Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2015 4:28 pm  #1

Mason

Is a game time decision for the Dayton game per a Chris Harlan tweet.

12/31/2015 5:12 pm  #2

Re: Mason

It's a long season.  If he is sick or hurt, he isn't 100 percent.  Keep him out and get someone else a lot of playing time.

12/31/2015 5:14 pm  #3

And per Craig Meyer of the PG, Nakye Sanders is also a game time decision due to a scratched cornea.

12/31/2015 9:59 pm  #4

Ugh! This is a big game. I'd hate to be at less than 100% for it. If Mason can't play, put James at the 2, and go big with a front line of Gill, Lewis, and Powell. I guess I'd rather have guys out for these games that were going to be difficult to win, than to be shorthanded against the teams we can beat, and then end up dropping games we'd win healthy.

12/31/2015 11:35 pm  #5

It must be confusing for Dayton?  Now who do they over-play to shut down the Dukes?  Probably driving them nuts.  Eric should play the  2 and play two  bigs at the same time all game and see what happens.  I think this team  has the potential to really play well in a set half court game when they need to.  Anyway, we will see the kids off the bench play more this game and maybe  that's not all bad.   Go Dukes. I like their chances here.   

1/01/2016 11:38 am  #6

According to the Post-Gazette, he has a sprained ankle.  This is a difficult game to win WITH him.  I agree with duq81.  Keep him out for this game which would have been tough to win anyhow, get other guys playing time, and get him healthy for the next game.  You don't want him having this as a problem all year.  As far as Sanders out, he is easier to replace.

1/01/2016 11:44 am  #7

NapaDuke wrote:

It must be confusing for Dayton?  Now who do they over-play to shut down the Dukes?  Probably driving them nuts.  Eric should play the  2 and play two  bigs at the same time all game and see what happens.  I think this team  has the potential to really play well in a set half court game when they need to.  Anyway, we will see the kids off the bench play more this game and maybe  that's not all bad.   Go Dukes. I like their chances here.   

Not sure I understand this. The lineup almost always has 2 bigs in it, where "bigs" is defined as 6'8" and taller. Three bigs would be the experiment, not two.

1/01/2016 3:32 pm  #8

You know, your right, which brings up a point, when was the last time the Dukes could have standing on the court 6'8" or more in 2 plus players, I mean real game time players, not project sitting on the bench?  Maybe 1969, or 1970?  Shows what I've been saying.  I don't know how, but he did, Ferry has amassed a serious collection of interior players that can actually PLAY!!  My case for the senior guards to be looking to set up by dribble penetrating for assist  rather than going to the hoop or shooting covered 3's makes a lot of sense. Want to get to post-season, get inside and stay there.  Someone posted the stat from the last game that we beat them in the paint, that's true while we were in the lead, but when the last 5 minutes happened, the senior guards made it a perimeter game and we got killed in the paint.  Show some discipline, maintain balance, control the clock, control the paint and win on this new interior game that Ferry somehow brought in here.   Don't know how he did it, but he did. And another thing, the GT commentators said Eric James is the most athletic player with a high BB IQ  that the Dukes have. It's what I've seen and he can be the future and premier play maker on this team if he keeps getting the time now to grow.  Their commentators are  looking from the outside looking in, and said " Lewis is a force and James is very athletic and talented".  This team has a very serious bright future, but these players can make an impact right know.  Hope the coaches and senior guards get with it.  Think for a moment, who leads this team next year? And if they are not getting a chance to have  a break-out season this year, how will they lead?  This is the corner we could turn.  It's there, hope it happens.       

1/01/2016 3:46 pm  #9

Agreed, Napa.  E. James has a great skill set plus quickness getting to the ball - off the glass, on the floor, on defense. Anticipating where to be is the basketball IQ aspect. The 40" vertical jump is a pretty nice tool too. I also see a big future for Powell. There's a guy who is quick and can throw 'em down with anybody.  

1/01/2016 3:53 pm  #10

We had a huge front line in 79-80. 6'9" Doug Arnold, 6'8" Bruce Atkins, and a rotation at center of 6'9" Fred Moon, and 7'0" Rick Tunstall. Rice started all four of them, along with BB in that infamous game at Penn St.

1/01/2016 9:59 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

We had a huge front line in 79-80. 6'9" Doug Arnold, 6'8" Bruce Atkins, and a rotation at center of 6'9" Fred Moon, and 7'0" Rick Tunstall. Rice started all four of them, along with BB in that infamous game at Penn St.

Your right, I forgot.   Good point.

1/01/2016 10:09 pm  #12

applecorps wrote:

Agreed, Napa.  E. James has a great skill set plus quickness getting to the ball - off the glass, on the floor, on defense. Anticipating where to be is the basketball IQ aspect. The 40" vertical jump is a pretty nice tool too. I also see a big future for Powell. There's a guy who is quick and can throw 'em down with anybody.  

I like the up side on Powell too. He shows a great amount of sense to the basket, It's not easy to find this many young big guys that play aggressive in the paint like this year.  These young interior players may just start to do some real damage in the paint this year as this season moves along.  

1/01/2016 11:51 pm  #13

NapaDuke wrote:

applecorps wrote:

I like the up side on Powell too. He shows a great amount of sense to the basket, It's not easy to find this many young big guys that play aggressive in the paint like this year.  These young interior players may just start to do some real damage in the paint this year as this season moves along.  

As you know, I'm a great believer in having size. I'll always believe the lack of size is what kept Ron from getting all the way over the hump. He tried, but we never seemed to have enough quality bigs, except for year 2. We're really going to have depth up front next year.

1/02/2016 9:50 am  #14

Yes, no matter what anyone says, size does matter.

Board footera