medicine for arthritis,medicine
for a ulcer.Meanwhile Duquesne keeps stumbling along ho hum.We need a plan for excellence now before
womens basketball regresses and we are back to being the chumps of the A10.

12/20/2015 5:11 am  #10

duqkurt wrote:

I'm interested in hearing Robabees comments.

My long list of comments...

Excellent win over a top 25 team at home.  AJP is going to be an absolute nightmare for any team to go and win at.  The 402 people that stayed or came for the women's game had a lot to be happy about...

First, for St. John's.
The Red Storm didn't play like a top 25 team last night, but more like a top 50-75.  Not to take anything away from our Dukes, who still beat a very good team handily, but St. John's didn't have their greatest game.  Aliyyah Handford, one of the top guards in the country and two-time unanimous first team all BE, picked up her second foul on a well-drawn foul by Omogrosso less than four minutes into the game.  The Dukes kept going after Handford and she would only play 16 minutes before fouling out with only 9 points.  Her foul trouble also limited her aggression.  It was also of help to the Dukes that Danaejah Grant, a player who averaged over 20 a game coming in on over 50% shooting, went 4-18 from the field and struggled all afternoon.  When St. John's Big 2 senior guards both struggle, SJU is going to struggle much like our men's team would with DC and MM both struggling...and good luck beating a good team on the road.  Some credit does go to Duquesne there though.  They made life miserable for both Handford and Grant, allowing few open looks.  The big beneficiary for the Red Storm was Jade Walker, whose size and offensive IQ was giving the Dukes fits in the first half.  For whatever reason, SJU didn't go back to her that often in the second half, nor did they run a play that was beating Burt's squad routinely.  There also wasn't the patented punch-back that I'm used to for the Red Storm after DU made it's third quarter run.  Typically top 25 teams have a fight back there once they've taken a punch...

On to DU's side of the ball.
Great rebounding effort as a team to finish a +3 on the boards. 
April Robinson - WOW!   A terrific performance by Burt's catalyst.  As I said on the other board, the 15-7-11 line doesn't even do it justice.  Solid D, team leadership, her high basketball IQ coming in handy, and a lot that doesn't show on the statsheet yesterday afternoon.  Excellent game.
Workman - Awesome second half performance.  I said to the folks sitting next to me at halftime that Deva'Nyar was my key to the game, one direction or the other in the second half.  Well...she had another great performance and led the team on.  Tied a career high in points.  As someone else said, her surname fits well.  Hopefully she's fine after the mid-court collision near the end of the game.  She appeared to be, but I thought she also looked like she was holding her hip once or twice.
Gronas - Proved some folks wrong about her not having the athleticism to level up to better competition.  Her length bothered SJU's offense more than Omogrosso could provide, and had two steal -> 1-0 layups. (Didn't think I'd say that!)  Very good performance.
Lass - Struggled for only the second time all year on every end - offense, defense, rebounding.  Yet, she hit the one big shot when needed.  Much better days are ahead for her...
Szamosi - Some excellent defense inside yesterday.  The obvious highlights are the shotclock winding down, give it to Amadea and let it rip moments, but the D and rebounding was exceptional.  An overlooked double-double by many.
Richardson - Once again, won't show up in the statsheet, but 6 minutes of athleticism off the bench in games like this is helpful...
Omogrosso - It was a game more suited for Gronas, but Chassidy certainly held her own.  11 points including two fastbreak layups, two key fouls drawn.

Burt - Excellent job keeping the Big 2 of the Red Flash in check the whole game.  He's gotten this team to play great D for a team that wants to play fast and was able to hold SJU's big 2 in check.  The halftime switch of going to more Gronas and less Omogrosso paid off in a big way as did just letting Workman take over. 

---

Hate that I have to wait until after the holiday break for the Pitt game.

12/20/2015 7:18 am  #11

Rogabee:  EXCELLENT ANALYSIS -  First when the AP ranks Woman's Teams -  I wonder HOW accurate they can be -  Once you get away from the UConns Notre Dames etc.  On the men's side - the voters if they chose get to SEE the teams they are ranking - and have some basis for the comparison  How many of the voters (and this goes for the Selection Committee in March as well will have SEEN the Lady Dukes - AND some of the other teams fighting for those last few slots -  AND how many times will they have seen them. Can make comparisons/rankings difficult.

My presumption as to how St. Johns might have gotten ranked is the athleticism of some of their guards - get a good deal of steals with their quickness convert into layups etc - take advantage of passes thrown away -  I can't remember St Johns getting an easy lay up from SINGLE STEAL OF A BAD PASS - they may have gotten some steals when the Lady Dukes were trying to get the ball inside but that is really part of the game.

And that is ONE other item - that won't show up in the Box Score which is a CREDIT to April as well for the bulk of the ball handling she did -  same goes a little for Chassidy and the others.

As I said to a pair of fans as we were waiting for the elevator in the Parking Garage after the second game -  It's NICE to beat Bobby Mo for a change

AND AS FOR THE LADIES - WOW!!!

12/20/2015 10:02 am  #12

I'm starting to wonder why Workman doesn't start, but of course Dan Burt deserves the benefit of any doubt, & in any event she still plays a lotta minutes. Look at the 5 who got the most minutes yesterday & I gotta believe that they might be Burt's "team" when it gets down to it.

In the late 2nd-half time-out, Coach Wojdowski asked the players why they were so concerned about guarding against the 3 when St. John wasn't shooting 3's. After that, the defense got better & started to stop their drives, as well as rebounds & steals which are crucial to our "transition"* game.  By about the middle of the 3rd quarter, I thought that our tempo & tenacity wore them down, & we were beating them to every rebound & loose ball.

I'm not smart enough to know whether St. John's deserves their #25 ranking or not, but they're quick & athletic & have some size up front.  Good win for Duquesne.

12/20/2015 11:32 am  #13

Officer Dribble:  Red Auerbach (A pretty fair coach in his day - NOT sure if his methods would work today) Said "It does NOT matter who starts the game - It matters who FINISHES the game"

(Especially in close games)  

Maybe Workman is a little more comfortable coming off the bench. It can take a different type of mentality -  Did the Celtics REALLY have five player better than Havilcek for most of his career?  He was reportedly RELUCTANT when they wanted him to start but by then several of the other starters had retired.

12/20/2015 1:57 pm  #14

Way to go ladies!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/20/2015 3:17 pm  #15

Thanks Rogabee.  Enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Dribble. - I think Workman could start.  But I like her sixth woman role.

Al - I agree with the polls.  Coaches poll and media poll.  There is a lot of teams they can't be seeing and voting on reputation.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/20/2015 3:20 pm)

12/20/2015 11:02 pm  #16

Don't get me wrong, gentlemen---I got no real complaints about who starts & who doesn't.  More like me just wondering whether it's something Burt is considering.  There's not much to complain about when you're 11-1. 

Board footera