Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2016 7:20 am  #1

Potpourri

After the loss to Davidson coach Ferry congratulated his team defense, holding them to only 77 points,  did same following Dayton.  
In every loss,  Jarrett describes the Dukes as being worn down in the second half, and did so again last night.
Where are the blocked shots. forced turnovers and steals as the game is on the line?
Glad to see Marq Jackson playing:  a field goal, a steal and 2 for 2 at the line in 6 minutes.  Where's he been?

1/07/2016 10:29 am  #2

Re: Potpourri

Hilltopper wrote:

In every loss,  Jarrett describes the Dukes as being worn down in the second half, and did so again last night.
Where are the blocked shots. forced turnovers and steals as the game is on the line?
Glad to see Marq Jackson playing:  a field goal, a steal and 2 for 2 at the line in 6 minutes.  Where's he been? 

As far as being worn down, I could potentially see that argument being made in the UD game where Dayton was very liberally subbing.  This one?  Davidson played their top guys 40-40-36 minutes.  If the Dukes were worn out, Davidson should have been too.

The forced turnovers and steals were going to be hard to come by.  Davidson entered the game in the top 10 in the country in turnovers per game at only 10.0.  The Dukes forced 13 last night including nine steals.  I don't see the complaint there.

Regarding Marqwell, he was behind both Jeremiah and Eric James at the three.  With the Jeremiah injury, it has opened some minutes up for him.  He certainly wasn't going to play the two much with all the minutes to Mason - and Eric James and/or Castro was the backup there anyway.

1/07/2016 10:48 am  #3

I've been trying to say it, I think Marqwell can be a bright spot for this team. You guys are saying we look worn down. One rotation could be Micah at the 1 (DC rest) Eric at the 2. Marqwell the 3 and then a mix of Powell, LG, and Lewis in the 4 and 5. 

This is just to get DC some rest while keeping Castro off the court. Another option would be to start subbing Steel for DC. 

Roll Dukes Roll

1/07/2016 11:09 am  #4

My two cents is that we just need guys to step up and play to their potential.  This three point shooting drought, and unforced errors, has to end.  I am hoping that our seniors Mason and Colter will just get this funk out of their system and unload on GW. Every team is going to have adversity.  As pointed out Davidson beat us short handed.  We got to start being mentally tough..  Let's end this skid now and get back to winning. By the way St. Louis beat GW last night. 

1/07/2016 12:32 pm  #5

You are spot on CLK in your analysis. Somehow, some way the Dukes need the 1, 2 and 3 to function as close as possible as to when Jere Jones was in the lineup. Things just got out of kilter with the loss of Jere and then the injury to Micah.  The Dukes played well vs. a good GT team. (See Pitt 89, GT 84)   The discombobulations (someone please spell check this for me!)  started without Micah vs. Dayton.  Even so they could and maybe should have won that game!  Micah just did not have it-his 3-point shooting touch- last night against Davidson. My suspicion is that his timing and balance are a little off with the ankle injury, e.g., inability to stop on a dime and shoot, inability to set up and release as previously, whatever phrase you like to use.   They still are a good team despite the 0-2 start against A-10 teams.

1/07/2016 1:10 pm  #6

rogabee wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

As far as being worn down, I could potentially see that argument being made in the UD game where Dayton was very liberally subbing.  This one?  Davidson played their top guys 40-40-36 minutes.  If the Dukes were worn out, Davidson should have been too.

The forced turnovers and steals were going to be hard to come by.  Davidson entered the game in the top 10 in the country in turnovers per game at only 10.0.  The Dukes forced 13 last night including nine steals.  I don't see the complaint there.

Regarding Marqwell, he was behind both Jeremiah and Eric James at the three.  With the Jeremiah injury, it has opened some minutes up for him.  He certainly wasn't going to play the two much with all the minutes to Mason - and Eric James and/or Castro was the backup there anyway.

Doesn't this all come down to style of play where McKillop teaches disciplined half court ball control style emphasizing fundamentals designed to limit turnovers and errors.  It's worked for him past 26 years at Davidson in which he's won 20 games in 22 of those 26 while we are in year 4 and looking  for 1st winning season.
And, of those 3 Davidson players with hi minutes 2 are underclassmen, Gibbs, jr @ 6ft, Watkins,soph@6-1 and Aldridge,6-8 soph.  Like Dayton, both these teams rely on underclassmen.

Last edited by Hilltopper (1/07/2016 1:12 pm)

1/07/2016 3:02 pm  #7

Hilltopper Thank You. Eric James has more than adequately filled in for Jeremiah. Davidson played without Brian Sullivan and as with any team including us suffered but were able to persevere. The start of the second half would have blown my coaches head off and brought a time out. And Grammy before you tear in to me let me state I am biased by the fact that I just don't like our style of play. And in a past post in speaking of accountability I meant players and not Ferry he needs to hold them more so than what it appears. His only form of doing that is playing time. I will not buy into we are still a "good team" since I believe a good team would compensate for the lost players. Not to be obnoxious but what is a TEAM, all of its members. I hate all the Tomlin quotes but it is a case of "next man up."

Last edited by The Dome (1/07/2016 3:11 pm)

Board footera